Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suspension upgrade all 4 corners or ???????

Shayne

Guru
I have to replace my rear shocks so i may as well do away with the coil spacers and have 2" upgrades with springs to match .

Question is should I do all 4 corners or just sort the rear out and worry about the front once I have a winch and obviously winch tray fitted ?

My current thoughts are uprated springs for the extra weight on a swb is likely to be overkill , Pedders offer these but looking at their website all there kits are aimed at the lwb 95 .

Roughtrax offers a Monroe 2" lift kit but no options for a weight uprated spring .

The Monroe sets are winning right now but I don't want to regret it later so what do you think ?

Chris, TonyP, Trevor and SAE90 should be able to give you some valuable feedback on this following their experiences with Lil Blue and Fiery. (Both SWB 90s)

If it was me I would buy the necessary kit for all 4 corners in one go (obviously based on what you will have i.e. front winch bumper etc, not what you have now), then fit as you fit the rest of the kit. The info should be out there to help you decide. Having said that, you may have to be prepared to make adjustments anyway. :shifty:

I might be wrong, but i think Chris bought the Monroe set up from milners for little blue and wasn't happy with it. get the best kit that you can afford.

If this is only a 2" suspension lift it makes me wonder just how much have my springs which are probably original have sunk :shock: I always assumed body and coil spacers gave me about a 4" lift but with the new bouncy bits ordered I look forward to fitting them with more than a little trepidation .

attachment.php

Correct Joe. You are wrong. Ha ha.

I fitted Old man Emu to Lil Blue and packing spacers too so that it was level. But that was all a very long time ago. I was happy with it but not the price. I also messed with top spacers, something that SAE later perfected.

Hi Shayne,
I see you found a picture of Sluug after I fitted the pedders kit. Still pleased with it, its firm but not so firm that its uncomfortable.

No spacers or body lift kit there just new bouncy bits as you put it lol.

I gained 100mm on the back and 60mm on the front when I fitted them, my rear springs were completely shot when I took them off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Greengrass yeah your truck convinced me that Pedders is the way to go but I have sent you a pm regarding their advice on standard size but heavier rated springs on the rear which concerns me a little .

OK, I know its a 95, but still very happy with my Pedders kit. The only thing I need to do is swap the springs to HD springs on the front after fitting the winch bar - it dropped nearly 2" !

I didn't fit heavy duty springs to mine, I sometimes tow with Sluug if the hilux also has a trailer on. If I do its normally 2-2.5 tonnes digger or tractor on a trailer, as long as you don't load up the drawbar too much the standard springs are fine,

I think if you fitted heavy duty springs on a 90 the ride would be awful, lwb trucks always ride better. Although my hilux has leaf springs on the back it rides the bumps better than Sluug much less fidgety on the road.

The only down side I've found since fitting the lift is that the front wheels spin up easily if you are in a hurry at junctions and the road is a bit moist. You had to push it very hard before fitting the lift for this to happen, more so if your towing.

Hope this helps

Interesting Steve , my chat with Pedders ran into half an hour and then they had to call me back and so much was said that I can't be sure of what exactly will be sent . My brief was I drive like a lunatic on and off road , a winch will be fitted and a winch bumper is a distinct possibility , and when I tow it tends to be at the limit of the trucks weight rating or maybe just a smidgen beyong :shifty::shhh: .

They summed up by saying its gonna have a hard life :icon-biggrin:

They did take an active interest in my swb v lwb theory and because its Oz kit and the swb wasn't sold in Oz they went to the trouble of cross checking data for other trucks such as the Pajero and as a result what I'm getting is a mix and match . Scary process I just hope they took onboard that I need a 2" lift or my tyres won't fit anymore :pray:

I didn't fit heavy duty springs to mine - The only down side I've found since fitting the lift is that the front wheels spin up easily if you are in a hurry at junctions and the road is a bit moist. You had to push it very hard before fitting the lift for this to happen, more so if your towing . Hope this helps

I have that problem already GG with the coil spacer lift and long ago decided it was due to the rear squatting :think: maybe not then :? nevermind it just adds a bit more character to the truck I reckon :icon-biggrin:

I tend to drive like a girl, (in the truck!) so have never spun any of the trucks wheels - the misses on the other hand........................................

Back