Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Test driving the LC3 - Question

Trevor

Country Flag
england
Hi Chaps,

Okay, finance is in place and now looking to go and test drive some LC3's (53 and 04 plate). I have never owned or driven a 4x4 before. Any tips on what to check when using low ratio and locks etc to check they work as they should?

Have read that you can engage certain things at certain speeds but don't want to break it or look like a complete novice either. :oops:

Thanks

Trevor

Biggest thing would be the centre and, on the LC3, rear diff. Push the button next to the cig lighter, a couple of lights on the dash should start blinking and then stay solid. Diff is now engaged. If they continue to blink, there is a problem with it. Most common are not enough use so the actuator gets stuck or, the actuator is not working. This could be expensive.

If it struggles to lock, drive slowly in an S-bend (not advisable on a main road :hand: ) and it might lock up. This is normal sometimes (oxymoron?)

The rear diff I am not sure on, I believe it has to be in LL or L before the rear diff will lock. Someone who has an LC3 or owned one in the past can help.

Assuming low ratio does not automatically lock (it does not on LC4/5) the centre or rear diff, you are fine to drive in it although it'll be slow and uncomfortable.

The center diff can be engaged at speeds up to 50mph. Most of the time you don't notice it but if you hear / feel a slight thump, that is normal.

Most importantly, when either diff is locked, don't make large turns on tarmac. Sand, gravel or grass.

Finally, when unlocking, sometimes it will not unlock until you do the slow S-bend or reverse. Also normal.

Enjoy...

The LC3 isn't an electronic diff lock it's the little lever next to the shift stick. LC4 and upwards gets fancy button

C

Thanks Chris,

My understanding is the LC3 has permanent 4WD with a centre diff and rear diff which are capable of being locked.

So by applying the lever, does this lock the centre and the rear diff at the same time? or is there a seperate control for each?

I'm sure the confusion will wear off when I have bought one and when I have found somewhere to learn how to drive the thing properly.

:?:

Trevor said:
Thanks Chris,

My understanding is the LC3 has permanent 4WD with a centre diff and rear diff which are capable of being locked.

So by applying the lever, does this lock the centre and the rear diff at the same time? or is there a seperate control for each?

I'm sure the confusion will wear off when I have bought one and when I have found somewhere to learn how to drive the thing properly.

:?:

Hi Trevor,

The land Cruiser you are looking at is permanent 4 wheel drive.
You don't have or need an option to just want the rear wheels to be driven.

To engage the centre diff locking, this is as Chris says, selected by the shorter selector stick.
Normally, the shorter stick is fully rearwards. this is the normal running position, with the centre diff unlocked.

The moving of the shorter lever to 1 notch forward, engages the centre diff locking, and this can be done at any speed up to about 50 mph, if I remember, but could even be 60 mph.
When your on a strait road, you really cant feel any difference, so good is the synchronism to all 4 wheels.
First at the bottom of the speedo, a little orange car thing will start to flash, and when the centre diff locks, it stops flashing, and is permanently on.

OK, now that's on tarmac, and now to do some checks for the rear diff locking.

You should tri find some lose gravel, but if you can't then dont worry,
OK, so stop the 'cruiser.
Now the short stick, push it all the way forward, past the center diff lock position, and past the transfer box neutral position. All the way forward.
Now that engages bottom box, or low ratio, both the same meaning.

Now drive of gently, and you will very soon see that instead of doing 20 mph, you only doing about 5 mph,
Then you will notice the orange light is on constant again, because you cant have low range, without centre diff locking.
OK, so now the orange light is on permanent, now by your right knee, there is a rotary knob / dial thing, turn it clock wise to the extent, it turns about 90 degrees, maybe.
Now look also near the little orange centre diff locking light, and look for the similar light, but in red, first it will flash, which means the rear diff is waiting for an opportunity to line the splines, and lock.
When the red light stops flashing and gos solid red, then the rear diff is locked.

OK, now stop the cruiser, turn the dial back to unlock, and drive a short distance, and if all is ok, then the red light will disappear, and the rear diff is unlocked.
Then stop the cruiser again, and push the short stick, all the way forward, to normal running position, ie, center diff unlocked.

Now, because your probably on tarmac, there is every chance the splines in the diff, will not line up, so the little red light will always flash, and never go solid.
OH, you cant lock the rear diff in high ratio, must be in low ratio.
So go find some mud, and get some slip going between the rear wheels.

And same again to unlock, you might find again, because your on Tarmac, the little red light will stay solid, ie, the rear diff wont unlock, well, you may have to jack a rear wheel up to try to rock the lifted wheel forwars or backwards, to tru take pressure off he rear diff, which is still holding the diff locked.

But if your doing it on some nice wet grass, or mud, then the rear diff should lock and unlock easy, withing say 20 meters.
or you might have to induce some slip between the rear wheels by driving in a circle, so outside rear wheel travels further than the inside rear wheel.

Graham

Thanks for assistance everyone, not sure how I managed it but I have just bought an '03 LC4 and pick it up this week. Very exciting, first job is to get the injectors out and washers checked so will follow Crispins post to the letter.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Congrats! :thumbup: Need pics! Need Pics.

Did you go for auto or manual?

As for following my stuff to the letter, you might want to use some lateral thinking - following me may lead to disaster :?

Went for manual, not bad to drive actually. Graphite Grey sort of colour, privacy glass. not as tricked out inside as I would have liked but was pleased to get the LC4 for LC3 money. Centre diff but no height adjust and the pants LCD sat nav. It passed the wife friendly test and is just over the 100k miles, given I got this to not off road then its okay, but oooh so want to get fully bitten by the bug though.

Will post pics once I have it.

Good stuff.

Yes the sat nav that came with the LC4 is rubbish. It does what it says on the tin but I never actually use mine. Prefer a "normal" one.
Height adjusting suspension is only on the LC5

As for the off road, go on, give it a try ;)

Nice one... as Crispin says :text-worthless:

Word of caution though.... avoid going off road at all costs.... cause as soon as you do it will bcome a bottomless pit of upgades... believe me, it starts off as recovery gear, tyres, upgraded suspension, body lift, winch bumpers, winch.... etc etc etc... bottomless I tell you!

Enjoy

And a proper rear locker - which is standard on the LC3. Never mind :?

Well done. Sounds nice, I had that colour on my LC3. I think it's the best.

Let's have those pics up.

Chris

TonyP said:
Nice one... as Crispin says :text-worthless:

Word of caution though.... avoid going off road at all costs.... cause as soon as you do it will bcome a bottomless pit of upgades... believe me, it starts off as recovery gear, tyres, upgraded suspension, body lift, winch bumpers, winch.... etc etc etc... bottomless I tell you!

Enjoy

It's more addictive than heroin! You only have to go once and you're hooked!

Congratulations! Hope you have miles of smiles ... :clap: :clap:

So, I get the Cruiser into the garage to have a service, get the oil pickup pipe checked and the injectors out to check/replace washers. Service done, oil pickup pipe done...... 5 to 6 days lead time on 4 washers...grrr. Good job I'm on my hols next week, will come back and actually get to pick the Beast up.

Now trying to convince the Mrs that the Kenwood all singing radio replacement with reversing camera is an alternative to parking sensors lol.

Back