Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Buyer's Remorse is Strong in This One, Today.

Definately worth the asking price now, or is it a keeper ?...

I'm still waiting for my brake flaring tool etc. to arrive and then I'll be replacing all those disintegrated pipes which connect to the LSV. I'll see how much torment that lot inflicts on me, before I decide.

It'll either be pleasant tinkering. Or....

Once you get those shiny new pipes on............
I think the white vinegar has a higher acidic content, last lot I used was the highest I could find 5%, but if the single ? malt gets that result with a bit longer soak, all good.
I'm guessing but the malt is white vinegar that has been coloured by the malt and hence diluted.
How's the internals, that would concern me on brake parts ?

I think the white vinegar has a higher acidic content

The intarwebs agrees with you...

White vinegar’s acetic acid content is anything up to 10%. The remaining content of a bottle of white vinegar is made up of about 90% water.

On the other hand, distilled malt vinegar has a lower acetic acid content level of around, if not less than, 4%.

The high level of acetic acid in white vinegar is what makes it a good cleaning product. The acetic acid helps to loosen up and remove tough stains.

I'll have to get myself some white next time.

Also according to the intarwebs, the boiling point of Acetic Acid is 117.9 °C. So, theoretically, it should be possible to concentrate it even more by boiling off some of the water. although there's not that much leeway. Probably cheaper just to buy the Acetic Acid or any of the other popular rust busters, like Phosphoric Acid [which, if I remember correctly is the one in Coca Cola that eats rust.... and teeth]

Thats interesting with the water content, buy a litre, boil it off and end up with an egg cup full, - if your lucky. Don't hold me to that, no scientific studies done.
Coca cola eh ? I remember it well as a schoolboy (I think) putting a dirty brownish old penny, (remember them) in some Coke overnight and having a shiny 'new' penny in the morning.
Eee, them were the days !

You can buy a litre of 99% Acetic Acid for twenty quid on eBay. So, if my shaky maths are right, that would make 20 litres of standard 5% vinegar. or less litres of extra-pokey vinegar.

Just remember to keep it separate from the stuff you put on your chips!

The highest strength Phosphoric Acid you can get is 75% for a litre. I've no idea what the recommended dilution for rust removal is on that stuff. So I don't know how far that would stretch. Also, I think it's a bit more dodgy to work with than Acetic Acid, because of the fumes etc.

I think pretty much any acid can be used for rust removal. I've heard of people using lemon juice. In fact I've got a bag of Vitamin C powder [AKA Ascorbic Acid] in the cupboard, which would probably be even better. But it was a bit expensive to be experimenting with it for rust removal.

I've also heard that molasses / black treacle works. The sticky nature of that would be ideal for painting on underneath on something like a chassis. But it would be a hell of a job to rinse it off again. And probably as dangerous as the Phosphoric Acid approach, if you did it during the height of the wasp season.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've used old battery acid before.

Just curious, would you guys trust MOT report history?

It has its uses.

For example, if I see an Advisory for something which is a fairly easy fix [such as a worn tyre, cracked light, etc] cropping up on 3 or 4 MOTs in a row, combined with a seller who is claiming a vehicle has been maintained 'regardless of cost' then the alarm bells start to ring.

Likewise, a long list of previous Fails in the history of something that is now being sold with a full 'no Advisories' MOT could mean that someone has taken the time and expense to do all the work that needs doing. But, again, rings the alarm bells with me. Why spend all that time and money and then sell it? It smells like either a jinxed vehicle, or something that's been botched up to sell.

On the converse side, a clean MOT history, while encouraging, isn't necessarily proof that a vehicle has been lovingly maintained [Ask me how I know!!]. MOT testers are humans too; they make mistakes, they do favours for mates, they have days when they're in good moods and bad.

As the saying goes; Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Hmmm... I feel I should edit the title of this thread, now that it's meandered far and wide from its original "Oh, woe is me!" beginnings and become an all-encompassing blockbuster.

Any suggestions? And no, you can't have; "Stuzbot Blubs Like a Big Girl, After Encountering Some Rusty Bolts"

Oh yes. Let the lad retain a bit of dignity.

EDIT: Dammit! --I thought only I could edit the title of my own threads. Blummin' mods. Give them a uniform and they think they're Hitler!

Last edited:
Stuzbot, it's no mistake when they blatantly ignore stuff, and I'm speaking from experience here,
rust that is well established, but no mention of it on mot for years leading up to a discovery on private inspection, and despite VOSAs attempts to bring everything in line with computerised stuff, to help prevent fiddling, there are still glaringly obvious differences between one mot inspector and another, that they don't agree on. Some advisories are a joke too.
I always want a pass, yes, but I don't want an iffy ? mot, that may differ between individuals who are supposedly trained to the same ? standards, and may be dangerous further along the line.
As said by several, mot can only be taken as a guide for us to figure out, not the truth.
Not trying to cause an arguement with anyone, just my own observations.
Apologies for going further off your thread.

Back