Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The end of slavery

Many things deemed normal, acceptable behaviour a few centuries, or even a few decades ago, in the West are now unacceptable; likewise much of what is deemed normal in the Middle East and parts of Asia today would be unacceptable in the West.
Thought long and hard before I posted this as some things once known/seen are very difficult to forget .

Never better illustrated than by the young British soldiers who witnessed a Father slit his own young daughters throat to preserve his honour or the husband that beat and kicked his pregnant young wife in the stomach for the same reason..... or some of the atrocities carried out in the Balkans in the 90's by people we would think of as Western....

The world is a sick place and to try and differentiate by simple things like colour of skin or religion won't help.....

Why is a Land Cruiser site the right forum for any of this? #CrusersNotArguments
Fair challenge, and yes it's in the Lounge section, so should be fine. But these threads often end up getting personal as the opinions are often at either ends.

As long as conversation stays within the rules and does not get personal or insulting and remains respectful then fine, but I'll have no hesitation locking the thread if it all goes south.

I also note that the OP has not posted in here since starting the thread, so why start the debate if you are not going to contribute

Tony I posted the picture as a statement of fact not as the start of a discussion, if others want to discuss that's fine, I don't feel the need to contribute further.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's a sad day when members feel the need to leave the forum. You'd hope that every one would have the integrity to put differences of opinion, on whatever subject, aside and just post up their Cruiser related topics. If they can't and feel the need to leave then that's their choice but the forum is bigger than any one member no matter how much they have contributed.

I don't understand it myself , once and once only i got tired of seeing landcruisers chopped up and trashed so i blocked the member . Nothing personal and nothing against the man i just didn't want to see it so i chose not to see it .

I would love to have these conversations around a campfire but i'm stuck at home and even if i weren't lots of people talking outdoors defeats my limited hearing so thats not gonna happen .

I might discuss it a teabreak with the lads from work , or my extended family , or my neighbours , or the with the lads down the pub , but the sad fact is the only conversation i have outside of the mrs asking what shall we have for tea is when work phones with a problem and that's not the time for idle chatter . I don't have facebook or twitter and all that because from i've seen from family and employees its just a bitchfest a minute which serves no purpose . I might help the mrs word a comment but when i ask her later how it was received she doesn't know because she can't find it , so why did she even bother ???

Hows about we ask this guy his opinion

1622903528324.png

Tony, you said "You also added an additional statement which was provocative" I'm not here to play tit for tat.
Like I said, I don't feel the need to contribute further.
Oh, and that wasn't a statement, it was a suggestion.

Started school in 1965 with free milk and was taught that the pyramids were built by slave labour but in 1990 when that article was released i had been out of school 24 years and have never had a read of the guardian and now at the age of 61 Today is a school day
Dare I ask who else had the same education as me
What was right then is wrong now
Tomorrow will have another right answer for something else that was normal
Milk of the poppy was once considered normal
1914s era it was considered normal to blow a whistle and send the troops over the top while t offsirs stayed at the trench
In 200 300 400 years time we will be competing with the slavers to see who committed the worst atrocities our history is not been written down yet all we can hope for is know spellink mys steaks

As it's in the "lounge" I would look on it as a virtual campfire chat.... everyone is welcome to leave the camp fire if they wish so.... or join at any time ....just bring a beer and a steak ;-)
steady on mate you'll upset the vegans ;-)

Dare I ask who else had the same education as me
me & most of us here of a certain age Steve .Most of the history we're taught in school is basic to say the least.The really interesting stuff doesn't appear until you get past MA level.

MA just hit me for six to do the washing up after Sunday dinner which depending on your point of view was at 1pm ish not the dinner at late pm ie around 6pm
Scool had Dinner Ladies and the Dinner Ladies work at Dinner time
Spose some nogoodnoseynobody will tell me I'm not write

The world is a sick place and to try and differentiate by simple things like colour of skin or religion won't help....
the world is what we make it .Individual acts are one thing but to build a system that exploits or exterminates humans on an industrial scale is something different .The fact that the Tiananmen Square massacre is still remembered & some folks are prepared to risk their lives and freedom to remind us gives me hope.The Chinese government are trying to erase this from history.What happened in the former Yugoslavia is in sharp contrast to the lofty justifications given for the so called war on terror.

MA just hit me for six to do the washing up after Sunday dinner which depending on your point of view was at 1pm ish not the dinner at late pm ie around 6pm
yeah i used to have dinner at lunchtime before i became middle class ;-) but actually old chap we now dine at a more bourgeois time , around 20.00 .Dinner was at dinnertime , tea was at teatime & the only time lunch came into the conversation was when we had luncheon meat.

Chopped ham with pork mmmm and Pan Yan pickle back when Wagon Wheels were real oh sugar and shi7 im remembering history again
I'm a bad man for having memories put me in the museum next to Mr Colston

The scope of the thing is to vast for even a team of the best scholars to unravel given 100 years to do it . Cities , town and villages the world over were built on things we would probably object to today , that includes schools and hospitals , poorhouses , orphanages , prisons , ports , everything . It can't be undone .

I get the principal behind the BLM movement but it completely ignores some naked truths .

Crime and death will always be higher in poor areas and who lives in them areas , people who's parents didn't own their own home , and neither did their parents , nor theirs . If its disproportionate how many black people live in those areas its because their ancestors had a late start at getting on the property ladder which is equally true for millions of white people .

I'd be willing to bet the died in custody numbers are not so disproportionate but we will never know because everyone knows police cover up such things , George Floyd's death simply gave a platform to build upon , had he been white the lack of racism aspect would have denied the sensationalist headlines and the world would have forgotten about it within a week .

provocation and insults shouldn't have any place in a rational debate.
i agree. so the following is acceptable? or do you find it to be because you agree?
The only good news, and I may get sent on a holiday, is that comments like Chas's are often from a dying generation which only has a (very) finite time left. These outdated and racist views will have even less life when they get called out on it and told to stop sprouting such bullshit (which people here are very good at doing).
Far from wanting to cancel opinions what the more progressive voices in society want is a debate about the past not silence and the myths of a glorious empire that are currently served up as history.
no one has a problem with a debate. causing criminal damage is hardly a debate.
The hostility of the present government towards BLM , it's jingoistic flag waving
fact or opinion?

“We are trained Marxists. We are super-versed on, sort of, ideological theories"

a quote from Patrisse Cullors.
blm.jpg

just add the hammer and sickle. then you have the full soviet history purging, culture canceling package..

I saw a different kind of slavery in a entirely different world. OK.. thought it only existed in that part of the world and within specific communities. Later I grew up, situation changed once who were masters became slaves and slaves became masters but current masters still refer to past and continue to target old masters. I feel past should not be given too much importance if its sending out negative message. Slavery is not just limited to any particular country, colour or tribe so no one to blame. Its every where, spread across all different regions in different forms.

I think Current world is always better than past one and future will be better than current one. Humans are progressive and will evolve in right direction. Happiness is the only dominant emotion of humans so it ll take the world towards right direction.

Back