Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Great Game Expedition - Overland Across Central Asia 2013

BigO

P4300650.JPG
Hello Everybody

I'm an adventurous chap 14,000 miles into 25,000 plus mile solo overland expedition through Central Asia in 2013. Join Boris (my car), Kiwi Ted (my mascot) & I on our adventures.

I'm in the middle of a unique overland 4x4 trip from London to China and back, through Central Asia. I've travelled from London to Russia where I joined the Silk Road and headed east to China though the "Stans". I have since travelled south via Laos to Malaysia in South East Asia.

After shipping the vehicle to India I will head west via India, Nepal, Pakistan, Iran, and Turkey and finally Europe to London. (If anybody lives on my route or has any contacts let me know. I'd love to meet up - I will be travelling through the area between Sept and Dec 2013)

This is a unique expedition that combines one of the great overland journeys with a fantastic historical narrative. I will be taking on the challenge to share this amazing adventure as the expedition unfolds.

Expedition Vision

To explore present day Central Asia along the former Silk Road routes, retracing the steps of the players and the historical events of The Great Game. Through the interaction with the local people, cultures and landscape, the aim is to compare and contrast the historical version with modern day Central Asia.

It's been one hell of a journey so far. Crazy ferry rides across the Caspian, cricket matches in northern Afghanistan, and China's worst storms in 30 years to name just a few of the stories adventures.

To celebrate completing the first 3 legs (of 5) I've just release my first expedition film trailer. I thought you might like to see it. I'd be interested to hear any feedback on the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sE-_kZ9eT7M

Here is the link to the blog that went with the clip.

http://bigoadventures.com/2013/08/19...y-west-awaits/

You can follow the journey via my website, facebook, twitter and youtube links in my signature.

Cheers

Jonny / Big O
www.BigOAdventures.com

p.s Apologies for the late update to the trip report section. Better late than never.

Hi All,

I managed to traverse my way across India after shipping from KL to Kolkata. (word of warning: shipping is getting pretty expensive!! It cost me $2800 USD)

India is crazy for driving on the roads which has kept it interesting along the way. I'm crossing into Pakistan on Thursday.

I've also create an interactive Actual Route Map where you can track my route, see pictures, blogs and videos from the trip to date. Check out this link: Actual Route Map with Pictures, Films and Blogs

It's not been all business either. I had time to shoot and make a Bollywood dance video last week as a wedding gift for friends.

http://youtu.be/GX9oCWdimys

Jon
www.BigOAdventures.com

Last edited:
Hi John,
enjoyed your videos and have been following your blog/facebook. Looks like your having a great time.

Quick question, what are your carnet costs like for India/Pakistan and particularly Iran?

Hi All,

Just thought I'd pass on a couple of photo's from Manali. These were taken part way up the Rohtung Valley from Manali a few days ago.

Manali JB Boris low res.jpg
Manali2 JB Boris low res.jpg

Hi John,
enjoyed your videos and have been following your blog/facebook. Looks like your having a great time.

Quick question, what are your carnet costs like for India/Pakistan and particularly Iran?

Hi Yogi,

Glad you are enjoying the journey. It's been an amazing adventure from the drivers seat of Boris.

They changed the carnet rules just before I got mine in this year. I submitted a 2k GBP invoice for my car. With a multiple of five I had to pay a 10k GBP deposit (which is the maximum deposit you can pay. Above that figure you need to buy the insurance option) I think the fees were only 200 GBP roughly. I will get my 10k back when I get back to the UK.

Hope that helps.

Jon

Ah I was hoping you had yours under the new rules!! Well enjoy the rest of your trip. Hopefully I'll make it to Iran too before the bloody Americans have a go at it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is really frustrating, I can watch these videos but I've got no sound. :angry-screaming:

Last edited:
This is really frustrating, I can watch these videos but I've got no sound. :angry-screaming:

Have you the sound bar on youtube itself turned up as well as the one on the computer itself? I just watched them and they were fine .

Have you the sound bar on youtube itself turned up as well as the one on the computer itself? I just watched them and they were fine .

Yes the sound is turned up on the PC but the sound bar on YouTube just isn't there. I'm not getting sound at all on YT, I also sometimes get a message saying I need to install the latest Flash player which I have tried to do a number of times but although it says 'OK installed' it doesn't seem to be working also sometimes if I hit the refresh button the video will play but no sound and anyhow why is the YT volume control not there?

Ah. Now I'm far from an expert in computers but the boffins in the Irish Dept of Agriculture put me 'online' in 2006 so I've had to learn a bit!!

Sounds to me like its not installing correctly, you can go to the actual ADOBE Flash Player website (google it) and there you can check which version you have. As in if its the latest one. Do that first because its easy and quick.

Then it should pin point you to the right on. There may be some god awful security setting on your PC that is creating the problem of it not updating. If that's the case then I'm out the door because that's way above my skill/knowledge/pay grade:drool::doh:

yogi, you are a fecking genius, it all seems to be working fine now. :thumbup: even the YT volume control has re-appeared watching the vids now.

Last edited:
No worries Chas!!

Glad I could help, I think that's the first time I have ever been the helper, rather than the 'helpee' with a computer so I'm delighted with myself now!!

Well, well done you, I thought it would be something like enabling it, but for the life of me I couldn't see how, but you putting me on the track of googling Adobe led me to a help page, so very grateful yogi.

Well, well done you, I thought it would be something like enabling it, but for the life of me I couldn't see how, but you putting me on the track of googling Adobe led me to a help page, so very grateful yogi.

Another satisfied customer! I love this club and the forum! :icon-biggrin::lol:

Hi All,

Here are few pictures from the Karakoram Highway in Northern Pakistan. I just spent 10 days driving from Islamabad up to the Chinese border at the Khunjerab Pass and back. A fantastic part of the journey.

IMG_6327.jpg
IMG_6392.jpg
IMG_6395.jpg
IMG_6467.jpg

That's What It's All About, People

Two months from today, on January 11th 2014 I will arrive back in London. As my journey starts to reach the final phase it’s a good time to celebrate the people and places I’ve seen so far on this amazing journey.

From April to August 2013 I travelled from London to Malaysia, visiting 18 countries on the outward journey of my expedition East.

I’ve met a lot of interesting people along the way. Here’s a few of them.

http://youtu.be/LFUo73asMZw

Enjoy
Jonny / Big O
www.BigOAdventures.com

p.s I noticed there is a YouTube button but I'm not sure what it does. I thought it might embed the clip but nothing seems to come up on the screen when I preview the post. Any guidance?

Last edited:
Thanks Jonny, great video makes me want to go somewhere.
cool-045.GIF

What a brilliant way to record your trip a camera can't even catch a glimpse of the memories you will have but i'm sure each person in your video brings to mind a whole set of events your glad to remember :thumbup:

Back