Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The nearest mechanical thing to a camel

Crushers said:
don't feel bad, the last real Land Cruiser is the 7* series.
the rest are fancy mall queens.

surely the 80 and 105 are real ones? :think:

granted theyve got a lot of electrics but there the last ones with live axles front and back. :)

Ben, I think Wayne's point is that 7* series are still being made, whereas 80s and 105s are now part of history in terms of production.

Dunno if any of the 7*s are still being made have live rear axles though? The new 76, 78 and 79s all have leaf springs (in South Africa anyway) And they come with front & rear lockers as standard :whistle:

Are 80 series still not being produced in Venezuela? They were a few years ago. And there's that Chinese variant of the 80 that you can get - if you're prepared to take the risk :)

the 7* series went to solid front axle coil sprun in 99 (i beleive) other than the LD units which were coil all around from inception.

Andrew Prince said:
Ben, I think Wayne's point is that 7* series are still being made, whereas 80s and 105s are now part of history in terms of production.

Dunno if any of the 7*s are still being made have live rear axles though? The new 76, 78 and 79s all have leaf springs (in South Africa anyway) And they come with front & rear lockers as standard :whistle:

Think the Venezuelan ones stopped ca. 2007? And they were all petrols AFAIK.
The Chinese Fuqi is just nasty - more comparable to the toughness of a sheep than a camel :lol:

EDIT: Wiki says Venezuela stopped in 2008 :shifty:

Crushers said:
the 7* series went to solid front axle coil sprun in 99 (i beleive) other than the LD units which were coil all around from inception.
Wayne, I was referring to rear axles in my post ;) The models I listed all have coil sprung front axles, as you point out.

Do you know if any of the HD 7*s have coil-sprung rear axles?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
nope, the HD 7* are still leaf rear.

my assumption is the masses complained about the ride characteristics and Toyota decided to make them happy by going coil. ;)

one change i was not impressed with was the small front diff after 1990 on all the Land Cruiser models including the pickup and the troopie. :think: unless the electric locked front the actually center unit casing is the weak link. very poor design. :snooty:

Back