Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thinking of Selling up.

I have the TDI tuning Box on it at the moment which does give me the oomphh but from cold (for about the first mile) it does make the D4D sound even more like a bag of spanners. if i take it off, nice and quite(as quite as a d4d gets) with it on after the first mile its nice a quite. so thats why i want a proper remap so that i dont get the bag of spanners for the first mile.

If i get time tomorrow i will drive to the exhaust shop ad get a price. im now wondering if a lindop tuning box will work? Im not sure how much they are, but looking at the one Andy has just purchased it goes on all four injectors.

Already been there Gary, thats what i have at the moment. they would only do a tuning box for it.

Think of this , i would need taller gearing if i add i chip to my truck i think , and in real world application that would ruin my truck .

Numbers is just numbers and "real world" my 18 year old truck would batter that Audi in anything other than an Autobahn race .

Had a reply from Lindop.

Good Morning Joe

Thank you for your chip kit enquiry

Yes we do have a selection of chip kits for all vehicles, however, the 2004 model no longer has a kit available, it has been discontinued im afraid. I would not like to recommend any other company as I cannot vouch for their quality. Sorry about that

Best regards

John Devlin
Lindop Wrexham
Tel 01978 720074
Always A Better Way
Heard about My Toyota?

Pretty much what keeps happening.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've heard back from Ian at Big.
He says they are a right PITA to do but he can do them. Gives an extra 35 bhp and extra 50Nm of torque. £500

That's not a bad price considering well done there Richard you may have save the day :dance:

Just reading this thread now.

My viewpoint.
I have a 95 with 417,000 miles on her, she started to use water, still ran perfectly but would empty the reservoir bottle on a long trip. Ran it like that for 3 months!! Really hadn't the time as it was either a head gasket or the head, so I took her off the road and decided to give the lady a wee rest.
I bought a 2nd hand Mercedes ML 270cdi - 15 minute decision. I need a 4x4 for my work as I am in and out of quarries. Yes the ML was more comfortable, yes it was better on fuel, yes it was Auto with cruise and yes it looked 'posh'.
After three years I went out and bought another 95 which now has 245,000 miles on it. Why?

The ML did not like getting even wet not to mind getting drowned in liquid mud. Some sensor or other would stop working and I would have a light on the dash. It could not go places that the 95 would stroll through without even thinking and I found the 4-matic system with its 'girly' button low box was just not up to the 95 for overall traction. It was far too low with minimal ground clearance - I put phase 2, 17" wheels and high profile tyres on it - which did improve things somewhat. It would at least once a month go into limp home mode with no warning. Easy enough to reset but meant a visit to the laptop man to reset and put out the dash light.
Despite being serviced properly and on time - the auto box decided to pump out the transmission fluid through the breather on the box - despite Merc experts telling me that was impossible even though I watched it pumping even on tickover. In between I had removed the intake manifold swirl flaps - not a 5 minute job and what a crazy idea and flimsy design, and I also deleted the egr.
To sum up the ML and from what I see a lot of the modern 4x4 so called offroad vehicles are cars with a 4x4 system stuck on to them as they then try and masquerade as an offroad vehicle.
A Landcruiser is a 4x4 work vehicle with a commercial engine which Toyota have tarted up a bit to try and make it into a luxury 4x4.
Both have failed in their ultimate objective - but for me it is a very simple decision as to which philosophy I will stick with.
I am not picking on Mercedes, as I will only drive older Mercedes cars. Would I drive/buy a G wagen - yes but only an older one. I think all the modern cars are far too sophisticated and are mobile computers which when they get a micron of dampness on a printed circuit board they will just not come out to play and the cost of getting them up and running again is mind boggling
As an addition - I have found that the best way to make a standard Landcruiser 95 more comfortable on and off the road, is to fit Koni shocks and high sidewall tyres. It s like driving a totally new machine.

Regards

Bill

Have to admit it's another reason I like the 1fzfe, had a choice of tuning options for it.

Hopefully you'll get sorted and that's a good price imo especially if they're a pain to do.

I'm going to stand up for the ML. I had a 2002 ML55 and it was a reliable car. The important thing with the first model (W163) MLs is to avoid the pre 2002 facelift models. A lot of reliability issues were fixed with the facelift. On mine the issue was rust in the bottom of the doors which effected the whole Mercedes range at that time.

The 55, being an AMG model, had slightly lower suspension than the rest of the range. It is easy to raise the front a bit by cranking the torsion bars and you can get spring spacers to lift the rear for the non AMG models.

What is girly about a button to activate the low ratio? Are 80's and 100's girly because they have push button centre diff locks? The interior was a far nicer place to be than Cruisers of the same age with some great design touches.

I sold it because I wanted something bigger and 12mpg was a bit on the painful side. I still miss that engine though.

I'm going to stand up for the ML. I had a 2002 ML55 and it was a reliable car. The important thing with the first model (W163) MLs is to avoid the pre 2002 facelift models. A lot of reliability issues were fixed with the facelift. On mine the issue was rust in the bottom of the doors which effected the whole Mercedes range at that time.

The 55, being an AMG model, had slightly lower suspension than the rest of the range. It is easy to raise the front a bit by cranking the torsion bars and you can get spring spacers to lift the rear for the non AMG models.

What is girly about a button to activate the low ratio? Are 80's and 100's girly because they have push button centre diff locks? The interior was a far nicer place to be than Cruisers of the same age with some great design touches.

I sold it because I wanted something bigger and 12mpg was a bit on the painful side. I still miss that engine though.
Ian

Good evening
Yes mine was a 2001 model. Funnily enough I had hardly any rust although most others I saw had some in the normal places.
My current 95 has a rear diff lock - which is basically an electric motor. The ML's low/high is also an electric motor - sorry I just don't trust either of them in wet arduous conditions.
The 95's central diff lock is a good old fashioned mechanical lever.
Yes, I agree fully - the ML is a very comfortable vehicle and drives lovely. I loved the coffee cup holders design!! :) I actually miss the comfort, smoothness and quietness. Your AMG must have been an amazing drive
However for my daily application - road and off road - it was simply not reliable and it was quite embarrassing at times at how easily it lost traction off road - even when fitted with the same type tyres as the 95.
I am slowly rebuilding my first 95 for an overland expedition to Cape Town - more later.
I can fix a 95 when it goes wrong as it is basic mechanics.
I cannot fix an ML - it has too much complicated electronics for an overland expedition.

Regards

Bill

i have seen that used with ronny dahl, didn't know they did it in Europe, though after reading up they don't mention the Q+ or Q4 modules and news feed is 2010, sent an email asking if still in Europe or selling their later products

Client of mine has a Q7. It is probably very nice to drive, it certainly looks luxurious, but that hole in the back, you know, the one where you put stuff that you have just bought, it is tiny!!!
I had an old Audi 80 with a bigger boot. I can't believe that a car that size has so little space, but then the people that buy them normally have people moving stuff for them. (As I would if I was rich!)
It's faster and probably a lot more refined, but I don't see it as being practical in any way

Back