Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thinking of Selling up.

Bmw X5 M50D :icon-wink: good motor, not shy either.

A friend had a Q7, it used to chew the passenger front tyre for fun, it was tracked up perfectly and drove straight too.
Had multiple problems with it too. They got rid for a range rover!

Wow what a response.

I only said i was thinking of selling up. the landcruiser is a lovely 4x4 and i do still like it. i just fancied a bit more BHP. But that does come with the pitfalls of the modern diesels as mentioned.

I can see that the audi could be agro to work on, especially as im looking at the V8 4.2tdi, I can imagine its been shoe horned into place and it also has two turbos and two DPF's. so no room to work on anything.

I think the novelty of the power could soon wear off when you have multiple lights up on the dash.

I have everything sorted on the LC, refurbed wheels, new bf tyres, new built in satnav, fully serviced etc etc.
so i should turn my attention to the house and garden and stop looking at cars (be sensible):lol: for a while.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Get the X5, 375 bhp 750nm iirc. 1 dpf and 3 turbos :icon-twisted:. Never used to see many issues with them, not a slow motor.

What about something with a big petrol engine?

I cant have a petrol car, if i need to take it on some of the sites i work they have to be diesel. Il have alook at the X5 it all depends if they are in my price bracket.

It's very easy to get seduced by something more modern/refined/powerful. I almost became unfaithful to the 80 last year with a tantalising drive in a V8 100 series but pegged my ardour and stuck with the 80 and now don't regret it. If, god forbid, the 80 was ever lost or written off then I'd probably buy a V8 100 but I decided it's not worth changing. Besides, if I feel a need for real speed then I just take the bike for a run.

Whats the x5 3.0sd like? any problems?

They're good, same as everything, service history is key for engine life.
Rear air springs can fail, not too expensive and half an hour to fit, front prop shafts have been known to fail, if hasn't had one and for less then £200 fit one (fitted one to a mates x5 and I think cost £120) 20 mins to replace. If priced one up and it's expensive it's not prone to failure on that particular vehicle (cheap when they might have to pay for it themselves) Usual glow plugs on diesels if higher miles.
The police use the 3.0d and give them some serious abuse with little issue

Police are allowed to break speed limits to make it feel like its moving , maybe that's the character thing that bugs me . Which would be more fun - 60mph in an old mini mayfair on a B road or 70mph in an m5 on a motorway ?

Great to have all that power and can be very entertaining but once the novelty of the power wears off what's left might not be enough to hold your interest is my experience. I have some form on this, twice over. You might need a different Landcruiser but you might regret not having any Landcruiser :) Shame you can't have a petrol, they are more entertaining even for similar power outputs and might have provided the missing ingredient.

Back