Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thinking of Selling up.

Great to have all that power and can be very entertaining but once the novelty of the power wears off what's left might not be enough to hold your interest is my experience. I have some form on this, twice over. You might need a different Landcruiser but you might regret not having any Landcruiser :) Shame you can't have a petrol, they are more entertaining even for similar power outputs and might have provided the missing ingredient.

Oh yeah i remember you went for an audi, but was soon buying another landcruiser. maybe i should learn from all this and save myself a few quid in the process. id like to see if i can get more out of the 3.0d4d engine. i need to find someone that will actually remap instead of generic tuning box.

I asked my mate who has experience of the LC vs others and this is what he has had and what he thinks:-
96 80 GX Amazon , loved it, had it for 4 years towed his twin wheel caravan and thought it was great for what it was. Sold it to me to make way for a 100.
98 100 series This was a very good solid one in black. Towed the caravan well but thought it didn't go as well as the manual 80. Had this for a year and suddenly had the desire for a VW transporter van so he sold it ( some will remember it parked near Chris at the first AO show with a RTT).
Once stuck on a caravan site diminished all enthusiasm for the VW so that went and the Q7 was purchased . I don't know the year but all I know was it was a 3.0V6 and it was white with 145K and it cost £9K. This he really loved, modern, plenty of space and tonnes of go. Towed the caravan with consummate ease and generally was a great place to be. However he was piling on the miles so he sold it 2 years later adding 40k in that time.
Next thing to appear after a ton of phone calls about "this one, that one" was an 06 LC4. This he thought he would like but didn't. As an £8k vehicle it didn't stack up against the Audi in any respect.
From his perspective it was a backwards step less refined, less powerful, less economical and since he had had not a single issue in 40K of ownership couldn't say the Audi was less reliable.
Talking to him he said there is probably no need for a bigger engine in the real world of motoring, it tows better than a 100 series and a 120, gets an easy 30 mpg.
The present choice of weapon is a Disco4 which again, having tried a 150 ( which he thought was very expensive) is doing the job admirably for his needs.

I'm only adding this to the mix as it gives an opinion of a LC fan who has tried other marques.

Hi All

Im thinking of Selling the Landcruiser.

Its a lovely Car i just feel like a change. Im not sure i should mention it on here, but ive been looking at the audi Q7's 4.2tdi's

It might be something i regret afterwards due to the complex working of the thing. but i fancy something with a bit more get up and go. the only other landcruiser that has the sort of power to match is the v8 diesel version and its way out of my price range.
If you want something with get up and go, have a look at Lexus RX400H or the newer 450. 0-60 in 7 seconds for a 2 ton vehicle, is a lot of get up and go. I sold my hundred and got a RX400H, and it goes like stink, and I still get 31mpg for the V6 petrol engine. It's the 3.3ltr VVT-I.

Unfortunately i need to keep to diesel. otherwise id probably go for the v8 100 series.

Im Making inquiries about remapping the 120 now. if you have a 200bhp invincible you can get that remapped to near on 250bhp so i cant see why it cant be done with my car. its the same engine just tweaked software.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They sell the unichip piggy back ecu's for the landcruiser. so i googled unichip uk and the nearest dealer is only 3 miles from me. i have emailed them, il await the reply.

A turbo upgrade with a matching chip will put you in a different league me thinks mate then all you need then is some body shop to to make fatboy 33's fit and you will be in a league of your own :thumbup:

Unfortunately i need to keep to diesel. otherwise id probably go for the v8 100 series.

Im Making inquiries about remapping the 120 now. if you have a 200bhp invincible you can get that remapped to near on 250bhp so i cant see why it cant be done with my car. its the same engine just tweaked software.
Silly question-why do you need to keep to diesel?

I've got a Steinbauer chip on my hilux. Perked it up a bit.
On paper they are supposed to take it from 177bhp to 205-210bhp

I've got a Steinbauer chip on my hilux. Perked it up a bit.
On paper they are supposed to take it from 177bhp to 205-210bhp

Yeah they do give them a bit more ooompphh. I have the TDI tuning box on my LC takes it from 164bhp to a claimed 210bhp. it does go ok. but you get used to the power, and im being greedy:icon-twisted: which takes me to my original post for the audi. Toyota seem to be a bit behind the other makes with regard to power. if i can get it up to the power of a remapped invincible i think i might be happy (for a while:lol:)

Im hoping to get to the exhaust shop friday to discuss a 2.75" stainless exhaust from the turbo Back:icon-cool:

And i have a reply from unichip. so have replied and waiting to see what they can do for the LC. It gets set up on a rolling road so will be nice to see the power it puts out at the end.

Good news I'm happy for you.....hopefully will yield great improvement especially tuneup chip & exhaust go well together. Could feel like a new car again for you.

:auto-swerve:

Im hoping to get to the exhaust shop friday to discuss a 2.75" stainless exhaust from the turbo Back:icon-cool:

And i have a reply from unichip. so have replied and waiting to see what they can do for the LC. It gets set up on a rolling road so will be nice to see the power it puts out at the end.
Word of caution here, make sure the car runs ok on the rolling road with every load possible (AC, headlights, heated rear screen, fan, etc) switched on otherwise I have heard (though I don't quite understand myself) of cars (Smart cars it was) going into limp mode when the loads are applied due to them ramping it to the max and not allowing for the ancillary loads. I expect Unichip will know but it's worth asking.

They must be well liked down here, I see 2 95s on the way to work every day and have seen 2 others regularly a couple of 80s floating about and a couple of 100s, and 120s

The same for me. I drive 400 miles a week to and fro on the A27 from Fareham to West Sussecx daily. Other than when I drive my 95 (she is not my daily runner), I often see other 100's, the occasional 80 and the odd Amazon (I think)........

Back