Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This diesel shortage then

The kids school is about a mile up the road from us, and on the walk there + back this morning I saw 9 tankers on the road. Unsure if they were full or empty, but there is still no diesel in any of the pumps here.

I joined a prepper's forum once. Full of complete idiots. I left. But am I prepared? Do I prep? Yes a bit. Not for all out apoxylipse, no, but for basic shortages of stuff like power, water, fuel yes. We get a lot of power outages. We're on a dead end spur it seems. So the generator comes out quite regularly and the truck fridges get used quite a bit.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would build an underground shelter for sure. For fun. I just love the idea of having water filtration, air recirculation, stock plies of luncheon meat, holes to stick guns out of etc etc. Proper man stuff.

As for the Claymores, Amazon are out of stock. Somemthing to do with Brexit they said so they're on back order.

@SteveJB I thought ambulances got their fuel at their own yard and didn't goto public pumps

We still have the Tilley Lamp we used in the power cuts of the early 70's and always have some candles to hand. Back then, as a kid, I found the power cuts quite an adventure, ruuning round darkened streets with torches or huddled round the Tilley playing cards and was always dissappointed when the lights
came back on. The adults obviuosly saw the more serious side of the situation. I very much doubt youngsters of today would view power cuts in the same manner if they can't use their electronic gadgets or get on the internet, oh calamity!! I'm not that big on prepping but a decent generator and a few extra cans of fuel does sound like a worthwhile purchase. I have an old 2 stroke 750w genny bought from Makro years ago for £50 which is knackered now anyway so maybe a replacement may be in order. Honda make some nice one's with relatively quiet 4 stroke motors.

Here's a question for the Bikers amongst us, If im in a 2 mile queue for petrol and im on me Bike, Am i allowed to filter my way past all the Traffic (which is Legal for Bikes).. and just Pop out at the Front... and fill up..... Or would i just be Stabbed to Death by the Baying Mob????... (Coz i need petrol for the Bike and the lawn mower)....5 litre can in me Top Box.... Job done

I filtered past the cars on the road that were either waiting to get into the petrol station or were being blocked by the people waiting to get into the petrol station. With a slight bit of guilt, I filled the bike, paid and left. I'm not sure I'd have been able to bring myself to fill up a jerry can though.

Round here police and ambulance service fire service use tesco and the drinks firm Mathew Clark and some of the quarry lorries there is a key fuels bunker at Nunny Catch a few miles away guess they want the tesco points
Might be worth a club pow wow to get some key fuels cards for members reckon I could chuck in a few quids :expressionless::sob:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Aa wood burner is great piece of mind. not only will it keep you warm you can cook on it, boil water, open the doors and toast some bread, chuck a baked potato wrapped in tin foil in the embers or even grill some meat.

Letters being sent out to people on European licenses, living in the UK. Since it includes a 'ltv' endorsement.

Guess they are sending this out to everyone in the UK who have UK HGV licenses too(?)

Attachments

• 20211001_095227~2.jpg
    20211001_095227~2.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 43
Iv just cut up our old Pine bed and fed it into the wood burner.... Kept us toastie for a few days.... Made the wood burner out of a gas bottle, Steel lined the back of the Breast and put a proper flu in.... Works a treat

Last edited:
Joking aside a wood burner would be a last resort for us, cheap to run but a lot of faffing about compared to pressing a button or turning a dial and limited heating potential unless you have a back boiler plumbed into the central heating system. There's a guy near us who collects dead wood in an old pram from local woodland so I assume he has a burner.

Letters being sent out to people on European licenses, living in the UK. Since it includes a 'ltv' endorsement.

Guess they are sending this out to everyone in the UK who have UK HGV licenses too(?)

My Brother has a C2 licence and he's had the letter even though he's in work.

Mrs and i both filled at different Morrisons sites today, no queue at either, noticed a Shell garage coned off in Luton thismorning and a fair queue developing at the Shell garage in Henlow.

Filled my car at Tesco today, no queue, all grades available.

Joking aside a wood burner would be a last resort for us, cheap to run but a lot of faffing about compared to pressing a button or turning a dial and limited heating potential unless you have a back boiler plumbed into the central heating system. There's a guy near us who collects dead wood in an old pram from local woodland so I assume he has a burner.
indeed, but when that button is pressed, that dial is turned and nothing happens..

An electrical power cut is relatively easy to cater for with a decent generator. An interruption to the gas supply not quite so. We've just been transferred to another power Co. by Ofgen as our old provider, Avro, went under last week so the fixed deal we had with them until March next year went with them. This means we'll be looking at a possible 40-50% increase in the monthly bill which we're not that bothered about, we just hope it doesn't escalate to shortages and rationing and/or power cuts.

we just hope it doesn't escalate to shortages and rationing and/or power cuts.
Sshhhhh! Keep that on to yourself Towpack.... If the Media or the people with Thinking difficulties read this.. It will be like...."Here we go again"... Folk digging up Gas pipes and Stealing wood burners from Machine Mart, Burning their Pets,.......... It doesn't take a lot, You know how Thick most folk are...

Back