Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This diesel shortage then

I thought this would blow over in a few days, a week max - I think I said as much earlier in this thread and I didn't really get too concerned. Well, I was wrong....

I don't know about other parts of the country but in my locality it's a nightmare. I haven't been able to get fuel for over a week now and both cars are running on fumes. Glad I can WFH and wife works close by so can walk to work.

Went out last night around 9pm, to the 4 stations within a 2 mile radius, 3 were closed as no fuel, the other had a queue so long I actually couldn't see the end of it and it was blocking the whole road in that direction. I did notice that one of the closed stations (Tesco Extra Watford) had a tanker parked in the layby. Which made me think they might open in the morning, so set my alarm for 6:30am (no Sunday lie-in!) to get there when they open at 7am.

Well, I got out the house and drove down by 6:45am - obviously several hundred other people had had the same idea, as the queue was already snaking past several roundabouts and junctions (reached the Glyn Hopkins Nissan dealer - for those of you that know Watford).

Not sure how this situation is sustainable, surely most people must have full tanks by now? It's not as if we've all been asked to drive an extra 200 miles a week or something?

Sorry for the long winded rant post.... :icon-evil:

Guy, you would be surprised at what goes on at overnight truck stops with derv siphoners, where minimum/no noise is the name of the game. This was well before the fuel crisis started !

Local big Tesco has a long snaking queue, Shell is closed due to no fuel, and Texaco had a 15 car que around 3pm, and when I drove past around 6pm it was down to 3 cars. So I guess it's pot luck and timing if you are to find fuel.

No real problems here, though I did happen to visit sainsbury's just as a tanker was unloading which helped.

no problems here, didnt really have the mass panic thing in the first place.

the whole thing is, well, a bit unbritish. whatever happened to keep calm and carry on..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
These days it seems to be Me first and sod the rest of you.
Not been to a filling station since before this all kicked off.
But passed a couple today in rural Aberdeenshire and just 1 car at them.

Just had a look at heating oil (kerosene) prices, up from about 45p a litre to about 65p in just over a week. Haven't checked the price of cetane improvers yet ......

Thats a big jump. I paid 44p last Thurs for kero when I had a diesel delivery £1.08/litre. Have been told though it would be significantly dearer next time.

Kerosene (paraffin) is £2 - Litre in DIY stores which makes a Tilley lamp more expensive to run than it's Coleman dual fuel equivalent!

Have been told though it would be significantly dearer next time.

Just checked again and it's running at about 56p a litre (1000 litre price) at the moment. Either I read it wrong before (quite possible) or it was a blip. Nice price on the diesel !

Just returned from north Scotland on the busy NC500 route in Willys Jeeps ... not once in 7 days did we have to que for fuel or see a que..... and due to small tanks and low mpg we filled up every day.. prices were with one exception the same as at home and they were miles from anywhere.... go figure ?

A mate had to work in Aberdeen last week, managed to refill around Nottingham, then refilled again in Aberdeen before coming back with a few jerrycans in the back.
No queues/plenty fuel in Aberdeen, the guy there said they had no problems up there. English government should take note of what the Scots are doing !

No problem getting petrol in Argyll, even for a petrol V8! Strikes me that the areas that have most problems are the areas that have the most transport options, ie buses, trains, underground etc. In rural Scotland once you've bought fuel, you've no reason to return till the tank is empty.

Last edited:
No problem getting petrol in Argyll, even for a petrol V8! Strikes me that the areas that have most problems are the areas that have the most transport options, ie buses, trains, underground etc. In rural Scotland once you've bought fuel, you've no reason to return till the tank is empty.

Could it be that people loving in rural areas are better at managing their resources whereas people who live with everything at their fingertips panic when that availability is threatened?

Whats App down, not bothered, Facebook down, not bothered, Instagram down, not bothered, not used any of them. If landcruiserclub.net goes down, now THAT'S a problem!

Could it be that people loving in rural areas are better at managing their resources whereas people who live with everything at their fingertips panic when that that availability is threatened?
i was about to post something similar last night, think i mentioned the word stoicism too. i didnt post it for some reason..
the just in time supply chain is great when everything is working as it should..

Still no fuel in Watford - BP, Esso, Tesco, Asda, Shell and Sainsbury's stations all closed due to no fuel. These are not small stations either - probably a total of well over 100 pumps in that lot.

Cruiser ran out of LPG a few days ago and looking for fuel today it really is on the last few drops of petrol with the fuel needle resting on the rim of the gauge - it's beyond empty. I was actually worried I might not get back home tonight.

Parked up now until I can guarantee that a local petrol station has fuel in stock.

Back