Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tie down/tow/recovery points

warrenpfo

I have been given one of these:

6826950350_91c34f6f68_b.jpg

I wanted to confirm my thoughts that it is not a recovery point but rather a tow or tie down point. Is this correct?

Not a pig tail or basic tie down point. It can be used for basic towing, but most tow ropes side off.

Never really seen the point of those ones.

Both my 100s came with one from factory. It's a tow hook. I've used it once on my 2000 for a basic recovery. I was worried, but the guy on the tractor trusted it, and it would have been worst for him. Strap was only 3 t as well.
Wasn't too much force though, two wheels outside the road in a deep ditch, hanging on the belly, in the snow. It was the same tractor guy who had just cleared snow far outside the road so that it looked drivable.

In that case I will put it in the classified or on the bay and get shot of it to be replaced with propper recovery points.

I just googled pigtail recovery - I'm not sure why I thought these were called pigtail hooks...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know that this is an emotive subject and there's alot of strong personal opinions with regards what makes a good or bad recovery point so I'll keep it brief :mrgreen: I have a pair of those on the front of Fiery that I use as my primary recovery points. The truck came with one already fitted and I bought a second from off of Mr Rubie in the early days so as to enable me to attach a Bridle to the front of Fiery for recovery. They have now been used a number of times to either recover myself or others from the mia and they have not failed me as yet, nor have the strops slipped off them at any time :? Scott gave me a prety goey snatch recovery using them at Lincomb that Chris & Stan can both vouch for, Ben has also recovered me using them not to mention my m8 Giles who's no light foot when it comes to the gas pedal. Lets not forget that these are a recovery hook made by Toyota and fitted to a Land Cruiser from standard :D They've prooved themselves to me & I'm happy to carry on using them, but each to thier own :D :D ;)

P9090437.jpg

PA010645.jpg

^^^^^^^

Not to re ignite the debate but would I not be right in saying that perhaps the tow point I have been given is just for that and that the angle iron with a hole in it you show in your picture, the same ones I have on both sides at the front of my 100 are for recovery ie snatching etc.

I think the angled one with a hole in it is just a tie down point for shipping, the hook is the tow/recovery point. It might have been someone on here...? that used the angled one for a recovery and managed to bend it (the recovery pull was slightly angled to the side).

warrenpfo said:
I have been given one of these:

I wanted to confirm my thoughts that it is not a recovery point but rather a tow or tie down point. Is this correct?
What you do need to be careful of is that from memory I seem to recall that Toyota list a different one for the rear than the front (different part numbers) and the one in your photo Warren looks like a different design to the ones in my photo. The one you have there looks more slender towards the top/root than mine!!! The rear ones get removed when a tow bar is fitted so there's a few of them knocking around as a result I guess :think: The other thing to consider is the price, when I got a quote from my local main dealer for one it was over £70!!! Even from Ian it was still £36/38 from memory :think: Like I've said they are not a light weight item, I could imagine tearing the chassis rail before busting one of these hooks and thats an whole other can of worms right there :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fridayman said:
I think the angled one with a hole in it is just a tie down point for shipping, the hook is the tow/recovery point. It might have been someone on here...? that used the angled one for a recovery and managed to bend it (the recovery pull was slightly angled to the side).
I conquer, the angled ones with a hole in them are listed as Transport Hooks :)

Just to add further to the discussion, I found this site which sells 100 series recovery point and they look alot like the angle iron ones mentioned. http://www.lukeys4x4.com/products/recov ... LC100.html

I will double check the ones I have on my car again at lunch and post but am sure the one I have pictured is the same as the one on the front of my car and that the rear one is more of a hook in shape.

warrenpfo said:
Just to add further to the discussion, I found this site which sells 100 series recovery point and they look alot like the angle iron ones mentioned. http://www.lukeys4x4.com/products/recov ... LC100.html

I will double check the ones I have on my car again at lunch and post but am sure the one I have pictured is the same as the one on the front of my car and that the rear one is more of a hook in shape.
recovery_pointsLC100.jpg

Those are a very differnt beast to the Transport Hooks fitted to the LC from standard, much heavier duty!! Those are more akin to the 12mm thick recovery points that Ben has just made for his truck, except that those ones are 2mm thinner than Bens :)

I've found a slightly better photo for comparison here;

P9090425.jpg

The one that you have appears to be longer with a shorter return at the bottom of the hook;

Here's a better photo of my ones under the truck with the Transport hooks as well;

P3250425.jpg

NB - I've doubled the strength of them by painting them RED, something a lot of people overlook but such a simple up-grade and well worth the time it takes to do it :D :D ;)

NB - I've doubled the strength of them by painting them RED, something a lot of people overlook but such a simple up-grade and well worth the time it takes to do it :D :D ;)

Very funny :) I'm actually planning on doing the same as you though for a 100-series cruiser. Both getting another pair and painting red. Now you've had them a while, how are they working singly and with a bridle? Just curious. I'd love some proper recovery points but they seem impossible to find outside of Australia etc.

Very funny :) I'm actually planning on doing the same as you though for a 100-series cruiser. Both getting another pair and painting red. Now you've had them a while, how are they working singly and with a bridle? Just curious. I'd love some proper recovery points but they seem impossible to find outside of Australia etc.

Im taking my OEM recovery points off my 100 if you interested as I have some from the US for the front and my rear bumper has them intergrated.

Drop me a PM if you keen.

@warrenpfo - PM'd you

If anyone's interested, according to my local Toyota dealer (who don't have any) the part numbers for the 100-series OEM hooks are 51961-60190 (front) and 51965-60031 (rear)

P3250425.jpg

Since Warren very kindly sold me a pair of his hooks I now have two at front and two at back so I can use with a bridle. After slowly working their way to me here in Kenya I finally managed to paint them all red. Wow, what a difference! The car is so much faster, BHP and torque both up, clearance higher, fuel economy improved, and the stereo is way louder! :) :) Thanks Warren!

Attachments

• 2013-01-22 11.04.02.jpg
    2013-01-22 11.04.02.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 345
  • 2013-01-21 17.33.52-2.jpg
    2013-01-21 17.33.52-2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 313
Good to see that made it too you safe and sound and that you have been able to put them to good use.

Back