Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tire pliers - pah!

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Following the extremely thorough tyre demonstration at Lincomb last weekend, I was pretty enthused about the idea of being able to take tyres off the rims myself. Having silly tyres like mine does make you think a bit about what you'd do in a tight spot. Unable to secure a price on the day, I did some Googling. WHAT???

£100? I think not. Every 5th vehicle in the Australian Army may indeed have a set, but I shall have to wait until the are available in the Army Surplus Depot.

So, an alternative then. Again a quick Gurgle on t'interweb and a bit of bang bang, whirrr, bash clank and bzzzz later and here we have.....

Mk I bead breaker. It simply bolts onto the foot of the jack

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

OK - so does it work? Well there was only one way to find out. Off into the dark with a 37" tyre and rim, High Lift and my rock sliders to work against, and..

I can confirm that it works flawlessly and effortlessly. Broke the bead instantly. No pics, because A it was dark and B because it just looks like a tyre :icon-rolleyes:

well done Chris

Tell you what I did was cut the base plate of the Highlift, basically took the sharop corners off so they didnt damage the sidewalls. I have done absolutely loads using this method and never damaged a tyre

Thought about that, but wanted to get precise pressure right on the bead rather than onto the sidewall in any way. I think there are lots of ways of doing this.

Now my only problem is getting the tyre off! I have big levers, but heck these Lermas are very very tough. The steel rims that they are on are in danger of simply bending

Chris

I think you maybe right there Andy. Joking apart. I shall get a tub of 'special' lubricant asap.

Chris

Tyre lad who does out lorrys just uses a piece of angel iron and a BFH!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Didn't like to say but been using the 3" bit of angle iron and a pair of Michelin bars on tyres for more than 30 years and have truck tyre changing/ turning down to a fine art. Thats why I didn't watch the demo TBH.
I'm with you Paul, watch a commercial tyre fitter at work!!

Andy

truck tyres are probably a lot less susceptible to side wall damage than what we tend to stick on our cruisers.

Other than of course the Lerma Gommes ARE truck tyres. As Andy says, I think I just need to lube up. Breaking the bead was a snip and I can pull the bead over the rim, I just can't work the lever round at the second. Got four to do, so it'll be good practice. I bet a std tyre is a lot easier. I watched my local lads putting them on with levers and they didn't struggle exactly but they did huff and puff a bit.

Chris

Tough tyres, never the less.

Rather you Chris,

Gra.

I got inspired by this thread and made myself a new tool this afternoon

6E4BA42B.jpg

basically it's my version of the tyre pliers

i made it and the pulled 5 tyres off rims- I like it lots, much much nicer than the sledge and angle iron or high lift which are both quite physical.

The tyres I removed where on G wagon rims - the truck had been used on a beach in its final days and then abandoned in the sea air so they where on the tight side. But it was ever so easy with my new tool:icon-cool:

Back