Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TLC HJ61 total reconditioning

This is a try out before I do the final installation. I thought it was difficult. Not really bad. Reason I had to use the chain block and the engine leveler is I suffer from back pains and should not carry any load. Sign of old age.

DSC03034.jpg

DSC03032.jpg

DSC03033.jpg

DSC03038.jpg

Last edited:
What was accomplished today. A final check through the wiring harness in preparation for the engine start.. Installed the cooling components and will have the engine rev up by tomorrow.

DSC03042.jpg

DSC03045.jpg

DSC03043.jpg

Brale and clutch lines were positioned into place. Looks neater.

DSC03047.jpg

DSC03046.jpg

DSC03048.jpg

The alternator was removed and went through a bench test. A 26 volt reading was achieved. Vacuum lines were also installed.

DSC03052.jpg

DSC03049.jpg

DSC03051.jpg

DSC03050.jpg

DSC03053.jpg

Yup, all system go for a rev up.

DSC03054.jpg

DSC03055.jpg

DSC03056.jpg

Last edited:
Your doing well Odis i hope we get a video walkaround when its all done :thumbup:

If i thought i could do all that i would be building my own custom cruiser but unfortunately i would in all probability just end up with 3 trashed LC's and no hope of completing one out of the 3 :icon-smile:

The front bumper is temporarily installed for alignment. Then will apply some body filler to correct some irregularities on the surface.

DSC03089.jpg

DSC03088.jpg

DSC03090.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

DSC03094.jpg

Last edited:
The rear bumper is much better than the front.

DSC03092.jpg

DSC03093.jpg

DSC03091.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fantastic work and I especially love the hammer.

You have noticed. Good observation including detail on tools. I've had so many metal tools including hammers and all broke because it just isn't made to last. So my guy welded this huge bolt and pipe together and works well. At least it will last forever. Thanks for your comment.

DSC03095.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got to work on the bumper. The price of the bumper extesnions really got me going. I will repair and make this look new so I can save.

DSC03099.jpg

DSC03100.jpg

DSC03098.jpg

Bumper extensions are deformed because of rust. I will replace the steel plate and bolt this to the bumper using rounded stainless steel bolts.

DSC03102.jpg

DSC03103.jpg

DSC03101.jpg

DSC03104.jpg

Last edited:
I did some pattern for the new steel bracket that will be installed on the bumper extensions.

DSC03106.jpg

DSC03105.jpg

Last edited:
Got the bumpers ready for the first coat of epoxy primer.

DSC03110.jpg

DSC03111.jpg

DSC03112.jpg

DSC03113.jpg

DSC03114.jpg

Last edited:
also scraped off the paint from some parts of the winch.

DSC03115.jpg

DSC03118.jpg

DSC03117.jpg

DSC03116.jpg

Last edited:
Some parts I ordered from Australia came in.

DSC03121.jpg

DSC03123.jpg

Got my door handles, door locks, windshield washer tank...

DSC03124.jpg

3 pieces of mud flaps, set of emergency brake cables.

DSC03125.jpg

Last edited:
So pleased to see the bumpers go black Oding, you had me worried for a moment..:lol:

So pleased to see the bumpers go black Oding, you had me worried for a moment..:lol:

:dance: I would go for a different color other than plain black. This is a mixture of 60% jet black, 40% metallic silver and 30% flattening paste. If everything goes as what I hope to achieve, then the color will stay. If not, black it is. Any suggestion on the bullbar color? Or should I leave it as it is, stainless steel look?

:dance: I would go for a different color other than plain black. This is a mixture of 60% jet black, 40% metallic silver and 30% flattening paste. If everything goes as what I hope to achieve, then the color will stay. If not, black it is. Any suggestion on the bullbar color? Or should I leave it as it is, stainless steel look?

I like the way you use paint mixes, I'd try to match the bull bar with the bumpers, JMO.

If the bar was really stainless steel, then that might be a different matter.

I'm with Clive on that. The contrast with your truck colour should look good. I would say to do the roof rack the same but you've already done that (and my one functioning brain cell has filed my memory of its colour under 'L' for lost).

I don't mean this to sound pedantic, but how can you have 60%, 40% and 30%? I can only assume you made a 60/40 mix first then added 30% of the total as flattening paste?

I like the way you use paint mixes, I'd try to match the bull bar with the bumpers, JMO.

If the bar was really stainless steel, then that might be a different matter.

I am not a pro when it comes to painting but I did research on the basic. I mix paint with the use of a digital scale. In this way, I can accurately mix colors with almost perfect consistency.

The bullbar is stainless steel. It would only be the glossy part if left as is.

I am not a pro when it comes to painting but I did research on the basic. I mix paint with the use of a digital scale. In this way, I can accurately mix colors with almost perfect consistency.

The bullbar is stainless steel. It would only be the glossy part if left as is.

Not sure what to say then Oding, painting stainless is difficult. It's very hard to get a good primer key.

I guess there's a suitable etch primer for stainless but I can't recommend anything.

I'm with Clive on that. The contrast with your truck colour should look good. I would say to do the roof rack the same but you've already done that (and my one functioning brain cell has filed my memory of its colour under 'L' for lost).

I don't mean this to sound pedantic, but how can you have 60%, 40% and 30%? I can only assume you made a 60/40 mix first then added 30% of the total as flattening paste?

For simplicity, I always mix paint by weight. 60 grams of black, 40 grams of metalic silver and 30 grams of flattening paste. This includes thinner by multiplying 130 grams by 2, which total to 260 grams. I can now have an accurate mix of 390 grams, more or less .40 of a liter. I do it this way so I can mix any amount only when I need them. This is very helpful especially when I do touch ups.

My idea of the color scheme is based on the BJ40 icon.

http://hiconsumption.com/2014/01/toyota-icon-land-cruiser-fj40/#

Toyota-ICON-Land-Cruiser-FJ40-3.jpg

Back