Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TLC HJ61 total reconditioning

i just read the whole thread and i must admit you hav done a job and half on this vehicle,
but i have 1 Q how do you remember how it all goes back together again?

me i would have forgot after about a month

i just read the whole thread and i must admit you hav done a job and half on this vehicle,
but i have 1 Q how do you remember how it all goes back together again?

me i would have forgot after about a month

When I was a little kid, I used to break apart toys and put it back together. I wanna see what was inside and how it worked. With the real thing I do steps.

1) Before disassembling, I take pictures. Lots of pictures and organizing them.
2) If I missed something, I go to google and search for pictures that will or might give me an idea.
3) I download manuals from the net and if not available, i buy them from dealers.
4) I get professional help from the expert mechanics.

I am about to be done with this project and I hope that whoever reads my thread will help in anyway. Einstein once said " THE ONLY SOURCE OF KNOWLEDGE IS EXPERIENCE"

Thanks for the comment.

You don't give yourself enough credit Oding i would say the your ability comes not so much from remembering where things go but instead from understanding how things work and why , when you have that kind of knowledge where everything actually goes is pretty much a forgone conclusion .

I can only speak for myself when i say i am in awe of your work but i'm sure many others feel the same .

You don't give yourself enough credit Oding i would say the your ability comes not so much from remembering where things go but instead from understanding how things work and why , when you have that kind of knowledge where everything actually goes is pretty much a forgone conclusion .

I can only speak for myself when i say i am in awe of your work but i'm sure many others feel the same .

Shayne, thanks for the compliment. Yes, you are right. It does help a lot when you have the knowledge of all parts and components on what it does and how it works. As I am nearing my retirement, I plan to expand my interest and probably do some more restoration. It is the only thing I love to do.

Last edited:
I detected a leak in the input shaft of the winch. Might as well check it out and repaint before I assemble.

DSC03140.jpg

DSC03139.jpg

DSC03138.jpg

Last edited:
Funny when you start scraping off some paint and you realize the rust underneath it. I just can't let it go without scraping the rest.

DSC03159.jpg

DSC03158.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here are some pics of the mud flaps clean and neat.

DSC03155.jpg

DSC03154.jpg

and the front bumper extension has new stainless steel brackets made to order.

DSC03156.jpg

DSC03157.jpg

Last edited:
Sand blasted the casing of the winch.

DSC03163.jpg

DSC03162.jpg

Last edited:
Strange, since post 300 I'm not getting the photos. [emoji20]

Yes, me too. All I can see is a grey no entry sign

Sorry guys, I have shifted my photo server to google photo. Please let me know if there is a problem so I can fix it. Thanks.

Sorry guys, I have shifted my photo server to google photo. Please let me know if there is a problem so I can fix it. Thanks.
Looks like you haven't given permission for the public to view them.

I really have gone deep on the winch. Found out that it was not just a leak but more of the internal gears and bearings.

DSC03166.jpg

DSC03167.jpg

DSC03168.jpg

DSC03171.jpg

Last edited:
Photies all good this end :thumbup:

I'll bet the winch was happy, when it realized you were going in. A fair few cobwebs in there by the look of it. :lol:

Photies all good this end :thumbup:

I'll bet the winch was happy, when it realized you were going in. A fair few cobwebs in there by the look of it. :lol:

I practically checked almost everything. I don't want to miss out on anything that might breakdown only to realize that I left it out. The winch is the most abused and neglected accessory on the vehicle. If you notice the oil, it is black and has lost it's viscosity. I would say it never got an oil change.

Back