Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TLC HJ61 total reconditioning

Finally got that heavy tranny up and installed. It was not bad after all. If I'll do it again, it would be close to a piece of cake. Really, it is always the first time. I learned that there is actually a fix for the transfer case input gear that has so much play. And you can actually install this without taking down the tranny.

DSC03988.JPG

DSC03989.JPG

DSC03990.JPG

DSC03991.JPG

DSC03992.JPG

DSC03993.JPG

DSC03994.JPG

The transfer case input gear has a spacer in between the PTO gear. The fix eliminated the spacer and combined it with the gear. So the spline where the spacer seats is good as new and will help in reducing the play back to normal. I don't know how long or how strong it will be. But that is the alternative to removing the transmission output shaft.

s-l1600.jpg

One I saw was a welded gear and the spacer together with the PTO gear.

IM001401.jpg

This came in from the land down under. The transfer input gear. Got the transfer case parts ordered and still waiting for the others to arrive.

DSC04037.JPG

Meantime, I got the wiring in the center console organized and looks good to me. All four cameras are working.

DSC04048.JPG

DSC04047.JPG

DSC04046.JPG

DSC04045.JPG

DSC04044.JPG

Last edited:
A plastic lining is placed on all four doors.

DSC04051.JPG

DSC04050.JPG

DSC04049.JPG

Last edited:
I just had to check on the front differential again as I am not satisfied on the performance.

DSC04055.JPG

DSC04053.JPG

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interested to see the findings of the front diff investigation.

As for the rest, everything to your usual high standards, very nicely done Oding. :thumbup:

I got the front differential in, finalizing front axle.

DSC04057.JPG

DSC04059.JPG

DSC04060.JPG

DSC04061.JPG

DSC04062.JPG

DSC04063.JPG

Interested to see the findings of the front diff investigation.

As for the rest, everything to your usual high standards, very nicely done Oding. :thumbup:

I think the previous owner swapped the front differential to the rear and vise versa. The play was way off specs. The only problem was the side gear thrust washer. since I am not setup for off road but more on the overland, I just replaced the thrust washer with an old one I had. Got the play within specs now. By the way, both front and rear differential are Limited Slip or LSD.

I think the previous owner swapped the front differential to the rear and vise versa. The play was way off specs. The only problem was the side gear thrust washer. since I am not setup for off road but more on the overland, I just replaced the thrust washer with an old one I had. Got the play within specs now. By the way, both front and rear differential are Limited Slip or LSD.
Interesting they are both LSD Oding. I wonder if that is factory or an addition by the previous owner interesting that they are the same pattern front and rear.

Interesting they are both LSD Oding. I wonder if that is factory or an addition by the previous owner interesting that they are the same pattern front and rear.

Good thing I realize that so I can fill it up with the right gear oil. No wonder I sometimes hear a grinding sound whenever I engage the 4 wheel drive.

Good thing I realize that so I can fill it up with the right gear oil. No wonder I sometimes hear a grinding sound whenever I engage the 4 wheel drive.
Good point. My LSD in the rear axle is marked on the casing LSD oil only. I would guess if yours were both stock then you would have (had) labels on both casings.

That reminds me, mine is due for an oil change. :whistle:

LSD on the front Oding?

Sounds like it would make the steering mighty heavy, and scrub front tyres...

Just thinking out loud really.

Do you have free-wheel hubs on the front?

LSD on the front Oding?

Sounds like it would make the steering mighty heavy, and scrub front tyres...

Just thinking out loud really.

Do you have free-wheel hubs on the front?

I don't normally use the front wheel drive. Only on steep, off-road driving. which I do whenever I go up the boondocks. I do have free wheeling hub and is most of the time disengaged. I will be assembling the transfer case today as the parts have already arrived.

DSC04066.JPG

DSC04067.JPG

DSC04068.JPG

DSC04069.JPG

DSC04070.JPG

Looks better than when you opened it up Oding!

I was only saying because my 80 with the CD and both axles locked is almost impossible to steer, the front locker can only be used to get you out, not to drive with.

Nice work as usual... :thumbup:

I have installed this sound insulation that is more than a quarter of an inch thick. weighs about more than a kilo for one sheet of .5 meter x 1 meter. Cost about US$ 37.50. I will give feedback on the result. 2 to 3 sheets needed to fill up the transmission cover and the whole floor at the front.

DSC04072.JPG

DSC04073.JPG

DSC04074.JPG

DSC04075.JPG

My first long trip to the north of the Philippines. start date is on October 24. I hope to capture and share every moment of this journey.

Trip to Baguio.png

I'm really looking forward to this trip Oding. Not just because it's the first big trip for the truck but to get to see some of your country will be fantastic.
Yet again, great work on the truck. The finish line must be in sight now.

Last edited:
Oooh, I like the sound of that Oding.

"Capture" I hope means videos as well as photos?

Must get some popcorn on order.... :lol:

Back