Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TLC HJ61 total reconditioning

Hi Oding, I've been looking in the 'Chassis & Body - 1980 Pub No 36044E', no diagrams with turbo lights. but I noticed an emission ECU. When I look at the diagram of the 80-series emission ecu, there is a connection to the combination meter for the turbo light. might point you in the right direction.
I had to open my ecu and replace a burnt capacitor to get my tach working, so with a bit of luck....

Hi Oding, I've been looking in the 'Chassis & Body - 1980 Pub No 36044E', no diagrams with turbo lights. but I noticed an emission ECU. When I look at the diagram of the 80-series emission ecu, there is a connection to the combination meter for the turbo light. might point you in the right direction.
I had to open my ecu and replace a burnt capacitor to get my tach working, so with a bit of luck....

Firewout, mine has a module by the driver's side kick panel. I do not know if this is an ECU but I'll check as soon as I get back from a trip to another island here in the Philippines. I can get a wiring diagram for an 80 series. Thanks for the heads up, appreciate all the help.

Happy Father's Day to all.

Oding, that is just class. There's just no other word for it:clap:. im just after buying a 70 the other day so ill be starting on my own project when i get home from lebanon in few months and hope you dont mind but ill ne using your 60 as insperation for my 70.

Oding, that is just class. There's just no other word for it:clap:. im just after buying a 70 the other day so ill be starting on my own project when i get home from lebanon in few months and hope you dont mind but ill ne using your 60 as insperation for my 70.

Welcome to the forum and thank you. Hope I can help you in any way.

I don't no where to start after I left off last June 16. I got occupied by travelling with the Willie. So excited that I had so much fun. My travel was not so far away. Back and forth from my home island to another island where my kids go to college. A round trip crossing a channel would take around 8 hours and a 300 kilometer distance. All these travelling got me aware of some clinking, clanking, grinding and howling underneath the chassis. I realized I got and LSD rear axle. Play was so much off, transfer case out put shaft produces sound that keeps you awake all night dreaming what the hell is wrong. Front axle has a 1 inch play with leaking steering knuckle and a busted inner axle seal, The tranny has to come down as I think the clutch release n=bearing is rattling too much and getting louder. All these defects mentioned will keep me busy for a week. I want to drive up north and enjoy the Willie.

I already took out the front and rear propeller shaft, drained both differentials and tranny, PTO and transfer case. The tranny goes down tomorrow. I built an adapter for my 3 ton crocodile jack to ease the removal. Call it the jack aid.

DSC03935.JPG

DSC03936.JPG

DSC03937.JPG

DSC03938.JPG

Reactions: Sag
The rear propeller shaft is bent slightly and has to go to the machine shop for alignment.

DSC03932.JPG

DSC03933.JPG

DSC03934.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would like to share some pics of my trail to the mountains with my commander and two of my kids.. The Willie did not even shout or gasp.

DSC03923.JPG

DSC03925.JPG

DSC03927.JPG

"My Commander" :laughing-rolling: gotta love an honest man :thumbup: truck looks great Odin and fair play to you for going the extra mile to make sure it drives as good as it looks .

I'm with Shayne on commander remark, perfect! Shame you're finding faults after such an extensive rebuild, but I suppose it's inevitable having been off the road for so long. Everything is fixable, so it's just a matter of time and patience I suppose. Lovely photos, good looking family and a great truck! What more could you ask for Oding?

I'm with Shayne on commander remark, perfect! Shame you're finding faults after such an extensive rebuild, but I suppose it's inevitable having been off the road for so long. Everything is fixable, so it's just a matter of time and patience I suppose. Lovely photos, good looking family and a great truck! What more could you ask for Oding?

Reality is, I asked a mechanic who worked in Dubai to do a thorough check on the under chassis. He did a half ass job, took his money and thought I would not dig into it. Lesson learned, it is best you do it yourself even if it is a learning experience. The internet is an open book. Practically all information is at the stroke of your fingers. I enjoy every minute of every fix and get the satisfaction once you get it right and peace of mind that you did it right.

Hi there Firewout, I found out regarding the turbo lights and how they really work on the HJ61. There is no serious electronic stuff in the turbo light system. It is composed of 2 pressure switch with ground control. No relays. It connects directly to the Tach meter with three wires. Two comes from the the pressure switches and the other is connected to the charge light or the magic eye. And that is there to it.

Attachments

• Turbo electrical diagnosis.pdf
    104.7 KB · Views: 186
Got the tranny off and will do analysis tomorrow.

DSC03939.JPG

DSC03940.JPG

DSC03941.JPG

DSC03942.JPG

DSC03943.JPG

DSC03944.JPG

DSC03945.JPG

DSC03946.JPG

DSC03947.JPG

DSC03948.JPG

DSC03949.JPG

DSC03950.JPG

DSC03951.JPG

DSC03952.JPG

DSC03953.JPG

DSC03954.JPG

DSC03955.JPG

The front bearing shaft in place. Old one shown for purpose of comparison.

DSC03973.JPG

A new clutch release bearing.
DSC03974.JPG

DSC03975.JPG

DSC03976.JPG

Found out that my transmission output shaft was really worn out. Any of you fellow LC60 owners got 1 extra you don't need?

DSC03977.JPG

DSC03980.JPG

DSC03982.JPG

Al ready and loaded on my home made transmission jack.

DSC03983.JPG

DSC03984.JPG

DSC03985.JPG

DSC03986.JPG

DSC03987.JPG

Reactions: Sag
Back