Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Towing another Car on a trailer

IRLGW

Does anyone have experience towing cars around ( except landrovers :laughing-rolling:). I'm wondering how it works in terms of Insurance. I am looking at buying a salvage car with a value of 10k+ and just had a thought about how its insured for collecting and trailering it home. It may be catD or even CatC so I wondered how this affects it as well.

As far as I am aware, the car is treated like any other load you may be carrying. It is not covered itself by most policies, unless it's a car transport policy. Hence uninsured cars can be trailered around without any worries.

Once your insurance policy covers 'use while drawing a trailer' as it's worded here, then you are all good. Should you crash, then the trailer will not be a reason to default on a claim, although it would have to be named on the policy or have its own policy to cover damage to the trailer itself. The 'contents', in this case the car, are usually not covered unless you pay a mighty bit extra.

Ive had everything from a golf, to a VW van on the big Williams trailer, and not cast a thought.

Much the same as towing a caravan I suspect. Assuming your car insurance lets you tow you should be covered for third party damage if the trailers becomes unhitched etc but the trailer and it's load will not be unless you have a separate policy for them. JMO

Yes I will be on to the insurance company tomorrow. I am wondering if you can actually insure a Catd before you drive it. Technically if it comes with the logbook then I guess there is no reason why not except it may become difficult to establish which damage was original or as the result of an accident post purchase.....very grey area at the moment...

third party liability only on your own insurance as long as its attached to the tow car.
I suspect the only way to cover the salvage its by having some type of trade insurance, which, if you're not a trader, is a catch 22 situation.
If you're buying from Copart don't expect it to be quite as good as it looks.....

check your breakdown cover has trailer cover added, and total length, and total weight too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah ha- as I suspected I dont have trade but I do have multicar- No buying from small dealer in London and putting on a 16ft flatbed - not quite a transporter but should be fine. I thought the whole purpose of having a landcruiser was not to need breakdown and thats what I tell the insurance company every time the try to sell it to me. Yes love, I drive a landcruiser and a honda- why would I need breakdown? Usually ends the sales pitch abruptly.

Actually I wonder how many of the faithful owners/hypocrites on here have breakdown cover for their truck (excluding the 90 series owners)! They should all be banished to their own corner of the forum

The LC is covered on my RAC personal cover which covers any vehicle as I also have motorcycles. Brought me back from Scotland on a flatbed 2 years ago when a stone went through the rad on the ZX14 and it couldn't be fixed roadside. Heaven knows how much that would've cost so I'd never be without it personally. JMO

The LC is covered on my RAC personal cover which covers any vehicle as I also have motorcycles. Brought me back from Scotland on a flatbed 2 years ago when a stone went through the rad on the ZX14 and it couldn't be fixed roadside. Heaven knows how much that would've cost so I'd never be without it personally. JMO
I had a similar situation (albeit with a Discovery) a few years back....barreling along the M4 at night with a Saab convertible on a trailer behind me. Wouldn't be without the cover now...

Back