Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota main dealer replaced brake fluid with Dot 5

Lorin

Five months ago I had all the brake fluid changed by the main Toyota dealer. Today, I gave them a call to ask whether they put Dot 3 or Dot 4 in as the fluid is a bit low and Dot 3 is hard to find. Obviously Dot 3 is what is specified. They just informed me that they replaced the fluid with Dot 5 :?

What are people's thoughts about this? The fluids were not mixed as it was a complete system flush and replace. But could there be any issues in terms of the seals/washers in the master cyclinder etc... which incidentally needs replacing. Should I be worried about anything else?

Manager just called me back, it was Dot 5.1 not Dot 5 they used :oops: Which apparently, is totally compatible, so all sorted :thumbup:

Yes, I replaced wife's RAV4 fluid recently with DOT5.1 Toyo stuff and originally specified was DOT3 I think. Dealer assured me then it was back compatible.

My local dealer has used nothing but 5.1 for years. For all t0yotas I believe. That's all they have.

Just replaced mine with Racing Girling fluid and never thought of compatibility . Mind you I had enough to flush through in the morning. [Still doesn't stop like F1 though]. I had loads on the shelf so just used it.

Frank

Back