Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

trails around the berwyn mountains llanwddyn?

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
after doing nowt but work for the last three years ems seen enough and booked us a week in wales.
can anyone recommend a nice day out on some scenic and interested trails?

thinking of taking the little inflatable and outboard with us. any hidden lakes around there? being used to the freedom of Scotland cant be bothered with permits and all that...

ta.

Bala and Bala lake.
The Wayfarer 4x4 route starts a little North of Llanwddyn in Llandrillo.
Powis Castle is worth a visit.

Bala Lake can be quite windy. Take a rock and some string!

It's nice around Lake Vyrnwy (Llanwddyn). But you have to watch put for midgies in the evenings. There's a wonderful water fall at the end of the lake, it's called Rhiwagor.

It's around my neck of the woods and Mid Wales boast's many trails.

If you decide to come over this way PM me, it's would be good to meet up at some point.

I've camped out that way. It's very pretty. We didn't get bothered by anyone even though we had a fire on. The midges were surprisingly bothersome.

Bala (Lynn Tegid) is one of my old teenage haunts, dinghy sailing and canoeing and a few other things that will remain unsaid...

We used to camp in a field next to the disused railway halt at Llangower Point if I’ve remembered the name properly.

I’m going back almost 50 years mind, so it’s likely a Butlins or some such by now...

Across the lake at the point is one mile, I swam it once. It’s bloody cold that lake, it was a hot summer and still the water was numbing. It’s very deep apparently, someone local said its as deep as it is wide in the middle.

From Brum I always drove up to Knockin, then Oswestry to Llanfyllin, and then up that steep road over the Berwyns.

I loved that road, in my Austin A30 towing a 15’ cabin boat and a Mirror dinghy on the roof. I’d be shot for that nowadays.

Great area.

The waterfall at Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant is worth a visit, I think its the tallest falls in the UK....

Ho-hum, memories. :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I helped an old school friend's parents to move out of their house back 20 years or more ago at the top end of the lake and they (the midgies) were thick in the air. Must of been late September time if I can recall correctly lol!

From here it's the gateway to North Wales really, but it's only on the return trip that I've driven... Dinas Mawddwy to the western or Bala to more north via Rhos y Gwaliau. Both very scenic routes especially the Dinas pass. Really worth a drive past.... very low traffic so all of it is yours!

The beauty of Wales!

I bought my 81 from a guy in Llanrhaeadr y mochnant Clive! Lol

Really?

As kids my parents always took us there, and Bala, Lake Vernwy, Betws-y-Coed, all over that area.

Having moved to Romania, whenever I get the chance to visit the UK, I take my little tribe there for old times’ sake. I was at the falls last May and nothing much has changed there.

Aura loves every minute of it.

Just miss my truck too much when I’m touring the UK.

As an ex John Lewis Partner, I still have the use of the Bala Lake Hotel which is lovely and handy for the run up into North Wales on the bike.

Bala to me feels like a last fronteer kinda place! After going over the Berwyns from the east!

From this side of Wales you go over the mountains from the rolling hills and you're truly in North Wales territory.... completely different area.

When they defined the county border from Montgomeryshire to Denbighshire which lays on the summit between... am sure there were some bloody battles there over land!

Interesting I've always thought...

Bala Lake can be quite windy. Take a rock and some string!
Too tempting for em. She would tie it round my feet and chuck me overboard..

It seems lake bala wont allow motor boats. Ill take it anyway just in case.

Will have a look at the wayfarer.

Last edited:
couldn't go on any of the lakes so headed for the beach! we take this when we go to Scotland, adds a different angle to camping. it fits in a bag with straps, weighs 50 kg without the motor.
20180717_165127.jpg
20180717_152159.jpg
20180717_171423.jpg

wanted to give it a good clean when we got back to the digs so threw it on the roof..

a massive thanks to @iwan_t24 who took the time out to show us around miles of fantastic trails with some great scenery, we barely saw a soul all day. we finished off a great day with a cracking meal at a local pub.
thanks again, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

20180719_125913.jpg

20180719_123503.jpg

20180716_173714.jpg

20180716_133110.jpg

20180716_134055.jpg

20180716_130311.jpg

20180716_125732.jpg

20180716_121704.jpg

20180716_164841.jpg

now, I love my rtt, sleeping in the truck, under a hedge etc as much as the next man, but every now and then its nice to rest the old bones..
20180718_214001.jpg

It was a good day out and about Mike. Nice to get out into the mountains!

Been a long time since I've been over to that area, so time well spent. The ground looks very dry in the pictures it's good to see them! Cheers :thumbup:

:thumbup:
You were right about the road to the coast. It was awesome, we were the only ones on it and the 80 seemed to turn into a sports car..

Back