Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TransferBox/Case or something else !!!???

Charis

Country Flag
cyprus
Hello everyone .
I hope everyone is good in health because is what matters at end of the day. (I have been the last 3 months in and out of bloody hospitals and doctors and f...... chem tests .......) . I think i need a drink .....anyway.

The problem.
This problem is been there from the day i bougth the car. I can hear a big knock on underneath my seat in the TransferBox/Case side .This is happening everytime the car is kicking gear down fast and everytime i accelarate and deaccelarate fast . After checking the shafts that are connected on transferbox noticed that both as i remeber correctly have a big amount of free play .(We have disconnect the one side that is connected on the axle ) . Does any one know what to do or what else to check even parts to order ?

Thanks guys/ladies/aliens .

Sorry to hear of your ailments, here's hoping they get it sorted soon.

Again, I'm not experienced with autos Charis, but I would first (and maybe you already have) check the obvious and that means related issues that are visible.

These trucks are ageing now so "free play" is inevitable, it's just a matter of deciding what's excessive and what's normal for its mileage, age etc.

I'd check the cross-member mounting rubber, it may be contaminated with oil and gone soft, it may be loose, or it may be broken. You'll need to lift the box, or try to, most likely, then that will show a broken or loose mounting easily, a simple jack and a block of wood will do the trick.

Check all mountings and bolt tightness, noises transmit all over the place, so even a clunking front prop UJ may sound like it's something adrift in the g/tf-box.

Once you're satisfied that all externals are in good order, then is the time to move to internals. I can't help you there (I'm probably not helping at all anyway) but I'm sure someone will be along with some bright ideas.... :pray:

If after going through Clive's ideas and you have no luck, try removing either of the propshafts one at a time, lock the centre diff and then try to replicate the noise.

This should help isolate the cause and will rule out play in the differentials/props.

Regards

Dave

If after going through Clive's ideas and you have no luck, try removing either of the propshafts one at a time, lock the centre diff and then try to replicate the noise.

This should help isolate the cause and will rule out play in the differentials/props.

Regards

Dave
Hello everyone .
Done the mentione above . Still the same.
So i guess i need to find transferbox repair kit or a used ``good`` one .

Thanks.

Your truck is a HDJ81 VX and TF box failure isn't such a common issue. If you can find and get it to a gearbox reconditioning company, they might be able to save it, and cheaper than a replacement.

I'm guessing Cyprus isn't actually bristling with LC 80 breaker yards, it's very close to impossible to get second hand 80 stuff here.

Good greasing might show up some gremlins? let the suspension hang before greasing props and ujoints. (don't overfill props - that will get you more issues)
drain /refill diffs/transfer case as well - check the condition of old oil)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good greasing might show up some gremlins? let the suspension hang before greasing props and ujoints. (don't overfill props - that will get you more issues)
drain /refill diffs/transfer case as well - check the condition of old oil)

Just a clarification if I may, the overfill comment relates only to the sliding splines, not UJs, they can't get enough, all 4 bearings of every joint should be oozing grease...

This might sound an odd suggestion.... make sure the silencer box under the drivers seat isn't hitting the floor and producing this sound.

I tried for months to track down what I thought was a drive train problem, it turned out to be the exhaust creating a noise that sounded like splines being chewed up.

There was a guy on here many years ago, I cannot recall his 'nickname' but his real name is Terry. He had an auto and it would clonk badly just as you slowed down and the box went into 1st. IIRC he talked with someone named Julian who works on 80's for a living in the UK, he seemed to think it was a gearbox fault, and having driven Terry's car I was inclined to think the same. As per Clive's thoughts the transfer boxes are generally reliable but, we are now seeing problems more often as the vehicle age but, the 80 TB failure mode seems to be a sudden 'working fine one minute, sudden grating noise and no drive the next!'.

Now seen this three times in the last couple of years, mine included.

regards

Dave

Something mine does on occasion is to ring like a bell. It only happens rarely if I'm accelerating hard then back off just as the auto box changes gear. It's done it as long as I've owned it but very rarely and I'm not sure I'm even describing how it comes about correctly as I don't think I could replicate it if I wanted to.

Something mine does on occasion is to ring like a bell. It only happens rarely if I'm accelerating hard then back off just as the auto box changes gear. It's done it as long as I've owned it but very rarely and I'm not sure I'm even describing how it comes about correctly as I don't think I could replicate it if I wanted to.

I've had that too Rich, it's a definite "clang" with resonance, I'm guessing from one or both propshafts, tubular bells stylie

Mine's a manual so I put it down to operator error. Since having a purge on UJs, with some replacements, and having the rear diff preload reset, I don't seem to have the problem anymore.

Back