Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission Lockup Switch

Hi,
I've had one on mine for a year or so. They work very well but I was a bit disappointed by the manufacturing quality. One of the leads on the shunt fell off and proved to have been almost severed before being covered by the shrink sleeve. The manufacturer blamed his subcontractor and just left me to fix it. Pretty poor service I thought.
Fitting it requires soldering the wires onto the gearbox ECU connector which is way up under the scuttle. Dead easy if you're a contortionist!
On balance worth the effort; I also bought their modified solenoid kit and heavy duty torque converter which I had fitted when the autobox was rebuilt. All working well after 15k miles.
I installed the switch on the central consul in one of the 4 spaces. Fits easily with just a little easing of the hole but it's a bit prone to bring accidently activated so with hindsight I'd put it somewhere else. I originally planned to use an illuminated toggle switch and an idiot light on the dash in place of the supplied switch but couldn't find a tidy place to put them!
I'll post some pictures of the install if anyone is interested.

thanks John, is yours the gen 2 version?

Don't think so. I don't recall any mention of that when I bought it. What's the difference supposed to be?
J

Im not sure, says it has its own ECU, and I think the gen 1 was just a relay?

I have the extreme valve body and Gen 1 lock-up(just a switch). This gives me manual lock-up in all gears. 1st is useful off-road, especially descending steep declines. 2nd and 3rd is good for managing heat build-up in the box, especially on long and/or slow climbs. If I don't flick the switch to unlock when I slow down, it will stall. With mine, it will lock the gear you select (i.e. You need to be in L to lock first, 2 to lock second etc. If you use it in D, it will lock third if O/D is off). I think the Gen 2 may be different though. For me it has made a big difference and was well worth doing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've built my own wich is super easy, cost: a bit of wire, a switch and a relay.
Mine is the same as Lorin's except for the 1st gear lock up. You need a valve body upgrade for that.
It makes me want to drive it locked all the time but the shifts are harsh and my 80 stalls when coming to stop.

Pretty sure I've seen people make there own system, and with research you'll probably find some kinds. It's useful to have a kill switch wired in to either a certain speed in relation to the gear you're in or/and when on the breaks thus preventing the stalling issue.

I have the extreme valve body and Gen 1 lock-up(just a switch). This gives me manual lock-up in all gears. 1st is useful off-road, especially descending steep declines. 2nd and 3rd is good for managing heat build-up in the box, especially on long and/or slow climbs. If I don't flick the switch to unlock when I slow down, it will stall. With mine, it will lock the gear you select (i.e. You need to be in L to lock first, 2 to lock second etc. If you use it in D, it will lock third if O/D is off). I think the Gen 2 may be different though. For me it has made a big difference and was well worth doing.

I am not a lover of auto's but if forced to have one that was used off road, I would go this route, it is a proven piece of kit. Of course I would need to have had at least one leg cut off,...perhaps even both..........even an arm....oh and three fingers of the remaining hand. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

I am not a lover of auto's but if forced to have one that was used off road, I would go this route, it is a proven piece of kit. Of course I would need to have had at least one leg cut off,...perhaps even both..........even an arm....oh and three fingers of the remaining hand. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave
The auto would indeed come in handy then dave...

Back