Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission Noise

Mblinko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
When driving along normally, there is a speed related drone, much like a dry bearing. When I put the clutch down the noise goes away. So, I'm thinking the thrust bearing is on its way out. Would it be anything else? :think:

The only other clutch query I have is a judder when cold and moving off in first.

Does it make the same noise at a standstill or only when driving, if it is doing when stopped it's the release bearing.

Good question, I will check tomorrow and report back

Worn clutch release bearings "usually" make a noise when you put pressure on them, i.e. when you depress the pedal.

When stationary, with the clutch disengaged, the scenario changes dramatically, the primary shaft into the G/box stops rotating so the problem could be primary shaft bearings.

The trouble is, almost everything is a "could be" until properly diagnosed.

Good luck...:thumbup:

Last edited:
In my experience the noise on a release bearing goes away when you press the pedal,that's why it's there most of the time when driving except when changing gear.

I guess a release bearing could go noisy in either scenario (clutch in or out) but on past experience I 'd have to say the release bearing is probably OK if it's quiet when loaded i.e.., clutch disengaged. When the clutch is depressed the release bearing is loaded but the first motion shaft is unloaded so a shaft bearing is a possibility. A fix of either problem obviously requires gearbox removal so unless the clutch was relatively new you'd be renewing that and the release bearing anyway. It could, of course, go on for many more miles with out becoming a real problem if you can put up with the noise. I also get a bit of clutch judder very occasionally but most of the time it's fine. JMO

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The release bearing on mine gets noisy every few months, PO fitted it dry so it chirps every now and again, I get a straw and some we 40 and take off the bellows at the clutch fork and spray it onto the bearing with engine running and all goes quiet again for another few thousand miles.

I will have to get the WD40 into mine as well as mine does the exact same. Cheers

I will have to get the WD40 into mine as well as mine does the exact same. Cheers
Very easy done and works well as long as you don't spray it on the clutch itself, spray it towards the middle of the bell housing and it should hit where it's meant to.

Back