Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UK new for research (wannabe owner)

My vx has cloth as its a early one. To be fair all model are great just look into what you want.
Stu

Hi, I joined the forum,and have mainly spent the last few weeks, just reading.ha..
My head is now fried...
I need a fair size vehicle,it must be 4x4, I will hardly ever go seriously off road, more rutted track, but more importantly, snow.
I do little mileage,2k a year..(I have another car) I do NOT want a massive petrol engine, I think.
I have also been thrown on auto or manual also.
When I joined, my idea and plan was thus..
Get rid of fairly new VW T5 Van, with all it's DPF and sensors, and go back to old school engine,
Bomb proof reliable 4x4 Land Cruiser, decided on Colorado 95. around 98-99 vintage,
finding out not so bomb proof, overheating, cracked heads, dodgy rads, auto boxes going to mush.
Now looking at an 80
Am I right in thinking this is an older 100 or am I totally wrong.
Has this got the gear box probs and head problems, or have they a new set of problems..
my speck list should poss be 24v 4.2 diesel still not sure of gear box
Any thoughts please...

The newer 80s are manual only (uk spec). Both trannys and engines seem reliable enough, but not without fault just with any other vehicle. You could get a well cared for and documented one for peace of mind.

In regards to auto vs manual, i always believed the thought that auto was better offroad/mud because it selects the gear or amount of torque for you.

The 100 is the next generation but has independent suspension and i *think* shares some engines.

Hi, I joined the forum,and have mainly spent the last few weeks, just reading.ha..
My head is now fried...
I need a fair size vehicle,it must be 4x4, I will hardly ever go seriously off road, more rutted track, but more importantly, snow.
I do little mileage,2k a year..(I have another car) I do NOT want a massive petrol engine, I think.
I have also been thrown on auto or manual also.
When I joined, my idea and plan was thus..
Get rid of fairly new VW T5 Van, with all it's DPF and sensors, and go back to old school engine,
Bomb proof reliable 4x4 Land Cruiser, decided on Colorado 95. around 98-99 vintage,
finding out not so bomb proof, overheating, cracked heads, dodgy rads, auto boxes going to mush.
Now looking at an 80
Am I right in thinking this is an older 100 or am I totally wrong.
Has this got the gear box probs and head problems, or have they a new set of problems..
my speck list should poss be 24v 4.2 diesel still not sure of gear box
Any thoughts please...

If you are only dpoing 2000 ,iles a year then buy a petrol. you will save your self a lot of money in the long run. Gary posted he got 20 mpg from his so a diesel will get 30mpg so in simple terms if petrol and diesel are the same a petrol is a 3rd more exspensive to run. but a low milage petrol 80 is 3-4k when a deisel in the same condition milage will be 7-8+ thats a lot of extra perol to buy to make the difference.

they are alot faster and more fun to drive.

auto manual??? its what you like if i found a good car it would not matter which it was. manual they say are better on fuel though.

stu

For that sort of miles I'd go for a petrol tbh. As Stu says you can get more for your money, often lower miles and the price difference buys a lot of fuel. I paid £4400 for a tidy late 97 vx amazon with 72k miles and a full history. Straight petrol, no lpg.

On a good run mines not too bad and will get up to 20mpg, that's with 35" mts and going steady, not working the gearbox hard etc. Round town not as good but with the smaller tyres fitted it's not too bad on fuel.
I'm limited to 5k a year with my insurance and that's more then I need as it's not our main motor.

Back