Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UK next?

:angry-screaming: Shudders, :angry-screaming:
I guess if we allow them to, then frankly yes?
It is up to the indigenous population to say "Enough is enough"
Apart from that, I guess civil war, with dramatic loss of life.

Gra.

I think that anyone coming to another country must respect that member country's culture. However, that culture is constantly moving and where would we be if we hadn't adapted and changed over the years? No more curry on a Friday night. Now that's a true shocker. So I welcome new influences. But, I would be unsure about any radical influences and wholesale change by any particular sector of culture or belief etc. That's what used to be called an invasion. If people come here and don't like it therefore try to make it like their home, I would certainly resist that. If people openly said 'let's go there and change it' I would frankly not want to let them in. If people come here and try to bring a little bit of home with them, that's largely a good thing. What we are good at is seeing only one side of the story though. Look at the Crusades. Now I am no expert on the Holy Wars, but I rather think we went of to educate those heathens. Well how very kind of us. So this is all nothing new and only the age had changed.

What is important is that we don't take everything we see and hear in the media as fact. It was only in the 1940s that we were told that the Germans ate babies!

Chris

There are already examples of Religious Law in this country, its the Belgians lagging behind us, not the other way around.

British Law takes precedence, and a law within a religious community cannot contradict what the Law says, so, but there are distinct differences.

The most obvious example is Divorce, I can think of at least 3 religious beliefs which have different divorce systems in place (Sharia, Judaism and Jehovahs), all 3 are recognised by the Uk.

What cant happen are things like imprisonment, capital or corporeal punishment, but generally if something falls within a Religious context it can be dealt with by that communities temporal system.

As a country we are becoming more secular, the established Church of England has far less influence, but there are still Lords sitting in the House who are appointed by the Church, thus giving the Church a say in the governing of the Uk, had the last changes to the House been passed, the Church would have had far less influence.

Approx. 50% of primary Schools in the Uk are religious and outside of Local Authority control.

The Uk Muslim community is tiny, and shoulnt be confused with the Taliban or Al'Qaeeda.

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
eye opener ... true it might be but i never knew Europe was being invaded. i know Canada has a HUGE number of Muslims but those that i know are really down to earth. they did tell me in conversation that the extremists are to be feared.

Graham said:
Crushers said:
Whats the " :shock:
:naughty: " for?

true isn't it?

Gra.

expand on the Jehovahs part, after being a JW for 27 years i am interested in what you might be refering to.
:think:
wobbly said:
There are already examples of Religious Law in this country, its the Belgians lagging behind us, not the other way around.

British Law takes precedence, and a law within a religious community cannot contradict what the Law says, so, but there are distinct differences.

The most obvious example is Divorce, I can think of at least 3 religious beliefs which have different divorce systems in place (Sharia, Judaism and Jehovahs), all 3 are recognised by the Uk.
Pete

their agenda has always been to rule by numbers,hence being able to have more than 1 wife and produce more kids,world wide they are the fastest growing religion,not by conversions but by producing more kids.
I always thought that if you go to any country you have to abide by that countries law but here is a guy calling the host community a dirty pervasive community just because their women prefer to excise their right to really wear what they like.
There are more killing of muslims by muslims than anybody just because they don't share the same islamic ideology and that speaks volumes.
Ram

Hinduism and Judaism also allow polygamy.

Some Muslim beliefs allow up to a maximum of 4 wives, although some Muslim states do not allow it at all, Morocco being one such.

The Catholic Church has a policy of supporting large families, I believe, as a central tenet of their belief is that all life is sacred and that contraception breaches this, although I have noticed that many families at our local CofE school now have 3,4 or 5 children.

The Sunni and Shi'a conflicts are very similar in context to the religious wars in Europe, the Thirty Years War being proportionately the bloodiest war in history, some 25% of the total population of Europe died during its course. That'll be the Catholics and Protestants again. The largest Sunni / Shi'a conflict was that between Iran and Iraq in the 1980's, the cost in human lives was immense, but tend to think this owed more to the egos of Saddam Hussein and the Iraqi Mullahs rather than a genuine desire to establish once and for all whether descendants of the Prophet are actually Gods representatives on earth.

We can't by law have a Catholic King or Queen in this Country, the Duke of Monmouth being the last to attempt it, the Protestant King had his head off I believe. Cost Edward VIII his crown in the 30's. Whilst one cant doubt the sincerity of the Reformers at the time of the Dissolution of the Catholic Church in Britain, maybe the Catholic Church had become too idolatorous, but surely Henry VIII didnt actually believe he was Gods representative on Earth? Sounds a bit like the Sunni/Shi'a issue to me....

There are some pretty evil people in the world, but neither Stalin nor Hitler were Muslims, and I find it strange that the Norwegian lunatic Anders Brevic slaughtered white Christians in his 'holy war' against the muslim menace.

There may even be Muslim Landcruiser owners, possibly even some without AA guns on the back....

Religion? Not for me, too many contradictions, used for too long to control the masses, but just at the crucial moment I reckon I'll be speaking to the Big Guy in my most polite manner, just in case.......

Regards

Pete

wobbly said:
Religion? Not for me, too many contradictions,

Could've fool me with how much you right about it. :)

I, like you, have a list of apologies I shall make just before the train crashes into me. Just in case. They the gods (collectively) are forgiving as they are supposed to be, then it'll work just fine.

I don't believe in a higher power in any form. I do believe we evolved into what we are and we'll "devolve" and, in time, the whole process with start over.

I agree that religion has been used like the fear of the dark. You're afraid of what you can't see and we were brought up to be afraid of god (You do good, heaven, you do bad, hell) It's a fear of the unknown that drives it all and some people thrive on it; they need to feel loved.

Crispin said:
wobbly said:
Religion? Not for me, too many contradictions,

Could've fool me with how much you right about it. :)

I, like you, have a list of apologies I shall make just before the train crashes into me. Just in case. They the gods (collectively) are forgiving as they are supposed to be, then it'll work just fine.

I don't believe in a higher power in any form. I do believe we evolved into what we are and we'll "devolve" and, in time, the whole process with start over.

I agree that religion has been used like the fear of the dark. You're afraid of what you can't see and we were brought up to be afraid of god (You do good, heaven, you do bad, hell) It's a fear of the unknown that drives it all and some people thrive on it; they need to feel loved.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly this.

Gra.

And folk need to stop confusing faith with religion - they are seldom the same - religions are the oldest patriarchal form of politics going ... :roll:

Leaving now, with my coat .... ;)

Gary Stockton said:
And folk need to stop confusing faith with religion - they are seldom the same - religions are the oldest patriarchal form of politics going ... :roll:

... and 'faith' is a chain of shoe shops..... :lol:

Agree Gary, faith and region are different. Unless it's religious faith that is. Or spiritualism. Unless it's religeous sp...

OK getting my coat too, right behind you.

Chris

Gary Stockton said:

But what is one without the other? You cannot have faith in a creator without having had some input from a religious organisation. My dog does not believe in a creator, no one has told him. If I shipped him off to Sunday school each Sunday, he would have a faith.

Nope. Religion is typically dogma. You can have faith without a structure ... And supposedly religious organisations and people sometimes have no faith, but a strict structure ...

And I'm stepping out of this one before it goes boom :lol:

Not gonna go boom.

I still can't see (Am I being doff?) how you can have faith without someone telling you first? Just following the crowds? Having a faith without understanding it or querying it?
Sorry, but I really don't understand that concept.

Back