Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Urgent! Torque setting on BEB bolts

IRLGW

In the middle of doing my BEBs, Have replaced 1 and 6 so far with nothing to report. However I tightened the bolts to 37Nm but it doesn't feel very tight- compared what was required to loosen them! Is this normal to feel so light or should I really feel like I'm pushing it???

They also need marking then doing a further 90 degrees. You really need to have read the procedure in the manual. It's very specific. Torque then turn.

C

Linkage005.jpg

There ya go

yes yes I read all the reports but I suppose i'm wondering if my torque wrench is working properly! I'm clicking on 37 with a 400mm torque wrench but I could probably tighten them more with just the standard ratchet? So even though I'm at 37nm, I could probably get a few more turns past the 90degrees? does this match with anyone elses experience? Also number 3 was in a bad way- pics to follow

Well not the easiest thing to answer really. To start with we have no way of knowing if you have set your wrench correctly - no offence, but it's like someone posting a thread called "can anyone hear that noise?' Know what I mean? But on what you have said, I would say it sounds a bit light. OK doing the 37 isn't exactly a gym workout, but the +90 is definitely tight. No, not what I would call dogged up tight, but 400mm wrench and a good 'Hmmph, that's tight'. Not eye ball, sphincter straining tight like a crankshaft pulley bolt, no. If you think that with a standard ratchet you could put a couple more tuns on, then that really doesn't sound right. And they're new stretch bolts yes? Sorry not read back on your posts.

Chris

37NM (or 27ft/lb if you prefer) isn't particularly tight in the overall scheme of things and is bugger all with a 400mm long wrench. It's the +90 deg that determines the final torque by stretching the bolts. Just because you could tighten them more with your ratchet doesn't mean it's incorrect. Comparing the force required to apply said torque setting to the force required to remove the old bolts is pointless. The old ones have been in there a long time and you have to 'break' them. If you're still doubting your torque wrench, get hold of a decent spring balance (the type used for fishing) and apply 27lb on the wrench, one foot from the socket centre.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok I double checked the torque wrench at different settings and was happy that it was working ok. Agreed that the 37nm is a bit light with a big wrench but that the 90dergee turn defintely takes up the slack! truck is going for a weeks 'caravaning' tomorrow morning so I really needed to get it right first time round. My truck is just shy of 200k so I was guesstimating that the bearings had been changed before-maybe so. However, the bearing at three was quite badly pitted and a little bit at 4 as well. I do not necessarily agree on the theory that the problems are corrosion related. Surely this truck did not go 20years/200k on a dodgy set of shims-so they must have been replaced with something (probably oem) so in that case toyota did not solve the problem with their new shims.

So the question is are all landcruisers vunerable or is this more related to the power curve/compression of the 12v engine. I just think there is more to it than corrosion due to european engine oils- but I could be wrong ( I was wrong once before......)

having a problem with the photos loading so will try again tomorrow. Thanks to all who replied.

Regards
Glen

Back