Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Veering to one side under braking

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
1994 with abs, think its ever since I did the rear brakes, when ever I press the brakes quite firmly now the trucks dives to the left, but dips to the right more so?

Ive changed the front dampers, the left one was like a coiled spring when I removed it and the right side was soggy as anything, but still no joy.

Today I bled the brakes, kept going till new fluid came through and all fine bubbles were gone, still the same.

I have the abs fuse out as its was a bugger in the snow and off road ect.

Starting to do my head in as im wanting to sell it and buy a manual.

Any more suggestions welcome, thanks.

Take the brake pads out and check that the pistons move freely. check wheel bearings and tyre pressures. If not any of those, then it may be down to other suspension bits.

Most likely a sticking caliper piston(s) if it only happens on braking.

As above, better still, have the calipers overhauled or renewed, there's often bargains available on e-blag.

Wouldn't do to try to sell it with dodgy brakes, would it?

Could also be play in the TR ends, wheel bearing or steering box or steering idler...obviously your tyre pressure is even to begin with.

Most likely a sticking caliper piston(s) if it only happens on braking.

As above, better still, have the calipers overhauled or renewed, there's often bargains available on e-blag.

Wouldn't do to try to sell it with dodgy brakes, would it?

Wouldn't sell it as it is atm, too many wee jobs to do that will effect the price.

Will look at the brakes more so when it stops bloody raining!

I've had similar problems and traced them to two issues.

1. sticky caliper pistons
2. alignment: we can only adjust toe onthe 80 series. Might be good to see what direction the wheels are pointed in

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im starting to think it is steering related. If I steer to the right slightly (correcting the veering) it is fine. Think it could be the steering box as its quite loose and the adjusting nut is seized :(

Doesn't really help but at least you know which way it's going to go, I have a Defender as well and that's just like opening a luck bag you just never know what you're going to get.

I have never seen it on an 80 but is it possible one of the front springs has a cracked or broken coil? Might not show until loaded by the action of the brakes and the weight transfer.

You say it only happened since you did the rear brakes, does it still veer right with hard application of the handbrake? Also when you bled the rear brakes is it possible air got into the front system on the left side, this would apply the brakes more to the right.

regards

Dave

just check your pads for even wear. If they are all similar then its more likely in the components. Check for static play in the system by rocking the wheel side to side while the truck is stationary. could either be one badly worn parts or a few partially worn parts.

Back