Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wales Byways

Garage
Hi guys,

I fancy trundling to Wales in the small hours of Sunday morning for a day offroad.

Can you recomend any routes that will last the best part of the day? I'm not especially after tricky terrain just nice scenery.
Any advice guys?

Anyone else fancy it too for that matter?

don't you mean a day on-road ;) Wales is a big place, which general area are you heading for?

I don't mind really. Whichever is a nicer part of the area!
I keep hearing about Strata Florida. I don't have to bother coming into work on Monday if I don't want too so I could stay overnight and come back Monday at some point. Don't mind driving fairly far.

Have been thinking about going to a pay and play site in Cheshire too. But I think I'd rather go to Wales.
I've done Slindon 4x4 now which was good but I want to go to somewhere new ideally want to splash through some muddy water and see some nice views rather than crawl through a forest getting bogged down every 100 meters.

Just wanted to use my cruiser abit before I sell it.
Looks like I'm probably going to be leaving the country so will be selling it shortly and I've had to cancel by Morroco trip because of it which is pretty annoying!

Strata is nice and there are a few other lanes nearby worth a drive. Are you using paper maps or digital for navigation along the lanes?

I was just going to be using paper maps.

Thinking about it I'll probably be going on my own as most people seem to be working this Sunday.
I'll probably just go down to Slindon 4x4 P&P site again and play there for a bit, I actually really enjoyed the last venture there. I even enjoyed the gentle drive down there. Hopefully it'll rain Saturday night which will add another level onto Slindon.

Let me speak to SWMBO, I might be able to show you round a few of the scenic N.E Wales lanes if I can book the time with her. I haven't washed the truck since last time out with Gav nearly a fortnight ago (there's a hosepipe ban here, what am I supposed to do?). It's been very wet round here recently so maybe I'll get a chance to wash it en route :p

Jim.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
DO NOT go to Hill&Ditch if that is where you were thinking of.

The sand gets everywhere and you will be still finding it 12 months on.

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:

Paul

Good call, I had to eventually replace ALL the bearings and seals on my old SJ's drivetrain after going there. Not before putting myself on the wall of fame, though ;) (first to complete the old black run without a winch :twisted: )

Paul_Humphreys said:

Paul
Jimbo4x4 said:
Paul_Humphreys said:

Paul

Good call, I had to eventually replace ALL the bearings and seals on my old SJ's drivetrain after going there. Not before putting myself on the wall of fame, though ;) (first to complete the old black run without a winch :twisted: )

Yeh that place is a right c**t to get off....
and killed my bearings too...

Not on the LC mind you but I am never taking that there..

Hi
A Good day is the Bomber run then Happy Vally then on to Strata.

That will keep you busy

Avoid mid day on Strata as it can get a little busy.

The rivers will be high as well so go careful.

Mal

Can't do this Sunday but I do need to get another trundle out before me hols on 15th Aug...

SilverLady said:
Hi
A Good day is the Bomber run then Happy Vally then on to Strata.

Mal, where is the Bomber? Gav and I did Happy Valley for the first time a fortnight ago, what a cracking lane! By far the best I've ever driven. Will have to get pic's up when I get round to doing a write-up.

Re Happy Valley, is there any sort of unofficial one-way system? Luckily we didn't encounter any other trucks but if we did we might have had a fair bit of trouble passing :?

Jim.

There's no one way on happy valley Jim although in the past there was a little rock section that meant most went east to west but it's been broken up. There are a few nice lanes not far from the south east end of Happy Valley. I need to get out more talking about lanes is no good when you're not out there having fun!

Jon Wildsmith said:
There's no one way on happy valley Jim although in the past there was a little rock section that meant most went east to west but it's been broken up. There are a few nice lanes not far from the south east end of Happy Valley. I need to get out more talking about lanes is no good when you're not out there having fun!

... you lead the way.....!

Jimbo4x4 said:
(first to complete the old black run without a winch :twisted: )

Maybe not!! I drove everything there before it became Hill & Ditch, when someone named Paul use to run it. It is where I put my Range Rover on its side!!

Paul

Tommo&Claire said:
... you lead the way.....!
I can only make the 31st July or 14th August this side of September :( If either of those dates are any good then lets make a plan :)

14th August is good, right in the middle of leave. Let's see if we can rally the troops.

Tommo&Claire said:
14th August is good, right in the middle of leave. Let's see if we can rally the troops.
ok, I'll plan for a bit of hard core (only kidding, maybe :lol:) laning on the 14th

Back