Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted: basic electricity lesson

fridayman

Garage
Can anyone point me at an online tutorial for electricity equations i.e.current=volt*amp type info. I want to understand exactly what my split charge system will be doing and what the practical meanings are of all the ratings on each bit.

The power equations should be all you need for calculations e.g. P=V*I (power in watts = voltage in volts * current in amps) which you can transpose into I=P/V (current in amps = power in watts / voltage in volts) and V=P/I (voltage in volts = power in watts / current in amps).

can't help you with a site for general electrickery information though.

Jon Wildsmith said:
The power equations should be all you need for calculations e.g. P=V*I (power in watts = voltage in volts * current in amps) which you can transpose into I=P/V (current in amps = power in watts / voltage in volts) and V=P/I (voltage in volts = power in watts / current in amps).

can't help you with a site for general electrickery information though.

Lesson 1 :)

Lesson 2:

A shunt (aka a current shunt resistor or an ammeter shunt) is a high precision resistor which can be used to measure the current flowing through a circuit. Using Ohm's Law we know that the voltage dropped across a resistor divided by the resistance of that resistor is equal to the current, therefore if we measure the voltage across a shunt resistor in a circuit, we can easily calculate the current.

Resistance = voltage / current

I didn't think you'd want that equation but to go with lesson 2: V=I*R (voltage in volts = current in amps * resistance in ohms) transposes into I=V/R (current in amps = voltage in volts / resistance in ohms) and R=V/I (resistance in ohms = voltage in volts / current in amps)

Jon Wildsmith said:
I didn't think you'd want that equation but to go with lesson 2: V=I*R (voltage in volts = current in amps * resistance in ohms) transposes into I=V/R (current in amps = voltage in volts / resistance in ohms) and R=V/I (resistance in ohms = voltage in volts / current in amps)

I have a Reya battery monitor that can monitor up to 4 battery banks - giving current draw, capacity and temperature for 2 of the banks. It only comes with one shunt though (to measure the current draw - see lesson 2 :D ), so I was reading up on what it is. Now I know I need another one.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back