Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted: Idler Pulley

Dan W

Garage
Hi I have a fzj80 and it needs a replacement drive belt idler pulley, (it's a small white wheel that has the fan belts resting against it). The current one is squeaking and I'm not sure you can get the bearing out to replace it, to be honest it could probably come off and be left off but I'd rather replace it.
So does anyone have a second hand one or have a part number so I could get a quote from Mr.T
Thanks
Dan

You should be able to get the part number from Toyodiy.

The bearing is not supposed to be replaceable - but it can be done.... Iirc there was a write up on Mud or here with bearing part numbers / how to...

HTH

Thanks for the reply, I think the pulley I'd in two halves and if you cut off the rivets you could possibly get to changing the bearing. The part number was on mud as well so I'll send Simon a email to see how much they are. The guys on mud say they're only $20 dollars in the usa, so fingers crossed they aren't too bad over here (yeah righto).

Just an update for anyone who might encounter this problem in the future, Toyota would like £70 for the idler pulley and second hand ones go for about £30. I'm going to have a go at just replacing the bearing and see if that works.

Just a final update on this, I fitted a new bearing into the pulley and replaced rivets with bolts (if you do this you need to trim the protective bearing covers a bit).
Got new bearing and bolts for £6.
Unfortunately once fitted the new belts make an awful noise on it (possibly because the new belts have teeth? I dunno).
So I've taken it off and filed the pulley under 'F' for F**k It.

Back