Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

War on Britain's Roads

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Wednesday 5th December there is a programme on BBC1, called War on Britain's Roads which says in the Radio Times

"Life on Britain's roads can now be seen from a whole new perspective - thanks to the cycle helmet camera. As thirty four million vehicles and thirteen million bikes all try to share the same crowded space, this footage gives us a dramatic and unique insight into the unfolding tension and conflict.
From everyday incidents that get out of hand between cyclists and motorists, to stories of near-death experiences and fatal collisions, this timely documentary shows the battle between two wheels and four has never been so intense.
The programme shows both sides of the story, retelling dramatic incidents from both the cyclist's and driver's point of view. It follows the police on bikes as they chase down errant road users and record more than three thousand offences every year from car and bike users alike. We even see a cyclist who is attempting to police the roads himself, handing out his own 'tickets' for anything from texting behind the wheel, to jumping a red light.
A mother who lost her cyclist daughter in a fatal collision with a cement mixer tells us the extraordinary story of what she did to change cycle safety on our roads, while a black cab driver's own loss changed his opinion about cyclists forever"

How many of us think we will be getting a completely unbiased view of the true story? :think:

I've been a cyclist a number of years ago in Bristol, whilst a student, and found a couple of things:
-Car based commuters have a single minded attitude of I want to get home!
-People don't understand that the no parking rules are there for a reason; I found that when the cycle lanes were empty (no one parking in them) I had no benefit at rush hour, when they were parked in I had a massive advantage...that sort of says something doesn't it?!
-People under estimate the speed of a cyclist
-People forget that there is a cycle lane on their left between them and the junction/bus stop (I've been cut up by both cars and buses; buses it was easy to shout at the drivers because you could press the emergency door button)
-The more lights you have the better!

As a driver I've found that:
-Casual cyclists are the worst (ie not recreational or sensible commuters); kids or those out for a potter around town
-Cyclists have got more aggressive in their road positioning (which is a good thing)
-New cyclists (ie those on single speed hipster courier type bikes) are idiots
-Cyclists who don't have any confidence are tools
-People don't allow enough room to pass cyclists, and rush to get past them (I pass them a bit like a horse; wide and not right up behind them before hand... they could hit a pot hole/white line and come down and you'd have no chance)

BUT yes, I don't believe that there will be an unbiased view; both sides will feel as if they've been hard done by!

Last edited:
Back