Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Warning light

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
i have a yellow warning light on, its next to the green 4wd light, could someone advise what it means please? At the same time the battery light is on and voltmeter showing just 22v.
After a period, the lights go off and rhe reading on the voltmeter goes back to normal
thanks ben

i have a yellow warning light on, its next to the green 4wd light, could someone advise what it means please? At the same time the battery light is on and voltmeter showing just 22v.
After a period, the lights go off and rhe reading on the voltmeter goes back to normal
thanks ben
Potentially this is a water separator warning requiring the large white plastic screw to be loosened to drain out water. Could anyone explain how to do this please?

Potentially this is a water separator warning requiring the large white plastic screw to be loosened to drain out water. Could anyone explain how to do this please?
Ok, so i found out this white plastic screw was the primer for the fuel pump. Tracing back i found the water separator under the car and opened the drain screw. A bit of debris came out and mainly fuel with perhaps some water too. Now the warning light goes off and all is ok.

Ok, so i found out this white plastic screw was the primer for the fuel pump. Tracing back i found the water separator under the car and opened the drain screw. A bit of debris came out and mainly fuel with perhaps some water too. Now the warning light goes off and all is ok.
And its back on!! I cant have drained it correctly. Does anyone have the procedure to do this please?
The is a drain plug at the bottom and one on top

Question.... I have a 1980 fj40 land cruiser and i want to change its manual power steering to a hydraulic one. What can i do.? Someone mentioned a convertible kit. Do you know where could i buy it? Please help!!!!

Question.... I have a 1980 fj40 land cruiser and i want to change its manual power steering to a hydraulic one. What can i do.? Someone mentioned a convertible kit. Do you know where could i buy it? Please help!!!!
Hello wssho, parts from a late model 40 series with power steering sometimes come up for auction. Or you may see if spector off road can help? Www.sor.com

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
image.jpg
Ok, so this is the warning light that i am battling with. So far i have drained the water separator / pre filter and while initially the light then went off, its now back on. The problem is, when it lights up, the battery light also comes on and the batterys slowly discharge over a period of days

View attachment 104244 Ok, so this is the warning light that i am battling with. So far i have drained the water separator / pre filter and while initially the light then went off, its now back on. The problem is, when it lights up, the battery light also comes on and the batterys slowly discharge over a period of days
So I then tried to unplug the separator but the light stays on even then. Does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions please?

image.jpeg
View attachment 104244 Ok, so this is the warning light that i am battling with. So far i have drained the water separator / pre filter and while initially the light then went off, its now back on. The problem is, when it lights up, the battery light also comes on and the batterys slowly discharge over a period of days

Then went on to check the alternator charge output which is only 24.8V so will need replacing too. Then checked the batteries which were holding 10.4V and 12.4V. So decided to replace these also.
Still waiting for the new relay to arrive. If all ok once fitted, the alternator will be sent off for a rebuild.

Relay and new batteries fitted. Battery light still on and wayer separator light too. But voltmeter now registering 25v of charge which is what it is delivering.
Cant get a new alternator so this one will need a rebuild

That sounds like a bad earth contact to me . Please locate them and check/correct as many as you can .There are a few go them . Good luck .

Thanks Portcruiser. The alternator rebuild has been completed and i will collect it next week. If i still have a problem then the earths will be the next thing to look at

Alternator rebuilt with a second hand stator and new brushes. Refitted to car and charge is now 29v.
All warning lights have gone off so all is well again.

Hi Ben ,

My names john I bought Andy's grey 60 and I have exactly the same issue, did you ever get to the bottom of the problem ,I understand you live in Birmingham as I live just outside Sutton Coldfield .

Hi John,
Do you have the water separator warning light on with the battery light too? I live in South Devon btw. Ate the batteries reading low? Chees ben

hi Ben,

Exactly the same water separator light and the battery light and yes it has caused problems with the batteries

Suggest sending the alternator away to robson & francis for a rebuild.
Beware of budget rebuilders who cocked mine up at the first rebuild which caused 2 brand new batteries to be killed and seversl weeks of heartache.
The water separator light is a red herring which then leads you to look at the charge light relay. The alternator is most likely to be the issue.
Does the alternator have an internal voltage regulator:

Back