Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

water pump

Dave E

Has anyone changed the water pump on 1KD FTV if so any tips would be helpful

Thanks Dave

Hello Dave. Yip I just done a change about this time last year. I had a slow water leak. Whats up with yours?

Yeah I had the same slow water leak and I left it for about 18 months up to the point where it nearly over heated on the M25 on the way to pick someone up from the airport. As I was a lazy git, I booked it in to Toyota as I needed to replace all the coolant too. I think it was a £400 bill in the end :wtf:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am going to strip the fan of the pump next week to see if it is leaking from the gasket or the impeller seal

Hello Dave. Exfoliation for the fingers.:angry-screaming: Things are a bit tight around that fan and radiator area.:think:

I was nt sure on mine where the leak was, apart from the pinky-orange trail nearer the base. It could well have come from almost anywhere and my hope :pray: was being based on it being the seal or the housing with the impellar. There is another housing that this bolts onto that also could be the source of the leak, but this part is partially obscured behind a backing type plate, which is behind the timing belt and it's pullys.( a ball ache to access and inspect, as you will come to see) I ordered both parts in as it were nt much more for both the housings. Secondly if I had everything out of the way anyway, I could do it there and then.

In my opinion and what I did......For the sake of just a little more time and convenience the effort was well worth it if you are doing it yourself. I drained the system. Removed radiator pipes, water bottle on the left. Then took the fan and fan cowling off together, so as not to damage the radiator. I went in with the view of inspecting and fixing at the same time. Pulled the old pump off, cleaned up and prepped to take the new pump and gasket. I then reversed the process putting things back.

Hope this sheds abit more light.

Thanks yeoman for the info did you have to take the common rail and cam cover off or did you manage without

thanks

Hello Dave, no need to go anywhere near the common rail. The cam belt cover I did take off, partially to inspect the cam belt for wear and also for a little bit more space. It also confirmed that there was part of the housing behind the cam pully and backing plate/cover. This was where the praying came in that I didnt have to take the pullys off I also removed the sensor above the water pump and slightly up and to the right of the idler pully.
Here is a link that may help. 3lt D4D Waterpump (and cambelt) Replacement Step by Step This was a post by Marnus from Pretoria.

link does nt seem to work, so a copy and paste will have to do....(first post on that search)

Many thanks for all the information it is great news that I do not have to remove the common rail cam cover belt etc as the work shop manual suggests it will save me time
and less hassle .

again thanks
Dave

You're welcome Dave. If you dont mind me asking, what age is you LC and app. mileage? Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, but the lc 120 has a timing belt change at 90k miles.

Hi Craig yes my lc120 is on a 2003 plate with 80056 miles on it and as for the cam belt it was done by the pervious owner at 65000 I did inspect the belt and it is fine but i will fit a cam kit later this year just for pease of mind .I fitted the new pump today and new auxiliary belt at the same time it was not to bad of a job bad language kept to a minimum.

Dave.

Back