Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

We got new jobs in Africa!!!

Gilmour Dickson

Well a very large and well known Southern African Safari company has been kind enough to offer Julia and I jobs. Now it is a short term contract - as the Zambian season is short due to the rains cutting off swathes of wilderness, so we only run until end of October, but hopefully the chance to repeat next year or maybe somewhere else... We will be relief managers (while others go on leave) running isolated Safari camps - yes, open cruisers, boats, lions and things as well as well heeled tourists (gulp). The pay is (compared to Ghana) rubbish, but you don't work there just for the loot...

The best thing is our 'office' location.... The unspoilt wilderness of Kafue National Park :cool:
We start next week :o

You lucky bar steward. You want an assistant to help you out with all that fun?

All the best with it mate ;)

Nice one, Gil :cool:
I suspect that you will find that the supplemental income from your well-heeled clients (i.e. tips) is fairly substantial and will not end up being that bad :mrgreen:

All the best with the job! It will be a blast!

Hey, congratulations!! Hope you have plenty of fun - pity about the work aspect! Kafue is beaut - enjoy :D

Very envious!! :mrgreen:

Don't mind the hippos!

zamb_kafue_main.jpg

Not to far from the bright lights of Lusaka. Try for South Liuwa next - awesome!!

:mrgreen: Very envious right now. Well done and enjoy. Keep us posted

Many thanks guys! Was really pleased to see that Lincomb was a success as always, photos and so on look great! Gary you are correct - Kafue is a really special place, we were back there a while back just after the end of the rains and the roads were gone! I have to say that Zambia is amazing in general - it has that slightly chaotic feel (a little bit like Ghana) but some of the better aspects of the southern neigbours - infrastructure, climate etc.
We are stuck in Windhoek and have been for DAYS thanks to the idiotic RAC and SA customs who managed to totally prolong and screw up a simple carnet extension. The guy at the RAC in particular was a beaut - forgot about our carnet despite phonecalls and emails x 10. Even despite being told that our new jobs depended on him... Arggh!
Luckily we have an understanding new boss. So Windhoek meant new U bolts fitting, getting a new brake line made up at the back - thanks to another Idiot in Rundu. Anyway hopefully DHL comes right this morning and we can set off for Lusaka and our training!
Just have to find a place on the road showing the Ghana match!
Cheers,
Gil

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lucky sods.... hehe

nah enjoy it.... well done..

It's great to be paid to do a job you actually enjoy doing, good luck mate. :cool:
Chas

Gary Stockton said:
Hey, congratulations!! Hope you have plenty of fun - pity about the work aspect! Kafue is beaut - enjoy :D

Very envious!! :mrgreen:

Don't mind the hippos!

zamb_kafue_main.jpg

Not to far from the bright lights of Lusaka. Try for South Liuwa next - awesome!!

Wish the view from my window was like that :cry:
Congrats Gil! Beats working in the city :cry:

Many many thanks guys!
well the carnet balls up came right just in time for us to reach... Thanks to these idiots we were spared the possibility to see Ghana cry as we had no tv or even radio on the road up. Induction training finished and tomorrow Kafue - expect me to bore or annoy you all with bush 'chat' 'cause we have great internet connection even in the wilds. :cool: Cameras and bear bangers ready... Mahnindra/LR game vehicles :oops: ready...
Cheers from a cold Lusaka,
G

gilmour - wonderful news! may i introduce myself: Fred and i'm new to the board. bit of a neighbour actually - we live in bulawayo, zimbabwe although we are currently working in the uk. we'll be home in august so we may pop up and visit! (if i can get my vehicle fixed). i spent some time working for photographic/hunting safaris in zim and i would definitely say they were some of the best days of my life - so enjoy!

Back