Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

We're doomed Capt Mainwaring, we're doomed!

What happens when the server crashes and the drone delivering your denture fixative takes it to the guy round the corner who's ordered hemaroid cream?

Well, one possibility is that he might start talking out of his arse? :icon-wink:

On a related note, don't call the suppository advice helpline - I couldn't believe how rude they were! :icon-rolleyes:

Shayne that was on the news recently and would say yes computer fault but would also say you can't blame the computer only the numpty that programmed it unless of course its SELF AWAR
When we had a new computer controlled lighting board installed at The Royal Opera House in 1977 we had to be trained to operate it, and I distinctly remember being told by the trainer that "Computers were high speed idiots, and were only as clever as the people who programmed them but did it a lot quicker" nothing since then has convinced me otherwise.

does not say much about me and the upgrades Chas :cry:

I didn't mean it to be insulting in any way Crispin, the way I think is said in my signature 'Progress is not always for the best, smoke signals never got an Indian out of bed at 3am

Yeah, basics still true @Chas . To break one thing at a time, it takes human effort. To break completely, everything instantly, you need computering

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On a related note, don't call the suppository advice helpline - I couldn't believe how rude they were! :icon-rolleyes:
Maybe I’m easily amused, but that’s the funniest thing I’ve read for a long time chadr, brilliant....:clap::clap:

What happens when we all get dementia? At least with dementia you can stagger down to your shop and they would know you there and sort you out. But computers!

Computers know when you've remembered to take your medication. They know if you are up and about today because they know you've used the kettle and switched on the TV. Computers can alert a carer you need some "discrete assistance" rather than you having to alert them across a room of your friends or colleagues in a care home. Computers can detect if you are unhappy, or unwell and assist you. I've worked on all of those systems in the last 10 years.

There are certainly arguments for having people to do all of those jobs. And I will be careful here because I know it's an emotive subject, but we are running out young people to fill those positions. Computers are part of the solution.

Just as a fire can keep you warm or burn your house down the outcomes we see from the use of technology are related to the motivation of those operating it.Most of the disastrous outcomes iv'e seen with IT come from lack of investment or senior management totally ignoring the instructions from those that they pay to take care of things. Iv'e said instructions deliberately because "advice" from experienced pros sometimes includes scenarios that mean that doing A WILL result in B no question .

There are certainly arguments for having people to do all of those jobs. And I will be careful here because I know it's an emotive subject, but we are running out young people to fill those positions. Computers are part of the solution
So we put kids in charge via computers with planning completely devoid of experienced wisdom . What could possibly go wrong .

I think you'd be surprised at how many old fogies there are in nearly all software development projects. IT is definitely not the preserve of kids, and a lot of what kids in IT do is encode knowledge and experience.

I'm thinking on the fishing catch app and i'm absolutely 100% sure not a fisherman alive wants anything to do with it , but we are forced by law to feed irrelevant numbers into a central computer so it can eventually come up with a factual algorithm to ruin us all .

I'm thinking on the fishing catch app and i'm absolutely 100% sure not a fisherman alive wants anything to do with it , but we are forced by law to feed irrelevant numbers into a central computer so it can eventually come up with a factual algorithm to ruin us all .

But that isn't the fault of kids or IT is it? That's someone, probably old, at the MMO deciding they want more paperwork to process.

I have loads of paperwork for the farm. For me being able to fill in my forms online, especially when lots of them remember my answers from last year which haven't changed, or zoom in on satellite images to see whch field I'm being asked about is a big improvement. The admin is a ball ache. Even some of my much older neighbours who'd never used a computer 5 years ago concede the IT is an improvement.

Computers know when you've remembered to take your medication. They know if you are up and about today because they know you've used the kettle and switched on the TV. Computers can alert a carer you need some "discrete assistance" rather than you having to alert them across a room of your friends or colleagues in a care home. Computers can detect if you are unhappy, or unwell and assist you. I've worked on all of those systems in the last 10 years.

There are certainly arguments for having people to do all of those jobs. And I will be careful here because I know it's an emotive subject, but we are running out young people to fill those positions. Computers are part of the solution.
bring it on. sooner the better.

Interesting video on fuel injection

Highlights a lot of what's been said how the first attempt(s) at changing anything from mechanical this-is-the-best-it'll-ever-be systems to electrical and the bumps faced along the way.

Most of the disastrous outcomes iv'e seen with IT come from lack of investment or senior management totally ignoring the instructions from those that they pay to take care of things. Iv'e said instructions deliberately because "advice" from experienced pros sometimes includes scenarios that mean that doing A WILL result in B no question .

You were in my meeting today then when I raised the issue of some of the software having last been updated in 2014.... to which it was replied "well, if it isn't broken why change it?"

Becuase it's so damn inefficient - I did a back of the envelope calculation and reckoned that through the sales process there were about 6 or 7 times that the same details may need to be entered... Newer, more integrated software will work better. I will get to the solution for it, it's just going to take some time...

Back