Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is the 4x4 system of this 2009 manual, no low range open center diff?

eehgil

Country Flag
norway
I am considering buying this 2009 lc120 Toyota Land Cruiser - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

How does the 4x4 system on this one work? On all other of similar years here in Norway the transfer box lever has H-N-L and there is a separate switch for locking the center differential.
On this one the transfer box lever seems to say H-Hl-N-Ll (High-High locked - Neutral - Low locked)? And there is a turnable switch right next to the steering column for the rear locker?
Does this one not have the option for low range with open center differential? If so, is this something that easily can be added? For example by cutting a wire and adding a switch?
Low range with open center differential is very useful for manouvering with a heavy trailer/caravan.

Thanks for replies.

I remember talking to TractionMan about this setup on his LC3 - as you say I dont think you can have low range without the locked center diff.

No, on the LC3 the centre diff is mechanical not electrical. The lever moves actual mechanical parts. There's no option for an open centre diff and low range. But without the rear diff lock engaged you will still have open diffs across each axle.

Thank you for answers. But on all other LC120 of similar years I can see here in Norway they have a separate switch for locking the center differential. Is there different type of transfer cases? Or is the electrical part built on the transfer case on the ones with electrical switch?

Sorry. I now understand that LC3 refers to a equipment level for the land cruiser 120. I thought it was refering to the generations of Land Cruiser.

But the questions still stands: Are the actuall transfercases different for the ones with a separate switch for locking the center differentials and the ones which lockes it with the lever? Can the ones that lock the center differential with a lever be modified so that it is possible to have low range with open center differential? Maybe parts from the ones with electrical locking center differential can be used for modification?

Thought I'd made that pretty clear. The LC3 is a completely different set up and in effect the same as its predecessor the Colorado (Prado) in that the CD is mechanically activated through linkages and connections to the end of the lever and solid mechanical components in the T box. The LC4 and LC5 get fancy ATRAK stuff and electronic controls.

The answer is no.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry that I am a bit slow. Thank you for clarifying it for me. English is not my native language, so maybe I misunderstand things and seem rude. That was not my intention.

Does the LC3 have the same Torsen center differential as the LC4/LC5?

Can a transfer box from a LC4/LC5 be used on a LC3? "bolt on"?

Don't worry about that, apologies are not necessary and your English is excellent.

Now, I really can't answer that new question on swapping T boxes. I do have to ask the obvious though given what you want and how hard and expensive it might be to achieve, why not just buy an LC4? I think that what you're are suggesting is one of those things that says to us that it's the wrong place to start out.

I had an LC3 and the torque of that motor was so good that even if reversing etc, I can't imagine you needing to be in low range. I do get what you mean - I have a Hilux and the low down torque is dreadful. I need to put it into low to reverse my trailers but it's a different set up and I can unlock the diff in low range to make turning easy. It works brilliantly. But you can't do that in the LC3.

Thank you.

I'm really just thinking and dreaming, and trying to find out the different versions available and how things work. Maybe it's possible to get a cheap LC4 transfer box from a wreck.

I only want manual gear (can't explain that either rationally), and there is very few manauls for sale in norway. And as far as I can see the ones with electrical switch for center diff does not have lockable rear diff.

As I want a manual it would save the clutch a lot to be able to use low range for manouvering.

On your Hilux you have made a extra switch on the ADD (automatic disconnecting differential) to be able do disconnect the front differential in low range? And then you have 2L? This is a smiliar "hack" that can be done to the Pajero i think.

Yes, that's it. ADD disconnect.

I won't be the only person that says this, but forget manual in a 120. Honestly, the auto is the far better machine. Simply because it's a superb box and changing gear in a 3.0l luxury 4x4 is like opting for wind up windows over electric ones. There's just no advantage whatsoever. Even off road. I've had both and wouldn't even consider buying another manual.

I'll second what Chris says about the torque of the 3 litre in particular, and this goes right back to the 70 series 3 litre which was my first Cruiser.

I drove car transporters for some 20 years until around 2008, carried most makes of cars and 4 x 4's, yes i'm a fan of Toyotas for several reasons going back many years, my respect for the product was only confirmed by the many loads i carried out of Burnaston (cars made there) and the Portbury import centre...if it ain't perfect it doesn't go, simple as that...for what its worth the dealerships were always a pleasure to deliver to, the same cannot be said for other makes.

Hilux/Landcruiser/Hiace you never had any trouble loading them whatever gearbox might be fitted, yes you can select low range but the vehicles don't usually need this because even at tickover revs the engines have no trouble with controlled ascents up the steepest of top decks.
Mitsi and LR products completely different, it's no secret LR insist on low range being used for transportation and trust me you need to, same with Mitsi or they'll stall out.

Last edited:
eehgill, almost everything you need to know about Toyota 4x4 transmissions.

My point to swapping the T boxes - mechanically there should not be a problem but I would be afraid about getting correct signals to CPU - e.g. the actuator for CD is switching off a VSC... I have the manual gearbox and I like it, it gives me control over RPM and thus I can drive in town on 5th gear with much lower l/100km than with Auto... But of course, it is quite a work to change gears... I am attaching a document about both T box systems...

Attachments

• VF4BM manual.pdf
    541 KB · Views: 60
Back