Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What should i monitor on pillar pod gauges.

hopeless wanderer

Country Flag
england
I'm going to be adding the below pillar pod to Brenda in a couple of months and wondered what are the things I should monitor. I've got EGT and boost already in the centre console part.
My initial thoughts are oil pressure and temp in one and water pressure and temp in the other. I haven't found a combined water temp pressure gauge but I guess I could use the same one as I use for oil and pop a sticker on the gauge.
Do I need to monitor so much or should I go for oil pressure/ Water temp and have the other as air fuel ratio for tuning purposes?

eBay item number:

Oil Pressure and temp. Both much more important in monitoring engine than water is

I'm about to put in a second oil pressure gauge into mine because the one in the dash does weird thing every so often and I don't trust it. Personally i'm not into having gauges for everything as its more to worry about (!) My theory is if Toyota thought it important enough to put into the dash, then its worth monitoring (just a shame that there gauges are a bit crappy), so basically engine temp, oil pressure, battery voltage and fuel level.

BTW your eBay link isn't working. Which gauges are you looking at out of interest?

DC4397BA-DE85-4008-A2CD-65C49606C063.jpeg
I'm about to put in a second oil pressure gauge into mine because the one in the dash does weird thing every so often and I don't trust it. Personally i'm not into having gauges for everything as its more to worry about (!) My theory is if Toyota thought it important enough to put into the dash, then its worth monitoring (just a shame that there gauges are a bit crappy), so basically engine temp, oil pressure, battery voltage and fuel level.

BTW your eBay link isn't working. Which gauges are you looking at out of interest?

Was looking at these Redarc ones but they’re a bit steep, might stick to the theme and go with a blue digital display same as the boost egt ones.
I keep an eye on the oil and temps but there’s no real change in those. I’ll have alarms on the pressure drop on water so hopefully it’ll allow me to stop before boiling the lump.

51271FD0-AC4F-4AE0-A71A-0BC122E5C416.png

Not the greatest picture but have 4 outlets for guages and a double USB port.

Mine are currently turbo guage, voltage
Oil pressure not connected, water not connected.

I will change to gearbox oil temp and a fuel gauge for the sub tank in the not connected ones for my needs.

BA801883-31A4-44B6-9DA4-A84B9E83D4B0.jpeg

I will change to gearbox oil temp and a fuel gauge for the sub tank in the not connected ones for my needs.

View attachment 148465

That pod is a great size and shape,
Where is it from ? If I’m using gauges with alarms then I guess i could keep them down there

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

View attachment 148465

I thought about a pod like that but it won’t fit a manual due to the throw of the gear lever.

I thought about a pod like that but it won’t fit a manual due to the throw of the gear lever.

Well that's just saved me a purchase, pillar pod it is then.
Oh and that reminds me, I have been hunting for a short throw kit so that changing gear isn't like stirring a big cauldron, cant find one anywhere :-(

my long term plan is to fit one of those red arc gauges in place of the heater vent to the left of the steering wheel.

I have the same piller pod that your looking at.

I'm going to be adding the below pillar pod to Brenda in a couple of months and wondered what are the things I should monitor. I've got EGT and boost already in the centre console part.
My initial thoughts are oil pressure and temp in one and water pressure and temp in the other. I haven't found a combined water temp pressure gauge but I guess I could use the same one as I use for oil and pop a sticker on the gauge.
Do I need to monitor so much or should I go for oil pressure/ Water temp and have the other as air fuel ratio for tuning purposes?

eBay item number:

I’ve got oil pressure (cos the dash one failed) and charge Volts as separate gauges.

I think water temp would have to be next, but without a turbo, I see no need for anything else.

Watch the road and the view instead... :lol:

my long term plan is to fit one of those red arc gauges in place of the heater vent to the left of the steering wheel.

Some of them look a bit plasticky but that one seems the best, was gonna go for the triple one but then remembered my agility left me a few years ago and I do use the grab handle.

I know how you feel.. i probably wouldnt get in without that handle.:icon-biggrin:

They look tidy enough. Field of vision wise its probably the best place for a gauge. Other than bolting them to the top of the dash! Or fitting a HUD..

Back