Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What size hex socket for front diff drain plug?

ignat

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
So its 10mm for the filler. Is the drain 12mm?

Just want to get the right sized one - not a set! (and why on earth are HEX SOCKETS needed?! :evil: )

I can't remember as I have a set :roll: but just in case you don't know the old tip (I'm sure you do) make sure you can get the fill plug out first, before you undo the drain plug.

They can be little tinkers to get out sometimes. Dead easy to fill with a garden sprayer with the spray head taken off. Just fill it till it comes out of the filler hole.

Chris

Your right with 10 & 12 I did mine thursday. 24mm socket for rear
Probably not the place but I was sorry to hear of your disaster chris , up and onward though hey

Cheers chaps.

12mm it is.

BTW i knew the filler size because thats the one i tackled first :thumbup:

Magnetic drain plug had a film of metallic paste on it maybe 2mm thick. Guessing thats normal on a vehicle this age / doubt oil has ever been changed. No large metal pieces though :)

The metal paste is normal especially if the oil has not been done before. If you have metal filings then there may be trouble ahead as these have to of come from somewhere.

Clean the mag plug re-fit and if you have any concerns then repeat the oil change and see what you have after a few miles.

Steve

Yeah, if it's paste, it's essentially just the newness wearing off.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
michael said:
Probably not the place but I was sorry to hear of your disaster chris , up and onward though hey

I must have missed something - and haven't found anything from searches.

Wot you Done then Chris :doh: :doh:

We need pictures :thumbup:

Bob.

Gav Peter said:
Here y'are Bob. Where have you been for the last week?

Ooooh very nasty. At least no-one was hurt and his house didn't burn down :thumbup:

(I tend to have a quick scout around the technical forums, I guess I'll have to spend more time here :whistle: ).

Bob.

Back