Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's your 80 worth?

Only joking Andy.

£8-9500 Clive?

I'm guessing Frank, that's what it should fetch on the market, but would you part with it for that?

I think not, unless I'm mistaken. There's more than £ signs invested in that beauty.

I doubt I shall ever sell it Clive. My brand new 2010 Golf lasted 3 years/20,000 miles and was then scrap!! I bought the Golf to last me out as my Audi had 240,000 miles on the clock and I was losing confidence in it!!

I doubt I shall ever sell it Clive. My brand new 2010 Golf lasted 3 years/20,000 miles and was then scrap!! I bought the Golf to last me out as my Audi had 240,000 miles on the clock and I was losing confidence in it!!

That's how we are Frank, I use the 80 as a DD but my wife won't drive it. Now after always having "good brands" of cars were going for a second car for the missus and I think it will be a Dacia (pronounced 'dacha' by the way) Sandero, barely more than €5,000 new, that can't be bad. It's an ideal city car and it's available in a 1.5 diesel.

My sis in law bought a 1.6 petrol Dacia Logan 10 years ago new for €8,000. Now it's not got high mileage admitted, but all it's needed other than brakes and oil are the next stage of consumables, a battery and exhaust.

Last edited:
Nice truck Mr Rabbets. All the comments made above about values I believe are spot on and valid, it's just I feel in blighty the trucks are undervalued, not that I'm selling mine, not just in monetary terms either. I rather feel that we the " enlightened" if you like, enjoy a privilege. On a lighter note, what if....... The Hokey Cokey really is what it's all about?

Plenty of Hokey Cokey been had in my 80, that's a fact! :icon-biggrin::lol:

I passed a 4x4 garage/preparers/dealers in France some years ago. I can't remember now whereabouts but it must have been South Brittany, perhaps a bit further south. On a main road. They had plenty of 80's but even a "scrap" one they were asking equivalent of £8000.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That maybe what you stated when you took out the policy but I bet they would only pay out what the market value says. :think:

No Chas, mine IS insured for an agreed price. So if its a write off I would get the £9500 less the £100 excess. But I know I could not build mine for less than £12-13K so it is underinsured as it stands. All insurance is meant to leave you the same after the claim as you were before. If it was a standard insurance then it would only pay out the market value, but it not insured like that. All extras listed.

No Chas, mine IS insured for an agreed price. So if its a write off I would get the £9500 less the £100 excess. But I know I could not build mine for less than £12-13K so it is underinsured as it stands. All insurance is meant to leave you the same after the claim as you were before. If it was a standard insurance then it would only pay out the market value, but it not insured like that. All extras listed.

Ah! that makes a difference you didn't mention it was an agreed value.

The thing is, the worth of something is measured in £ or €, $ or ¥ irrespective of the worth of it to the owner, or buyer. Since buying mine, I've seen UK models for sale that make mine look like junk for the same money, assuming the mechanical components comparable.

The specs are much higher in the UK but mine had full lockers which made it worthwhile for me. I don't know about France, but a UK guy selling 4x4 suspension upgrades in Romania told me he had traced (trough the registration authorities) less than 100 80 series LCs in Romania. I know of about 10 of these, but it makes it quite a rare truck in Romania. Hence none to be found in the breakers!

In the UK, they're scrapped because of relatively minor faults, which for me is quite sad.

Registration problems would make importing one here prohibitive, but I've been tempted to trailer a "scrap" good one here for spares. It's a big hassle, which is why I haven't done it yet, but I'm still considering it.

The point is, what it's worth to me, is not it's selling price on the open market.

All valid points in my opinion, ( re value ) I justify the amount of cash I spend on mine against how much I might spend on a euro box getaround, probably a lot less averaged out, provided I don't include fuel, and I hope that eventually the " rolling restoration" of the mechanical parts will get to a stage when it's "all done" however, how do you value the fun factor, the value of a real adventure truck, does the job of any defender, almost as comfortable as a r/r, tows like a steam train, has bags of what Andrew StPierre White calls the "thing" the unexplainable presence these vehicles posess, how do put a value on that? Well it seems that the people who post on this forum don't really mind what it's worth, but more important that they own one! Me too, I like owning one, with I hope a long time to continue owning one. Best regards to all, Bill Westley

Nicely concluded Bill, long may the "thing" be with you, and all the members here :dance:

I sorted a guy with a load of bits for his 80 that someone drove into and got damaged. He has a late amazon on a p plate I think.
Insurance offered him 5k and he said no way as you can't replace it for that. They then offered him 9.5k he accepted and bought it back. Fixing it for around £500. Quids in!

I sorted a guy with a load of bits for his 80 that someone drove into and got damaged. He has a late amazon on a p plate I think.
Insurance offered him 5k and he said no way as you can't replace it for that. They then offered him 9.5k he accepted and bought it back. Fixing it for around £500. Quids in!

Insurance pees me off, how on earth can they seriously up an offer from 5k to 9.5k without having to admit that the first offer was a rip-off!

Nice story Karl...:thumbup:

The problem is Clive. As far as the insurance goes here is that these trucks are getting to be worth far more than any book says. First time I have heard anything like that to be honest but at least it's nice to see that it does actually happen that someone doesn't just end up out of pocket.

I negotiated a write-off offer up by 50% years ago and after the agreement was made, I asked him why he didn't offer me the agreed figure in the first place.

He said we always go in low first, 90% of the time we get away with it.

Worse behavior than Chequered Flag if you ask me.

Rant over.

Got to thinking about my 80 on the way to work today.

Noticed my neighbours fancy near new Volvo SUV getting taken away on the back of RAC truck this morning.
The same stuck up neighbour who once asked if my cruiser was not better suited to a farm.:obscene-buttsway:

Probably tempting fate but it just struck me how little issues I’ve had with my old cruiser the last 3 years.
Sure, there are times working on it I feel like setting it on fire but for a car I use daily it is just has never give me any doubt I would make it were I am going – and back.

Fair to say I am anal about maintenance and spend a fair bit of time working on the ole wagon but they surely must be one of the best off roaders ever built. Amazing wagon.

Anyhow, to my neighbour, my old tractor is worth nothing. To me its worth a lot more than pounds and pence.

Got to thinking about my 80 on the way to work today.

Noticed my neighbours fancy near new Volvo SUV getting taken away on the back of RAC truck this morning.
The same stuck up neighbour who once asked if my cruiser was not better suited to a farm.:obscene-buttsway:

Probably tempting fate but it just struck me how little issues I’ve had with my old cruiser the last 3 years.
Sure, there are times working on it I feel like setting it on fire but for a car I use daily it is just has never give me any doubt I would make it were I am going – and back.

Fair to say I am anal about maintenance and spend a fair bit of time working on the ole wagon but they surely must be one of the best off roaders ever built. Amazing wagon.

Anyhow, to my neighbour, my old tractor is worth nothing. To me its worth a lot more than pounds and pence.

Well said, and your neighbour was right, but, only about one thing, also suited for towing the holiday trailer, transporting 8 people in comfort to the ski resorts, ploughing through snow in winter, and on and on.........and.........the best bit...... Repairable without a shed load of gadgetry!!!!!
I once had a Volvo 245, great car, I suppose the new ones are great, but, it's not an 80!!!!!
I may have mentioned before, Andrew St Pierre White often remarks that the Landcruiser is the ultimate overlander, who am I to comment on such a well informed man as he? Best regards to all, Bill Westley

Last edited:
My old truck is 19 this year and in the past 8 years of ownership it's let me down only twice.
It's my DD and passion, very little maintenance and I service it by the book.
It does all the things that Bill listed and some, and I find it a joy to drive.
She passed her two yearly state inspection (MOT) this week with 3 advisories,
1. The windows have some scratches;
2. The driver side headlamp glass has a small hole in the lense; and
3. One of the two rear number plate illumination bulbs is out.
Can't be bad after 19 years and 350,000km, eh?
Love it! Worth a fortune to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back