Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel Bearings

Tommo&Claire

Garage
Guys,

Some advice please.

As some of you will no doubt remember, I have e 2002 95 series with the 1KDFTV engine and a few mods, OME 2inch lift, sliders, snorkel, bash plates etc. It's mainly used for rough track work, nothing extreme and it never carries loads heavier than my tools and recovery gear, which never come out, and the family.

Problem is I keep going through wheel bearings on the front. I'm getting them from milners and they arrive in a toyota box and are koyo items exactly the same as those I originally took out so I'm assuming they're OEM kit. I always use new seals obviously with exception of the one that fits inboard of the hub (with the metal shield).

Now I'm pressing them in properly with a 30 tonne press etc and can't think of what I can be doing wrong but the last set have not lasted 500 miles and they're howling again,so, what am I doing wrong?

Obviously on uk tracks they get exposed to a lot of water but still, they're sealed bearings anyway?

Any ideas or detailed fitting instructions greatly appreciated...

Tommo

Hey Tommo, did you ever get that filler plug out of the front diff?

Just wondering if that might be connected. Hmm, probably not.

There must be something quite wrong and it's not going to be the bearings. Koyo are OEM and as long as they say made in Japan on them they should be fine.

I need to look at the parts diagram to see how it's put together.

I did mine last year and they have been OK. I don't do challenging off-road tracks though (just tow horses into fields).

I also have a 30 ton press, but I didn't need anything like the full weight to fit the bearings. The ABS ring remains free to rotate after the bearing has been installed - its pulled up tight by the driveshaft - you're not trying to compress it onto the hub shaft are you ??

It does seem strange that your bearings are failing after 500 miles - they are substantial pieces of kit.

I didn't take many pictures when I repaired the front suspension on mine and I don't have any that are useful to this discussion - do you have any pics of what you did to yours ???

Curious situation :?.

Bob.

Is it just on one side or both?

Sounds like they've been over tightened, but it's only a guess.

Set right, even with no grease, I'd expect to get more than 500 miles, that's next to nothing!

My 80s front bearings have a reasonably hard time offroad and are 8 years and 120k kms, and still silent and play-free, with no adjustment in that time.

Must be something radically amiss in the fitting I would think, no offence mind.... JMHO

Back