Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wheel nut

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Doh doh and double doh!
Changed front wheel today and snapped a bloody wheel stud! This is a first for Mr Puny here, so, whats the easiest way out of it? Garage or tyre shop do you reckon? If they have no spare ones, would it be OK to use one of the spare wheel studs as a get out? I have no stud extractors btw :( Off to UK in a week or so, so need wheels held on 'proper' like!
Cheers
Steve
:icon-rolleyes::icon-rolleyes::icon-rolleyes:

ps is it me or is the 'who is doing what maintenance today' thread gone walkabout?

Last edited:
Sorry, don't know 90s at all, but aren't these splined studs like most others? A sheered one should just knock out from the outside in, no?

Yup - disk rotor off and whack it out. New one in with a bit of loctite. Bulk it up with a lot of washers and wind it in with a wheel nut or a regular nut of the right size and thread spacing.

I think I wrote this up on the 120 thread, possibly ...

Thanks guys - I will go and have a search - ordered 4 from Milners, so will have a go when they arrive

Ta again

Steve

They arrived this morning so in the rain I went, tried like heck to get the top bolt out the caliper, not a chance :( I put plenty of releasing agent on the bolts to help. In the end I gave up and tried my local garage, but cos it was Saturday, he was closed :(
So, now I have to wait till Monday to see if he can get it done before Tuesday eve, as I am off to UK Wednesday! I hate not being in Control!
grrr snarl

Steve

Well at the risk of invoking the safety nazis, I wouldn't worry about driving a cruiser with only 5 studs.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can you not drill through the existing stud and put a long nut/bolt through it temporarily?

Only thing I can think of would be the wheel balancing would be out.

Pete

I am going to try my 'new' normal 'local' garage, (the one that is closer to me had a hissy fit when trying to fit my recent back box exhaust and chucked it across the workshop when I was there...) tomorrow and if he cant do it I will try another, and then Wednesday morn do the trip with or without from SW France to Gainsborough.......:pray: whistling that well know song from 'paint your wagon'!:whistle:

Steve

Away with the fairies?

:dance::dance:Woohoo
Normal garage guy can do me this afternoon! Happy now, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly

Steve

From my point of view, 5 studs are plenty, but 6 would give you peace of mind! I can't imagine it upsetting balance too much being close to the centre of the wheel. That much weight on the edge of the rim would be a problem, but so close to the centre? I doubt it.

Agreed but its a 2k round trip, so I would as you say have piece of mind ;)

Steve

Only just seen this one Steve. Would have sorted for you on Thursday for the return trip but glad to hear you have sorted it mate.

Back