Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wheels, tyres and suspension

Doh :( thinking about it, twas a daft idea - nothing to center the wheel studs too! Ebay me thinks is the best bet.....

If they sell the wheels its likely they sell the nuts too

Fraid not, they sell everything not just wheels - but found a set of 16 (ordered 2 sets) for total of 28€ from Germany - open ended, m12 x 1.5 that should be here Friday - they will be OK until I can get a red anodised set........oh no chav alert! I can use the old ones to get me home - the garage is only 10 mins away.......

When I bought Swampy she had the wheel nuts with the flat washer holding the steel wheels on and they worked just fine. Aesthetically though they looked odd and as though they were the wrong thing for the job, but when I read up on the subject all was fine and they were good for the job if a bit odd looking.

IMG_7674_zps9fcd841a.jpg

2857516005Large.jpg

They are not the nuts that you'd choose for the job, but they worked fine for the trucks previous owner and myself for a good few thousand miles :)

I believe they call this style of wheel nut a flat washer with shank. The washer is doing nowt to hold the steel wheel on as it was 15mm or more away from touching the wheel. It was the 60 degree tapper on the bottom of the wheel nut that was doing the work. Same as the tapper on the steel wheel wheel nut in Jon's photo :)

Last edited:
Thats exactly it guys! I was panicking (again) because the face of the washer was no where near the steel wheel face - but then, when you stop panicking, have a think its clear you dont need a washer with the steels, as its down to the taper that centres up the wheel to the stud and away you go - the set from the fatherland will be just fine and the origionals will be fine as well, but wont look the dogs (wheels) nuts....

You should have seen me when we had a chimney fire, that was a panic and a half! 40mins before dinner guests arrived! sit back and think...could have been worse, could have burnt the dinner!

cheers again for not taking the piss ;) I will get to grips with home mechanics one day!!!!

You should have seen me when we had a chimney fire, that was a panic and a half! 40mins before dinner guests arrived! sit back and think...could have been worse, could have burnt the dinner!

A bit off topic, but you started it Steve :whistle:

A few winters ago we had a power cut, no lights, no gas central heating. (I've bought a generator since!) It was -15 at the time so we lit a fire in the fireplace. About 5 hours after getting a good roarer going with wood, my missus complained of "some smoke in the bedroom". Well of course I said the chimney isn't drawing too well so there's bound to be some smoke up there... :think:
Think you should come and look, said she and I saw thick wood smoke billowing up between the floor-boards. It's a wooden house.
Jeez, I've never moved so fast in all my life. The fireplace backs on to the hall, so standing in the hall looking at the timber paneled wall, suddenly a hole appeared before my eyes, and the wood there is 25mm thick.
I grabbed a crowbar and tore off all the paneling. It was well on fire at the back and even 8"x8" beams were burning! I ripped out everything I could. I needed water. All the water in the house is pumped from a basement storage tank. The power was off (see intro).

There was 3 of us running in a human chain to the garden tap 100m from the house! By using plastic cola bottles, I managed to spray water upwards to the burning joists and succeeded in dousing the fire out. My heart was at about 160 bpm but we'd cracked it.

I stayed there for 2 hours spraying with the bottles till I was satisfied there was no embers left. I could only imagine if we'd left to go back to the city leaving the fire to burn out. We'd have come home to a pile of ashes the next weekend. We had no insurance because it was unavailable here at the time and the fire brigade would have been 2 hours from our place.

We now have insurance.

So Steve, fire panic I know, first hand. No shame in that mate, it's terrifying :icon-surprised:

Thread-jack over...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:( Collie not home yet, m.garagist says he has had lots of problems re rusted bolts......told him to soak it with stuff! Oh well, should be back tomorrow......

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

We'll just have to wait then won't we....

Vino Dl. Garagist! Hai de.

That'll get him moving, if he understands Romanian.:lol:

News news news......
LC is home :)
before:
20140326_083659.jpg
20140326_083710.jpg
after:
20140410_184207.jpg
20140410_184231.jpg
20140410_184243.jpg

before front drivers side : 87.5cm now: 94cm
rear drivers side : 88cm now 96cm
rear passenger : 87.5 now 96
front passenger : 88 now 96

Original wheels 7 x 16

new wheels 8 x 16 with -25mm off-set :)

why down drivers side? drove home with fat me in drivers seat perhaps?

ride is good, no rolling, but early days. Both front tyres catch the sill, :( so, out with the grinder if it still does it after my alignment tomorrow.

Very pleased with the result, but dont think I will be using mr local mechanique again......10 hrs labour charge........525€ all in! OUCH!!!!! had lots of problems, everything rusty, had to cut off rear suspension...I told him all this before hand! Oh well, DIY next time!

Last edited:
That's looking good Steve - it's a surprise how much better they look with the wheels pushed out to the edges and chunky tyres. :icon-cool:

P.S. I was never a fan of those 3-spoke alloys Toyota used on the facelift 90s.

That's looking well good

Looking good Steve. The -25 offset is why they're catching, moving the tyre outwards means it needs more space to swivel.

Worth the wait Steve and if you say it fast, and the money! :icon-cool: Factor 11/10 :lol:

Looks very smart :) Need more photos with less sun :) :)

Those wheel nuts worked OK then :)

I have the same tow bar on Swampy, but I've turned my one upside down so it's less of a plough :) I was already using it with a drop plate due to the lift, so it made no difference to me to turn it upside down to give better clearance when off roading with the drop plate and tow bar removed :)

IMG_8170_zps5d343e02.jpg

IMG_8086_zpsc545e9f1.jpg

Last edited:
Back