Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which Old Man Emu Coils for a 90 series D4D?

Ducktape

Hi Guys,

I'm going to upgrade the suspention on my '02 90 series D4D (1KD-FTV engine)...

Standard overland setup (roof rack, RTT, 70l additional water, drawers, 2 spare tyres, dual batt, Asfir under body plates and custom front- and rear ARB-type bumper (no winch yet and yes, I know about the law...)

Anyway, just want to find out which coils you have on your OME set-ups. I'm thinking medium all round and have heard about CV issues with the heavy duty coils...

So I'm thinking:
OME 881 front springs (+51 - 110kgs) and
OME 891 rear springs ( +150kg)

Many thanks in advance!

I have 881's on the front. No problems there.

On the back I have 890. Loaded up, they sagged badly so I put some airbags in. Unloaded they were quite harsh. So I wonder when you are unloaded the 891's might be even more so?

I would recommend 890's with airbags and forget about it. Airbags are cheap and easy to install. I dont have a front bullbar so cant comment there.

Thanks Kevin,

Did you also have to remove the rubber cone which is supposed to guide the coil into position? One of my mates have done the same and whenever he went over a large obsticle there would be load bang as the coil seats itself propperly back in place eve since he removed the top cone to fit the air helpers...

Hi

I removed them but don't remember if it was really necessary. Apparently you can squeeze the bag through the spring but I just took the whole spring off to make it easier. All this is 40+ degree heat, it wasn't fun. :)

Have not had any issues like you describe though :think: Maybe I need to tackle some bigger obstacles! :)

I started with 882 on front, but the lift was too high - i have a front winch and hidden TBR mount - but withthe 882 springs you really need more weight e.g. a full-on winch bumper.
so i changed to 881 springs and a member on here now has my barely used 882 springs

on back i got 891. these were fine last summer in pyrenees. but now i have added a roof-frame, and 60kg RTT, and more ASFIR skid plates the back end sagged back down 30-40mm on my recent laning tour round UK
so i have 892 on order for alps trip in June.
i will have to swap out the 891 springs back in after the trip when RTT and kit is removed.
since they 892 springs will be too harsh with the load removed.

891 are fine for everyday use with weight of sliders, skid plates, steel and wood bootstorage system and drawers, and recovery gear.

AndyCook said:
I started with 882 on front, but the lift was too high - i have a front winch and hidden TBR mount - but withthe 882 springs you really need more weight e.g. a full-on winch bumper.
so i changed to 881 springs and a member on here now has my barely used 882 springs

on back i got 891. these were fine last summer in pyrenees. but now i have added a roof-frame, and 60kg RTT, and more ASFIR skid plates the back end sagged back down 30-40mm on my recent laning tour round UK
so i have 892 on order for alps trip in June.
i will have to swap out the 891 springs back in after the trip when RTT and kit is removed.
since they 892 springs will be too harsh with the load removed.

891 are fine for everyday use with weight of sliders, skid plates, steel and wood bootstorage system and drawers, and recovery gear.

To solve the problem of having to swap springs depending on the load, can you not get some adjustable shocks that you can adjust depending on the load of the vehicle.

I have Rancho rs9000 shocks on my colorado which has 9 adjustments. When towing or load at the back I can adjust the shock which would stiffen the back and prevent it from sagging too much. Then when I have no load I can set it soft for a nice ride. Best of both worlds!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ronanjordan said:
How do you adjust the rancho shocks??
Big C spanner?

At the bottom of the shock there is a small nob that has 9 positions that you can turn with your hand. There was an option of the electronic motor attachment that fixes onto the nob and then you control them from inside the vehicle but was an expensive option.

Back