Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which suspension

Andrew Brierley

Country Flag
england
I've been advised to fit the heaviest duty suspension that I can, to cope with a fully (over???) loaded truck for overlanding. The guys at Devon have suggested 400kg or 600kg rear springs, but also commented that the 600kg springs might be uncomfortable when the truck is not fully loaded. Does anyone have any experience of these?

What are your loaded and unloaded weights? What is on now and how inadequate are they? I ran 868's on my old green 80 and they were perfect but it was permanently overloaded. You might find 864's and air bags a better compromise, or only fit 868's when you're getting ready to go on a trip?

What are your loaded and unloaded weights? What is on now and how inadequate are they? I ran 868's on my old green 80 and they were perfect but it was permanently overloaded. You might find 864's and air bags a better compromise, or only fit 868's when you're getting ready to go on a trip?
Hi John. Bloomin good question, and I wish that I had gone via a weighbridge before my last trip. The liquid weights are easy to calculate... Deisel 292lb (150L); water 143lb (70L). After that I'm guessing...
Roof tent 140lb?
Internat fittings 100lb?
Fridge 30lb?
Luggage/food 100lb?
bumper & winch 100lb?
Rear bumper/wheel carrier not yet fitted but pross 70lb?
2 people 360lb

I don't know the detail of the current suspension, but it was describes as 'Iron Man Expedition Spec' - which ain't particularly helpful. It dropped around 4/5" when fully loaded for the last trip

I'm not too fussed about unloaded performance, as this is primarily and overland truck (typically 4-week trips in N Africa) and UK 4x4 Response work in winter. I won't be using it for daily commute to work apart from once a week to keep it loose. DOes this help?

Tx

My best guess is you probably have an 868 truck / packing regime but 864's and bags would be more flexible and the bags seem pretty reliable, but not as reliable as a plain spring on its own I guess. You'll want shockers that are suited to the higher spring rate as well but I'm sure that will have been mentioned already.

Unless my memory is faulty (happens :shifty:) 868's are the +600kg rear springs, with the 864's being +400kg and 863's +300kg (OME part numbers). I'm assuming you've under estimated how much weight you're carrying and that 'Iron Man Expedition Spec' is probably equivalent to OME 863's.

I'm sure others will comment as well, lots of expedition 80's out there on OME's of one sort or another.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Jon, I've now found an info table for the OME springs with those ref numbers (but not quoting Kgs). I'll route around for some more info....

Andrew, your post is a little confusing with all the old fashioned " lbs "

I am sure to be cautious, you should ONLY quote Kg.

Hope you get the right springs.
When I first had my lift springs fitted, they were like riding on concrete tyres.
So they were swapped out for "one grade lower weight carry ability"
Now they are harder than originals, but not back breakingly jarring.

Gra.

Andrew, your post is a little confusing with all the old fashioned " lbs "

I am sure to be cautious, you should ONLY quote Kg.

Gra.
Sorry Gra... old habbits die hard... still also prefer feet and inches to the new fangled stuff....:lol:

Just for comparison, I have the medium weight range OME springs on my vehicle, the front to cope with winch and bumper, the rear to cope with a rack and tent with a replacement rear bumper, if I start hanging spare wheel carriers then I may need to upgrade the rear springs again, before I mounted the rear bumper the rear axle would occasionally skip off bumps but the ride was not jarring or uncomfortable and having driven a variety of modified vehicles it did not trouble me.

Also the cornering was better with less body roll due to stiffer springs on the front, This was initially of some concern to me because I feared it would negatively influence axle articulation off road but so far there has been no problem. Before the change to OME springs my passengers would frequently comment or become alarmed at the degree of body roll, much to my amusement as I was used to the vehicle and I am fairly spirited driver.

could be Paul, I may be remembering the ratings wrong but if Andrew has found the table of ratings he has a reliable source for those now :whistle:

could be Paul, I may be remembering the ratings wrong but if Andrew has found the table of ratings he has a reliable source for those now :whistle:
For 105 and 80 series
Rear Medium Load 2860
Rear Constant 200kg 2863
Rear Constant 400kg 2864
Rear Constant 600kg 2868
Front to 50kg 2851
Front 51kg to 110kg 2850

I use OME 864's (+400k) on the rear and air bags, and 850's on the front.

this is primarily an over landing truck & I have carried some seriously overloaded weight accross the desert in libya & egypt serveral times with this setup and it seems fine.

andy

What sort of pressures have you had to put in the bags Andy?

Jon,
When loaded was running about 25psi which seemed ok, I think you can go up to about 35

Jon,
When loaded was running about 25psi which seemed ok, I think you can go up to about 35
What about unloaded? 15-20 psi with your 864's should be about the same as 868's. Do you carry a spare bag and have you had any failures?

Back