Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which Torque?

Gr8Yota

Country Flag
scotland
I need to fit spacers to my 78. My handbook gives me two different torques, 208Nm for Steel wheels and 131Nm for Alloy. So which would you use to fit aluminium billet spacers?

Does the spacer manufacturers have any recommendations? Seems to me that the correct torque would be for a particular combination of what you're attaching and the bolts themselves.... Obviously you need to make sure the bolts don't get stretched.

Shayne, that was my thinking. I’m going onto alloys. Thanks

Karl, no the recommendation from the spacer manufacturer is to use the vehicle specified torque I think But I didn’t expect two!

What bolts are you using for the spacer, are they the normal alloy wheel bolts?

Good question this one isn't it !!!!! :)

The spacer comes with its own nuts for fitment to the hub then I have alloy tube type nuts for the wheels

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Steel wheels have a higher torque because the nuts are steel , I'd assume steel nuts came with your spacers so theres your answer .

As some of the questions have been alluded to - what wheels do you have ?
In the past when I've fitted alloy spacers for alloy wheels, I torque them the same as the wheel nuts, my reasoning was the wheel had a torque to hold it to the hub, so the spacers would be the same. Spacers bolted to hub then wheel bolted to spacers, same torque ??

The nuts for the alloy wheels are also steel. The difference in torque settings between alloy and steel is probably more to do with the wheel thickness and length/shape of the nuts and seats.

Split the difference with 170Nm , fit and forget tighter than your wheels and its likely 20 years before you need worry about snapping a wheel stud .

Sorry not alloy nuts but nuts for alloys… my typo.

Here are some pics. I have asked Supreme Suspensions who make the spacers for their input.

9A7639B9-2131-4664-9FFD-F8300629A060.jpeg

Spacers are USA made from Supreme Suspensions, billet aluminium with studs and nuts supplied.
D5D11AC9-83FC-4A09-B3D2-E27F6FDD9D73.jpeg

Wheels are Mil spec Hutchinson two piece forged aluminium.
99D694E2-F451-4E5B-9599-B88285C1A57D.jpeg

Nuts are USA sourced 100 Series tube type steel.
9DBD50AA-B15B-4744-80CC-574E356338F4.jpeg

My initial though was that they should be the same as the wheels. I had spacers on my 70 for 150,000 miles or more torqued to 112Nm if I recall correctly and never ever had an issue.

They won’t quite be fit and forget as with drums the rears will need to be removed to service the brakes.

My vote would be for 131Nm all round on that - but please let us know what the manufacturers say.....

Thanks. That is where I am too but will wait for a response from Supreme.

Got it with nuts, thought it was odd being alloy nuts that's why I question marked it. thanks.
TP was right.
Good hub centric spacers, takes some load off studs.

TBH my vote would be to dump the spacers entirely, and buy wheels with the appropriate offset, but I guess as you've already bought both wheels and spacers, then that's not really too helpful LOL! :)

Back