Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which tyre

pugwash

Country Flag
uk
Hi Peeps

Love my new 100 and it needs tyres
:)

Looking at Mud terrains- will be 60% road 40% off road (mainly because i hardly drive it anywhere on the road....)- possibly in a 35" tyre, but maybe just in a 33"/

So which would you choose between:

Cooper STT Pro

BFG KM3 MT

Maxxis Mt764

Grabber X3

Geolander G003

Ideally it would be relatively quiet on road, great in mud, rought sidewalls, great wear pattern

Cost is a factor- i would normally go with the BFG KM3s, but they are VERY expensive compared to everything else. Also the really recent patters like the geolander also look great!

Toyo open country were a bargain last time i looked but very heavy .

Toyo open country 33 x 12.5 on a 15 rim on my 70 and at 125 per corner really good tyre. And a true 33" on 10" wide rims

Had cooper's on my 81 wore out very quickly so will never buy them again.

I used to love BFG then Grabber was #1 for years....then Cooper STT 35s which I love became top-o-the-line. Bought them five years ago,
not sure which are the best ones now.
Tires going up in price so probably a good time to buy now.
I can get BFG 35s 15" for £240 and Cooper for £280 larger rims price goes up fast.
In Sweden

Been running Cooper STT Pros on our 80 series (285/75/16s - so essentially 33s) for a few years now - pretty good on road, even in the wet, and typical MT off road. They drone a bit at speed, but no worse than any other MT.

They do seem softer compound than BFGs, so Iwan's wear comment may be correct - but they were way cheaper than BFGs at the time and as the truck only does around 5-6,000 miles a year, the wear rate hasn't really been an issue for us.

As an aside, I've got Geolander GO15 ATs on the Hilux and the Sprinter, they're okay but not very aggressive - main point for this discussion is that the carcasses seem pretty light to me, much lighter than the Coopers or BFGs - not sure if the G003 has a better structure? Be worth checking I think, if you're planning serious off roading.

In fairness I'm a bit of a Geolander fan ( although I've been a BFG fan for 25 years) this might be a watch.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The Falken Wildpeak M/T is well priced, seems to get good reviews and is on my list.

Had lots of the main options over the years, a lot were OK at best!
Coopers proved very good, but for me, BFG all the way!

Some of our friends did the NordKap run last year on Falken Wildpeak on L200s and a LC120. Came back to strongly recommend the tyre.

I've been running 35inch stt pro on the 80 and have found them to be a good tyre, better then the BFG KM's they replaced.
Heavier then the BFG though, I fitted them so could feel the difference! Balanced up well.

Excellent off road performance on Rock wet or dry, great in mud but float a bit in sloppy/grassy stuff unless drop the pressure.

On road they grip well even in the wet, the BFG would understeer where the stt just digs in. A little noisy but they're MT's.

Snow/ice is OK but not the best imo, my rwd beemer on winter tyres grips better!!
They are 35x12.50 though so float on snow a bit more

Wear rate has been ok and have plenty of battle scars but stood up well to it. I like to drive on rocky lanes.

I won't be fitting them to the hilux but going to AT/hybrid tyre on that.
If I wanted MT's I'd fit them again though

Back