Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Well I have just returned from picking up all the fitting and pipe for the diff breathers and transfer case to then start fitting everything and notice the front diff breather extends all the way to the top of the engine bay already on my 100 and the transfercase breather travels all the way along the top of the bell housing to the ATF dip stick which breathes at the top of the engine bay already.

So the only one that needs extending on my 100 is the rear which is great news as its the easiest to get to. It also means i get to return all the bits and bobs i picked up from the store and save some cash to spend on other mods. :thumbup:

note to self always eye up the job first on the car before yuo go ahead and purchase the bits required as you may already be half way there. :doh:

If you're not fitting a snorkel then you don't really need to extend any of the breathers, just make sure the flapper valves are working correctly. If you'll be going to snorkel depths then they all need extending. IIRC the front and rear diff breathers are at about the same height.

finally managed to finish my reversing camera off and wired my CB in properly, all in cab switches are now wired just need to run the wires out to the solenoids

Raised the gearbox back in place, regreased fornt prop and then decided to rotate the tyres and found that I have a lot of play in one of my front bearings. I thought I could relax tomorrow by wiring in a power socket for my CB an doing a general clean of the Mongolian dust :roll:

Filled all of my cavities with Dinotrol. Even did the insides of the chassis rails. Slapped some Kurust on the outside, now I have a gleaming black underside.

Washed and leathered the outside too. Looks nice except for the damage.

Chris

got my rear drawers chucked in yesterday, colleague of mine has been building them up over the last week.
theyre looking lovely :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We'd like to see those Mate. I'm looking for inspiration to get started on mine.

Chris

Chris said:
We'd like to see those Mate. I'm looking for inspiration to get started on mine.

Chris

will do, i'll add them to one of the storage threads :)

Nipped up the front bearings, glad i noticed they were loose as on one side the only thing stooping the lock nuts coming undone was the lock tab washer :shock:

Hopefully that is all the mechanicals sorted for now...

Fitted new handbrake cable & shoes to try to get the handbrake a bit better before the MOT later in the week, still seems a bit 'spongy' though even after bedding in the shoes & readjusting, I will have to wait & see!

one of the cable retaining bracket bolts broke off, (The one on the fuel tank bracket) but I was quite pleased about that really as it gave me a chance to try out my new rivnut tool!!!!!!..............worked brilliantly :thumbup:

Changed Engine, Transfer box and ATF fluid as well as extended front and rear diffs into the top of the engine bay. A good days work but great to get out under the car and have a tinker.

Tomorrow I plan on hard wiring in the gps so no need for a cig charger and speaker.

Changed Gearbox,front & rear diff oils, drilled out front axle breather & extended breather pipe.

Dave Docwra said:
Changed Gearbox,front & rear diff oils,

Must be oil change day I have done the same as you but also done engine oil and filter, and to finish off the transfer case aswell

By god are them filler plugs blooming tight :evil: , had to abuse the rear diff level plug out then weld a nut on ready for next time, does anybody know a supplier for them or is the Yota dealer

They are a standard thread I believe. Any plug that matches will do, I'd guess and as they're the filler, they aren't exactly critical. I welded nuts onto mine as well. Socket kept slipping off. I'd do an e-bay trawl and see if Ford, LR etc match but are 1000% cheaper than a T one.

Chris

warrenpfo said:
Drilled??? Mine just slipped off?

Before draining I removed the filler plug first & found that the axle was presssurised, I had already removed the breather valve from the pipe end for cleaning before this, I removed the elbow from the axle & decided the hole through the thread was too small & blocked with heavy oil, so I drilled it out, I then fitted an extended hose & went for a drive, Removed filler cap on return and it had no pressure build up this time.

not much in the way of LC but did fit and connect a 1.3KW solar system to my house today. Works well, even with cloud. Happy chappie. :dance: :dance:

Finally got my rear spare wheel carrier fitted. Few tweaks to be done here and there and then all done.

Back