Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Well you learn something new every day. Thanks for putting me straight.

It wasn't my intention to put you straight you know. Just pointing out how it is put together that's all. We were going down a path that wasn't leading anywhere based on how it's designed or works.

You know that the end of the CV is splined and sits in the drive flange bolted to the hub? Well even if you took the axle out completely the CV still couldn't drop. It barely touches the bronze section you know. it only bumps on it. The whole outer end is actually held in place by the drive flange. On the later 80's they lengthened the drive flange splines to give better contact for drive reliability. This of course meant that the CV stub was held even more firmly in place. It's a pretty snug fit too. Now if you have worn splines or cheap CV or the spines have been eroded by corrosion, it can flop around a little bit, but inly a very very small amount. If you see a hub built up off the vehicle it makes more sense. Just imagine gripping the outer end of the CV shaft in your hand and hold it out horizontally in front of you - that's how the CV is mounted in the outer flange. It doesn't rely on the inner shaft to hold it up.

Yes, I do understand. My thoughts were not when the axle is straight but when on the turn where small movement back and forth would be lateral movement at the seal. I wrongly described it as droop, which of course it wouldn't. My bad. Point taken.

Any tips for removing the brass coolant drain nut on the 1kz-te engine . Took me half hour to find it another half hour to get a spanner on it , but by christ its tight i'm inclined to let the engine cool guessing brass expands more than the casing when heated ?

Is that the drain cock in the block near the oil filter Shayne. I seem to recall it took me a couple of years to find that. Right little tw@t it was but I got undone. Not sure why I bothered now. Don't think it's really necessary.

Thanks Chris i got it , moved with an awful crack after i had filled up with cold water and all it allowed was a very weak trickle to flow out , have to agree i'm not sure it was worth the aggro .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The king pins must be centered exactly in line with the cvj ball plane otherwise the inner shaft would move in and out when the hub turns on steering. I wonder if cheapo cvj's are made accurately enough?

Got the truck back last week following the bonnet respray - very pleased and truck doesn't look so sorry for itself either.

So, decided to give it some more TLC, mainly to the rear end this time. Wire brushed the rear bits that were starting to show quite a bit of surface rust - tow bar, LPG tank etc and gave them a couple of coats of paint along with the 2 engine undertray/shield thingys.

That's all gravy as the real work I need to get a move on with is to rust proof the underside, especially the rear axle and suspension mounts etc. which are looking worse for wear. :whistle:

Pulled the long side drive shaft on the green one tonight. Only took me 20 mins. Very good news even after considerable mileage since anyone was last in there. The grease was still grease and the oil was where it should be. The seal face on the shaft was very good indeed and certainly doesn't need repairing. A quick smooth around and some fresh grease, new seal, re pack the bearings and it will all go back together very quickly. I can then drop the wash out oil once it's had a really good run and fill it up again. Again the bearing pre loads etc were all still spot on. The grease was still actually blue and clean and the 54 mm nuts still tight. The CV was still packed full and the rest was lathered, very smoothly, around the walls of the swivel housing. Bit messy to change the seal but I am not doing this and leaving the old one in.

Dropped the engine oil. Changed filter. Rebuilt near side axle and hub, dropped ATF, changed front axle oil again, changed front diff oil on quad bike and rear diff, topped up engine oil, couldn't find gearbox filler (?) and fitted stainless braided brake hoses to the other 80. Didn't get time to change Lupo engine oil or swap the rear discs on the Corolla. But I don't think I did bad.

And now I am mostly having a beer!

Played with greasy nipples today with the missus...

Well, it was sorting the (very dry) ball joints on the 4Runner as I didn't have the M6 screw in nipples for them, so they're now full of grease again, as well as changing the oil in preparation for going away for a week.

blimey, busy people! I just checked tyre air pressure and oil level........another week of maintenance done!

Yesterday i managed to wrap the t-shirt i was wearing around my grinder blade and attempted to pick myself up off the floor by leaning on the thing i had just welded :doh:but it was a good day of progress for my trailer . Torrential rain and blowing a gale today :icon-rolleyes:

Yesterday i managed to wrap the t-shirt i was wearing around my grinder blade and attempted to pick myself up off the floor by leaning on the thing i had just welded :doh:but it was a good day of progress for my trailer . Torrential rain and blowing a gale today :icon-rolleyes:
Watch that angle grinder they take no prisoners!!!

Sods law Shaun i always tuck my top in but i wasn't wearing a shirt so just threw it on because the angle of the cut and with no guard on the blade the sparks were coming at me a bit hotter than usual . T-shirt actually jammed it before i lost some belly fat so lucky me huh . How are you getting on with your hand after your grinder mishap ?

They are just bad news sometimes but save a lot of time.looks like another operation in August got to see someone else now :angry-fire:.did you manage to get your trailer sorted ?

They are just bad news sometimes but save a lot of time.looks like another operation in August got to see someone else now :angry-fire:.did you manage to get your trailer sorted ?

Good luck with it mate someone else is who you need and the right man is out there somewhere so don't let the wrong man convince you amputation is the best way forward :eusa-snooty: Don't even ask about the trailer i ditched all my plans and replaced them with 3 easy steps ..... now i'm actually thinking about buying a disposable gazebo because i can't paint or stick weld in this rain :angry-banghead:

..... now i'm actually thinking about buying a disposable gazebo because i can't paint or stick weld in this rain :angry-banghead:
I've seen your work area Shayne, I reckon you could rig a tarp across it probably cheaper than buying a gazebo.

Hi Shayne have you had a look at the pop up garages,I bought one a few years ago to do valets in only about £150 from eBay it was up through the snow and wind,I managed to get a transit van into it and work on it so there a good size.

the bloke who's looking at my finger thinks he can save it hopefully so fingers crossed :doh:

Fingers crossed :lol: fair play to you mate for keeping your chin up :thumbup:

I was set to build a garage but then i filled the space up with trucks and trailers :icon-rolleyes: 1 truck and 3 trailers out there right now :doh:made progress today though and body swap happens tomorrow so touch wood i need 1 more dry day and i'm ready to roll ........... i hope :pray:

Back