Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

All 4 brake calipers are coming off today so what do you guys use to plug the lines and prevent the system running dry ?

All 4 brake calipers are coming off today so what do you guys use to plug the lines and prevent the system running dry ?

When I worked on cars years ago I made up some blanked-off plastic pipe lengths, just the right size for a tight fit on the brake pipe or hose.

TBH, it's best to leave them drain IMO and replace the fluid, but its a bit messy.

It depends to an extent on how long you intend having the calipers disconnected.

What I don't recommend (but many get away with it) is mole grips on the flexi-pipes. They damage the rubber liners and you don't see the damage till they rupture.

Again, JMO.

How about brake line clamps, like the orange things in my post a few back about the rear axle. These aren't mole grips but they do the job well and don't seem to damage the rubber hoses.

How about brake line clamps, like the orange things in my post a few back about the rear axle. These aren't mole grips but they do the job well and don't seem to damage the rubber hoses.

If they're purpose built, maybe they're OK Rich.

I messed up new flexies years ago with mole grips, but I might have been heavy handed and I guess brake pipes may be made of better stuff these days.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Purpose made and simple. Rounded jaws to clamp without cutting.

The boats engine is kaput so i won't get at it today in any case :violin:

It's just crossed my mind to get some stainless hoses while i'm at it so i guess and can just fold and cable tie the ends . Thanks for suggestions though :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Depending how long they're coming off for, press the brake pedal down and 'lock' in place. A bar or length of wood between pedal and seat Base works. Open the bleed screws to release the pressure, close bleed screws. Remove calipers, hoses, pipes, whatever apart from the master cylinder, Won't lose the fluid then.
It's what I do at work if need to take a pipe off or abs unit etc.

Does it matter if i let it run dry ?

i'm having all the calipers rebuilt and will be changing all the fluid anyway .

Does it matter if i let it run dry ?

i'm having all the calipers rebuilt and will be changing all the fluid anyway .

No. But you'll need to bleed the master cylinder. On my 120 I had to pop the outlet pipe off the M/C and push fluid through that. With ATAC you have to use Techstream to do some pulsing. I don't think the 90 has those sort of complications?

Thanks Rob i'm racing the rain and i just know i will but the abs sensor if i try to undo it and fold the pipe .

Thanks Rob i'm racing the rain and i just know i will but the abs sensor if i try to undo it and fold the pipe .

Just come back from Cowbridge and the mist was just turning into rain. You don't have long!

Calipers 001.JPG

Looking more than a bit tired but all boxed ready to ship to Big Red Ltd for a rebuild .

I figured when its £100 for a rebuild kit and £200 to have them shot blasted , coated and rebuilt and with time saved it makes more sense to send them away . Especially as i just bit the bullet on 335 quids worth of pads , discs , pins and hose :crying-blue:

A solid investment though :icon-wink:

Racing the what, Shayne, rain?

Memories.... :violin:

28C today, but don't worry, bu the time you guys get here, it'll be raining again...:whistle:

The caliper rebuild will be nice anyway, when it's all back together... :thumbup:

In two minds whether or not to make my handbrake dog bone longer with a blob of weld .

Until quite recently the handbrake worked well so i'm thinking new shoes and leave the rest alone .

Is there any advantage of longer bones over only very mildly worn standard mr T ?

handbrake dog 001.JPG

handbrake dog 002.JPG

Changed out front propshaft rear uj. Amazingly, local factors had one, a GMB, will be interesting to see how it fairs.

So today I changed out the alternator on the bmw, absolute piece of piss thanks to you tube. It's been sat outside for two months and I've been using the 80 as my dd, it can now go back to weekend supermarket duties. As I was feeling all alternatory I had a go at adjusting the alternator belt on the 80 too, it's been squealing for the first few minutes for the last 6 months and probably p ing off the neighbours at half four in the morning. All done and silent. Woo woo!

Dropped the oil on the silver one ready for Summer hols next month. Bit early but didn't want to do the trip on old oil really.

Changed the oil and filters this morning. I've had a productive weekend :)

Back