Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Been a workshop day today.
All drivetrain fluids changed, happy no creamy oil/water mix after the start of this year.

Flushed both auto trans coolers before re filling the box.
Flushed the rear heater, rad and engine then re filled with Toyota coolant (20 litre barrel for £20 :icon-biggrin:)

Replaced a weeping rear axle seal and fitted some new anti roll bar bushes.
Changed the brake fluid and power steering oil, most importantly fitted some new wiper blades so I can actually see when it rains lol.

Stripped and cleaned the brakes too.

35's going back on next weekend

20160820_091302.jpg
20160820_100656.jpg
20160820_091023.jpg

I lifted the bonnet, checked the oil level, yep still on the mark.
Checked the belts, all there and tight enough.
Topped up the washer bottle with 4 lt of pre-mix summer screen wash. Thought about Rich's comments on his "always empty" rad expansion tank. Mine was half full as usual. I did a very rare thing, opened the rad cap and as expected, the level was half way up the tank. Don't know why, but I topped it up (about a litre) to brim before starting the 300 odd km journey back home from our beach hols.
It was a hot journey especially with no AC and 37C in the shade. 100-120kph all the way, no stops, no bother.

Love it!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well it's time to pull the front diff I'm afraid. I have had transmission issues since Morocco and despite changing the gearbox and the T box more than once, they continued to plague me around the Baltic. Between 55 to 70 it's very noisy and on the overrun in or out of gear there is a mechanical rumble / clangle sort of noise. My only option now is the diff. Now it does not whine at all so I figure the ring and pinion are good. The noise sounds like a drive shaft being able to wobble if you like when not under load. With the window down you can't hear it. It's being transmitted through the cabin somehow. I have dropped the oil more times than I care to remember and never had any filings but the oil has been utterly trashed.

Dropped the oil this morning and it wasn't bad but it's only done 4500 miles. However, look at the plug. Something is wearing in there.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 10.54.35.jpg

However, it's raining now so work has stopped, but the really good news is that the hubs, discs and other parts are in great condition and still all set just as they were before my trips. Everything spun silently with no play and even the grease in the knuckle is still in place with not a drop of oil from the axle tube.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 10.54.43.jpg

I'll throw a little more in there on rebuild but other than that I'm not wasting grease.

The OEM cv is in top condition too with nice resistance in the Birfield. You can hold the stub and the halfshaft doesn't drop. All the grease still in there but given that this is a metal to metal part, I may wash that all out and fully repack it. Shouldn't need it after only 15k miles but they're insane money and for a fiver of grease and half an hour it's good medicine.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 10.54.54.jpg

You can just see the Speedisleeve on there. So we'll see what the other side pulls like and then the diff. My money is on a bearing.

This is a factory diff from memory pulled from an auto 80 I had. Not sure it ever had the JW treatment. Everything should be standard in there so if it's a carrier bearing I might get away without having to mess too much. I think I will reset the crush sleeve though as that has been tightened in the past to try and cure the noise when in Morocco. I don't think that was necessary. Then again it might be a mess in there and need a full rebuild. I see that Milner do a full kit including ring and pinion which shouldn't be necessary.

If it is the diff after all of this then I may have to go and cry in a corner. So of you know just how much has gone into trying to fix this. Never thought it to be the diff and it was perfect before all the other mods. I do have the old manual diffs somewhere so they could always go back in but I'd prefer to stick with the re gear from the auto. I also have a spare front auto diff but it's noisy as hell due to pitting on the ring gear.

5 litre gear oil shop was shut and with Thursday's trip seeming long away i spent a pleasant day messing about in the sun with things of no importance whatsoever , even painted the manifold heat shield and put some hammerite underbody seal on the sump guard to test
heat sheild 001.JPG

6pm and happy i have enough bits and bob's left to do to make tomorrow feel like a productive day and with a day to spare for the unforeseen i put my tools away .

That's when she informed me that she has paid for my truck to go in for a full valet and they will need it all day Wednesday :icon-eek:

Went back out to drain the diffs and would you believe the rear filler plug has fell out with me :icon-rolleyes:

Started fitting a top mount intercooler to the 80 just waiting for some silicone hoses and a scoop of an Isuzu to get it finished then I will do a full write up if all goes well

5 litre gear oil shop was shut and with Thursday's trip seeming long away i spent a pleasant day messing about in the sun with things of no importance whatsoever , even painted the manifold heat shield and put some hammerite underbody seal on the sump guard to test
View attachment 105502

6pm and happy i have enough bits and bob's left to do to make tomorrow feel like a productive day and with a day to spare for the unforeseen i put my tools away .

That's when she informed me that she has paid for my truck to go in for a full valet and they will need it all day Wednesday :icon-eek:

Went back out to drain the diffs and would you believe the rear filler plug has fell out with me :icon-rolleyes:

I told you to wash your hands and put your feet up didn't I? :icon-rolleyes: :eusa-naughty: :lol:

Before i attack the diff filler plug with a chisel can anyone confirm the filler and drain plugs are the same ?

I have 2 new magnetic plugs here and i haven't actually drained the diff so i could let sleeping dogs lie but .....

From memory, yes they’re the same. I got mine off by hammering a next size down impact socket on to it.

Hi Shayne, yeh buddy they are the same,I did the same as Flint to get mine off but go steady as its not that thick of metal and soon dints if hit too hard mate.

Thanks Flint i had already trimmed my 24mm socket to remove the chamfer hoping get a better grip but the nut was pretty rounded . Making a mess of it with a chisel let me hammer the socket on and the oil still retains some transparency :doh:

Rear diff oil change every 18000 miles is recommended and i haven't done that in 6 months but some deep water crossings made me wonder so no harm no foul .

Last edited:
I'm liking this Hammerite stuff it's now soft but dry and white patches are appearing which i assume to be a good thing as it reminds me of Fertan rust converter which also produces white residue .
Hammerite underbody 001.JPG

Poetic justice
Note to self - when you steal stuff off Helen's truck make sure it fits before you paint it in future :)

Lucky me !

I thought to myself at 7pm "i didn't paint that manifold heat shield for nothing" so went out to fit it and found this
heater pipe 001.JPG

Heater pipes have been chaffing on the underside of the intercooler which almost certainly would have made sure my trip to Romania tomorrow would have went with a bang !

Lucky me !

I thought to myself at 7pm "i didn't paint that manifold heat shield for nothing" so went out to fit it and found this
View attachment 105594

Heater pipes have been chaffing on the underside of the intercooler which almost certainly would have made sure my trip to Romania tomorrow would have went with a bang !

That was a near miss Shayne, can you re-route or protect them somehow?

Now don't you be doing anything silly now, so close to D day :lol:

Pro fix - i twisted it down as best i can and put a bunch of industrial size sacrificial cable ties around them , no silicone pipe shops open this time of night .

Just got back in with more bad news i was going to fit my lhd angel eyes so removed a headlight and set about unmodifying the angels to get the beam pattern back where it was . That done i realized the other side can't be removed unless i remove the bumper :violence-bomb:

Yesterday changed engine oil and filter, checked levels in rad, gearbox,transfer and diffs, painted towbar support with POR, fitted new towbar sockets and bracket, removed front prop shaft, filled washer bottle with stuff that smells like blueberries (!), thought about washing…….

Back